Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

• 2 weeks later...

I've had SR Premiums and Prestiges over the years and have always used the good old guitar cable, but now I don't gig any more I wondered about one of the cheaper wireless systems for couch noodling etc with my current  Premiums .

However, every time I look at one these "keyring" type cheapies,  I think "that's never going to fit an Ibanez SR jack socket". Or worse, get stuck in it.

Is there anything worth having apart from the Line6 G10mk11, that's compact and can deal with an active Pre ?

Edited by 2pods
context

41 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I've had SR Premiums and Prestiges over the years and have always used the good old guitar cable, but now I don't gig any more I wondered about one of the cheaper wireless systems for couch noodling etc with my current  Premiums .

IMG_3108.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg

They fit fine

• Like 1

Just looking on some of the reviews on Amazon saying that they are getting a whining sound (no, I don't mean me ;)) whenever the the pre amp is switched in. 

Mind you, they weren't the same make of your's 

These were Donner and the like. About £50

Edited by 2pods

Basschat + Credit cards + online buying/free delivery + generous shop return policies = a dangerous thing!

I've just bought a EHB1005MS which should arrive tomorrow. Usually I spend a lot of time trying out different Basses in shops before buying or I buy second hand but I figured the best way to really test is with a slightly longer-term tryout including a few hours playing through my pedals/amp/cab with a band to see how it sounds and feels.

If what people say on here and the online reviews (Patrick Hunter "one of the best Basses I've ever played" and LowEndLobster "This is absolutely hands down one of my favorite Basses in my collection" I'm expecting to be impressed.

My slight reservation is that my current Jazz Bass has a look that would fit in almost any situation, whereas this EHB is a more divisive look, that's potentially a slight downside for certain band auditions for particularaly image concious bands....but then again, I don't think many people actually notice or care as much about the look of Bass guitars as us Bass players think they do!  

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

I've just joined the ranks of Ibanez owners with an SRF705, which is jolly nice.

SRF705.thumb.jpg.71274d13f710877da3a639ee49a19879.jpg

The piezo bridge was a significant factor in wanting this. If only they'd put piezo bridge saddles on the EHB1505 and done a fretless version...

• Like 5

Just bought an affordable ticked to this club with an Ibanez GSR205b. I wanted a bass to see if I can get into five strings, but at a price I would not really regret. I couldn't be happier with the choice, great value for money.

I am particularly impressed with the neck, not only because it is slim - this is just a know fact - but because it came (I understand straight out of factory, although I bought it in a shop) with a very low action with minimal buzzing. Height for E at 12th fret 2.5mm, and relief... little more than 0.05mm. Basically flat! So I guess very good fretwork.

Strings feel low tension, which I like, although this may be an impression I get because of the low action. Does anyone know what these strings might be?

20220331_200214.jpg

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

Strings feel low tension, which I like, although this may be an impression I get because of the low action. Does anyone know what these strings might be?

20220331_200214.jpg

All the Ibanez basses I have bought new came with a D’Addario tag hanging off them, so I assumed they were OEM on all their basses. However, I notice the spec on the Ibanez website doesn’t mention string manufacturer for this one, whereas for some other models it gives the D’Addario code. I guess there might be a price point below which D’Addario are too expensive for OEM.

Edit: I have always found D’Addario work well on Ibanez basses, although I tend to go for a full medium, or light set, rather than the light top/medium bottom sets they tend to put on OEM. I find the hybrid sets a little too bright on the top end but they are probably ideal for slapping (which I don’t do).

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

Embracing the early 90s futurism of this Bass (seems to me it wouldn't be out of place in the Back to the Future 2 version of the future) with glowing fret and knob markers:

20220401_131130.thumb.jpg.1d190eb518dd794470d379b51ce3c84e.jpg

....am tempted to get carried away and go full-on Tron style and add purely cosmetic glowing lines and dots on the pickups and bridge and headstock. It's hardly a subtle looking Bass so not much point holding back!

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Obrienp said:

All the Ibanez basses I have bought new came with a D’Addario tag hanging off them, so I assumed they were OEM on all 

Edit: I have always found D’Addario work well on Ibanez basses, although I tend to go for a full medium, or light set, rather than the light top/medium bottom sets they tend to put on OEM. I find the hybrid sets a little too bright on the top end but they are probably ideal for slapping (which I don’t do).

Interesting note on the string, which I will have to change one day I guess! Does anyone know how reportedly low-tension roundwounds such as DR sunbeams or TI Jazz would fit on a SR-serie bass?

[Edit] I have just learnt that Ibanez actually makes strings:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_iebs5c_e_bass_string_set_045.htm that might be what they put on the cheapest basses!

Edited by Paolo85
Add new info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the general consensus on the (relatively) newer SR300E basses? With the Powerspan pickups.

I'm looking for a cheap but solid bass for a metal project that might happen (ie looking to reduce outlay if it doesn't happen).

I'll be using it for a drop tuning, like drop C#.

Thanks

Si

On 01/04/2022 at 21:30, Paolo85 said:

Interesting note on the string, which I will have to change one day I guess! Does anyone know how reportedly low-tension roundwounds such as DR sunbeams or TI Jazz would fit on a SR-serie bass?

[Edit] I have just learnt that Ibanez actually makes strings:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_iebs5c_e_bass_string_set_045.htm that might be what they put on the cheapest basses!

I’ve had TI Jazz Flats on my SR900. They played really nice, and I got the neck pretty much flat. But they didn’t sound as good as LaBella DTB flats which I’ve been using forever on other basses. YMMV of course. 

37 minutes ago, Sibob said:

What is the general consensus on the (relatively) newer SR300E basses? With the Powerspan pickups.

I'm looking for a cheap but solid bass for a metal project that might happen (ie looking to reduce outlay if it doesn't happen).

I'll be using it for a drop tuning, like drop C#.

Thanks

Si

If it's a close enough comparison to be any use, I have a 2021 made SR305eb and I'm quite happy with it for the money. The woodwork, frets and finishing seem to be at about the same level of finesse as on my SR506e, the stock tuners are solid and the powerspan pickups and electronics work effectively and sound good in their own right.

The worst thing for me was the B125 (so B120 for the 4 strings?) bridge which had a couple of issues...

- some of the grub screws for action adjustment kept working loose so a couple of the saddles would eventually hit the deck after playing for a while - fixable with some thread-lock, but irritating.

- the intonation screws don't pass all way through the body of the saddles (like they would through the barrels on a BBOT, for example) so if you need to really pull a saddle back, you can find that you're at the extent of the available adjustment unless you get a shorter intonation screw from somewhere - or grab a hacksaw. Similarly, if you need to really push a saddle forward, you're never sure when it's about to come off the end of the screw. I set mine up with Warwick Red 45/65/85/105/135s and had both situations happen. Again, fixable with a couple of 50p packs of screws from Amazon, but...

As soon as I knew I was keeping it, I bought mine a B305 bridge which solves both of those issues but was only available in cosmo black, so that prompted me to change the tuners, knobs and straplocks to match. I've just totted up the invoices and it owes me £395 all-in, but I find that completely acceptable for the end result; it looks quite classy and I'm confident it'll be a really solid backup when I get back out and gigging.

Suitability for metal: confirmed

• Like 1