Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan - Technique with no soul?

saibuster

I was always under the impression that Billy sheehan was all bells and whistles, playing with mad technique and thats about it.

but than i watched this video and technique, soul or whatever - its plain awesome!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5EDyD9D1Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5EDyD9D1Q[/url]

what do you guys think??

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='438703' date='Mar 18 2009, 09:46 PM']Billy is THE man!! :rolleyes: While he can effortlessley play all the'' tricks'',
he always urges everyone to play bass''in the pocket'' etc. and play the basics
as that's what it's all about. He just happens to be the jimi Hendrix of bass(imho) :)[/quote]
Dunno about the Hendrix bit but I agree with the rest of this.

Bill's always been a "bass player" ....he may be known for his solo playing but he's just as accomplished with the other stuff....one of the greatest Rock Bass players ever! There's some good stuff on his myspace from his new album Holy Cow.

I'm not sure that I'd apply the word 'soul' to that type of playing personally, but I do think that Billy is a totally brilliant bassist. There is no-one better than him at what he does.

I'm lucky to have both seen him play live and also met him - great bloke with a great attitude to his fans.

Note: Richie Kotken is an amazing guitarist as well.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='439137' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:41 PM']He clearly knows his stuff.... it's hardly a song you can hum along to though, is it? It's another one of those "muso" bands that just doesn't seem to translate to the UK at all.[/quote]

I dunno, some of the Mr Big stuff was quite commercial.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='439137' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:41 PM']He clearly knows his stuff.... it's hardly a song you can hum along to though, is it? It's another one of those "muso" bands that just doesn't seem to translate to the UK at all.[/quote]

Hmmm... bit of a 'general' comment that! :)

Don't forget they had a #1 with 'To Be With You' so hardly [b]not[/b] translating to the general public of the UK...

This is just one of their few 'riff/technique' songs....
Most of their albums contain numerous memorable melodies/vocal lines & grooves/riffs.... which you would know if you'd listened to their other work... :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='cetera' post='439160' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:56 PM']Don't forget they had a #1 with 'To Be With You' so hardly [b]not[/b] translating to the general public of the UK...

Most of their albums contain numerous memorable melodies/vocal lines & grooves/riffs.... which you would know if you'd listened to their other work... :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Quick trip to YouTube..... So that's who did that.... bloody awful soft rock IMHO. Gets coat blah blah...

(Seriously, that was a number 1??)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='439165' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:01 PM']Quick trip to YouTube..... So that's who did that.... bloody awful soft rock IMHO. Gets coat blah blah...

(Seriously, that was a number 1??)[/quote]

Maybe so, but it's one you can hum to :)

[quote name='Jase' post='439169' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:03 PM']Maybe so, but it's one you can hum to :)[/quote]

Fair point.... just to be sexist as well as generalist, the song somehow gets much more tolerable here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4sxJhW3tk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4sxJhW3tk[/url]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='439178' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:06 PM']Fair point.... just to be sexist as well as generalist, the song somehow gets much more tolerable here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4sxJhW3tk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4sxJhW3tk[/url][/quote]

Tidy voice.

Wish I suffered from lack of soul/overdose of technique like that! In 25 years of playing I haven't got any further than throwing in a few blues scale licks here and there, although in fairness I probably stand more chance of getting rebooked at the Dog and Patridge on a Friday night, an ambition Billy might never fulfil I fear.

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='439222' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:39 PM']Wish I suffered from lack of soul/overdose of technique like that! In 25 years of playing I haven't got any further than throwing in a few blues scale licks here and there, although in fairness I probably stand more chance of getting rebooked at the Dog and Patridge on a Friday night, an ambition Billy might never fulfil I fear.[/quote]

Yes, these legends have no chance stealing our toilet gigs! :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='439221' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:39 PM']I didn't know Richie Koetzen was in Mr Big.

Billy Sheehan's cool. There's no point pretending otherwise. Even with that ponytail.[/quote]

There *is* something a bit sad about guys over 40 with a pony tail. Mind you, I'm as bald as a baldy thing so I'm not sure I'm allowed an opinion.