Why become a member? ×

Not-American Classics?

thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='436826' date='Mar 17 2009, 01:20 AM']Gordon-Smith - I think their Les Paul models are modern classics and I love them, but I've never seen a GS bass - again, pics?[/quote]

My GS Galaxy (1984) - the only "modern" sounding bass I've ever liked, although it looks like a vintage one. They did a few others too, sadly only guitars now, but still handmade at a small workshop near Manchester. :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='437598' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:33 PM']My GS Galaxy (1984) - the only "modern" sounding bass I've ever liked, although it looks like a vintage one. They did a few others too, sadly only guitars now, but still handmade at a small workshop near Manchester. :)[/quote]

I've never seen one of those before. Nice one. :rolleyes:

Shaggy, is that Gordon Smith the one that was on eBay about a year or so ago? That's the only GS bass I've every seen. The guitars play and sound nice but they're all pretty much adaptations of established designs.

thisnameistaken, obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I personally think the Overwater Originals are as cool as f**k, and find most traditional bass designs seemingly stuck in the 50s and 60s...

BTW I had a look at your profile, but there's no info there. So I can get where your coming from with this question what bass(es) do you use and what music do you play?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='437598' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:33 PM']My GS Galaxy (1984) - the only "modern" sounding bass I've ever liked, although it looks like a vintage one. They did a few others too, sadly only guitars now, but still handmade at a small workshop near Manchester. :)[/quote]

Yeah, that looks nice - especially the unusual f holes although I would file it under quirky rather than classic.

The original Warwick thumb is one of the few non-US basses I would call a classic, (as long as you don't wear it under your chin MK style.... :rolleyes: )

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='437109' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:21 PM']In the current music scene I can't see a lot of movement away from the vintage Fender market myself. I'm not aware of anything contemporary and distinctive which is drawing most teenage bass players away from that. Warwick was about as close as it got, in my view. But I'm sure there are some teen bassists on the forum who could describe what they think they'd like to own 20 years from now?[/quote]

The style of music and the instruments used are linked, a hundred years ago it was all about the brass instuments in big bands and stuff, now its all about the guitar in rock.
As music changes then so too will the instruments. So in 20 years time if you want to play late 20th century rock numbers like lots of you guys in cover bands 9 times out of ten a Fender bass or something will be best as it works the best for that.

I wonder what will happen in 20 years.
The opening of accessibility and instantness of life I think will work against the practice needed to learn an(y) instrument, i would expect to see bass guitars replaced with synths and keyboards.
The backlash against this will be a return to skill of playing being valued. However will the electric bass by then not be seen as an antiquated part of the old style of 'rock'? Will folk play the violin instead? Who knows?

anyway...
Burns
Warwick Thumb
and some status
its just as hard to think of many iconic classics made in the last 20 years yet alone outside the US. I was expecting more from the far east, I suppose that generic Ibanez rock look they have is quite classic to me (and makes me reach for a P bass every time!)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='437655' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:27 PM']thisnameistaken, obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I personally think the Overwater Originals are as cool as f**k, and find most traditional bass designs seemingly stuck in the 50s and 60s...[/quote]

Sorry, I just saw "Overwater" and didn't think of the Original. Yeah that's a kooky bass, but I'm not really sold on it in design terms, looks a bit like a kid's jotter sketch if you know what I mean. A bit half-baked. Still, you're right, at least it's not overtly derivative.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='437655' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:27 PM']BTW I had a look at your profile, but there's no info there. So I can get where your coming from with this question what bass(es) do you use and what music do you play?[/quote]

I've got a Stingray and a Thumb, and I play hip-hop influenced pop music, I suppose is the easiest way to describe it. I didn't start the thread because I have any real need for a "classic"-looking bass, I just wondered what's out there in terms of alternatives to the Fenders, Rics and Stingrays we usually see indie bands swinging. I was thinking of basses that can compete with them for classic cool, rather than odd/quirky designs (of which there seems to be a plentiful supply).

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='437695' date='Mar 17 2009, 07:19 PM']i would expect to see bass guitars replaced with synths and keyboards.[/quote]

That already happened in the '80s, people still liked the sound of bass guitars though so they didn't go away altogether.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='437695' date='Mar 17 2009, 07:19 PM']The backlash against this will be a return to skill of playing being valued.[/quote]

That already happened too. Try convincing anyone who listens to modern "prog" bands that music can be valuable even without a 25-minute guitar solo in the middle.

[quote name='Jase' post='437772' date='Mar 17 2009, 08:40 PM']Vox, Burns...so damn ugly, still classic I suppose....ugly classics![/quote]

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but how can you say these are ugly!

The phantom even won a design award. Though not from a bass player, obviously! :)

[quote name='Musky' post='437878' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:43 PM']I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but how can you say these are ugly!

The phantom even won a design award. Though not from a bass player, obviously! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oooo....nasty basses! Each to his own though :)

[quote name='Musky' post='437878' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:43 PM']I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but how can you say these are ugly!

[/quote]

That's got a kind of chic '60s vibe about it. I think I like it. :)

Bear in mind the '60s had some equally ugly pop stars. They weren't going to play guitars that looked better than they did.

My old Shergolds

and the Wal Pro1

Funnily enough a similar body shape. The Wal fitted the Shergold flightcases

The Shergolds were my first proper basses and I gigged them for getting on for 10 years. The Wal has been my sole gigging bass for pretty much the last 23 years until the G&L came on board and the Wal was semi retired to recording & special occasions Edited by WalMan

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='436826' date='Mar 17 2009, 01:20 AM']Aria SB range - Bit plain, but the best suggestion yet.[/quote]
So the Aria SB isn't a classic, but the Yam BB is? Hmm. This is all very subjective.

[quote]Manson - Does he even make basses? Another boutique nobody - NO![/quote]
Boutique [i]nobody[/i]? John Paul Jones would disagree! The Mansons have been making basses for decades. I would suggest that the Kestrel bass from the early 80s is something of a design classic:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='437426' date='Mar 17 2009, 03:47 PM']But they were never cool. The only British manufacturer who had a distinctive shape was Status, and that literally was "too modern". It looks very dated now, not in a good way.[/quote]
Define 'cool', define 'dated'. It's in the eye of the beholder.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='437655' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:27 PM']Shaggy, is that Gordon Smith the one that was on eBay about a year or so ago? That's the only GS bass I've every seen. The guitars play and sound nice but they're all pretty much adaptations of established designs.[/quote]
Off ebay, but around mid December last year - it may well have been on before though. Never seen another either, although Joe Garcia here has a Rick copy he thinks may be a GS - as you say, most were copies of classic designs with simplified lines, basic but extremely well made.

Back to the OP, a glance at my sig shows I'm a fan of old Americana, maybe it's that rock n' roll started there but Fender, Gibson, and Rickenbacker just seemed to nail the iconic designs early on - improving on them is like improving a Coke bottle, then Alembic nailed the boutique exotic wood / custom electrics blueprint. Even a Wal is basically a Fender design with neat electronics. I agree with earlier posters - amps and quirkiness is where we excel - though I had a 1966 Vox teardrop guitar (now traded with EvilLordJuju) that had pre-IC electrics a decade ahead of it's time and looked as cool as f* :)

Until last week I owned a Hayman 4040 - cousin to the Shergold. I'd say it was giggable in as much as I did use it for a gig. Lovely thing, beautifully made but, for me, a pig to play. Moved on to a more appreciative owner now.

Here's some pics, anyway.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='436826' date='Mar 17 2009, 01:20 AM']Westone - I remember lots of people learning on Thunder models. OK then - [b]Not-American Classic[/b] - but ugly![/quote]

... but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I learned on a Thunder 1A and always loved the individual look of those basses. So when I upgraded to a more "professional" bass, it was the Thunder III that I still use now. Every time I open its case I'm pleased I had the will-power not to be lured by the chance to own a ubiquitous-looking Fender Jazz for almost the same money.

But aesthetics aside; I can confirm that my Thunder III has been an extremely well made bass that takes gigging in its stride.

[quote name='Rich' post='437981' date='Mar 18 2009, 07:48 AM']So the Aria SB isn't a classic, but the Yam BB is? Hmm. This is all very subjective.[/quote]

Yeah that was a bit silly. The Arias should be in.

[quote name='Rich' post='437981' date='Mar 18 2009, 07:48 AM']Boutique [i]nobody[/i]? John Paul Jones would disagree! The Mansons have been making basses for decades. I would suggest that the Kestrel bass from the early 80s is something of a design classic:
[/quote]

Are you serious? Anyway, nothing with a figured top is going in this list. This is for [i]cool[/i] basses.

[quote name='Rich' post='437981' date='Mar 18 2009, 07:48 AM']So the Aria SB isn't a classic, but the Yam BB is? Hmm. This is all very subjective.

Boutique [i]nobody[/i]? John Paul Jones would disagree! The Mansons have been making basses for decades. I would suggest that the Kestrel bass from the early 80s is something of a design classic:

Define 'cool', define 'dated'. It's in the eye of the beholder.[/quote]

Thanks Rich!

I rest my case...!

[quote name='Paul S' post='438045' date='Mar 18 2009, 09:27 AM']Until last week I owned a Hayman 4040 - cousin to the Shergold. I'd say it was giggable in as much as I did use it for a gig. Lovely thing, beautifully made but, for me, a pig to play. Moved on to a more appreciative owner now.

Here's some pics, anyway.[/quote]

Never seen one of those before. Great looking thing!