Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I wouldn’t go near that. No guarantees the body is original, even if it is it could be filled on. The changed hardware rings alarm bells too. Reckon that’s about £2k at best as most vintage dealers wouldn’t touch it. 

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

A more interesting question would be would he let you collect? 

Delivering and cash on delivery seems like a handy way of not having a paper trail at all.... 

See what you mean but we would have done it outside of ebay/reverb as a private sale. 

43 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

See what you mean but we would have done it outside of ebay/reverb as a private sale. 

No I mean - someone floating eBay sales looking for a price, too private sale is ok… but high value items I like to know who the person is or have some kind of contact details or something … so if something goes wrong it’s Barry who lives x who you need to talk too…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

No I mean - someone floating eBay sales looking for a price, too private sale is ok… but high value items I like to know who the person is or have some kind of contact details or something … so if something goes wrong it’s Barry who lives x who you need to talk too…

I think that's important too.

I know from personal experience how things can go wrong. I once had a police officer knock on my door looking for a bass three years after I bought it. In this case I could direct them to where I bought it, and who currently owned it, and the original owner was finally reunited with his stolen bass. The full story is longer and more interesting, but it did involve a bass custom built by Manson for John Deacon of Queen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

I’ve often thought of getting a YOB precision, in my case 1973 but I would be scared to death to buy anything other than a bass that was either known to this forum, or from someone such as Andy Baxter. 😬

Oh no! I'm after the same, for the same reason. I may have to widen my search of models, so we don't get into a bidding war! 🤣

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just been chatting to the owner of these two 1964 Precisions, he's gigging them in a few minutes. Holding them was a near-religious experience.

20220416_205044.thumb.jpg.832c5929f70f6aef9a1ad7f4bfc013cf.jpg

Nice! (although they both appear to be sporting the '65 - '67 transition decals from where I'm sitting 🕵‍♂️)

39 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Nice! (although they both appear to be sporting the '65 - '67 transition decals from where I'm sitting 🕵‍♂️)

You’ve got good eyes 😁, I thought 64 was the transition logo from spaghettini style or did they change it again in 65-67 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

You’ve got good eyes 😁, I thought 64 was the transition logo from spaghettini style or did they change it again in 65-67 

No it was spaghetti logo until '64, transition logo 65-67  then massive TV logo 68-70something.

Funny you should mention my eyes...can't see sh!t now as I've just lost my glasses at the swimming pool!🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I saw the L serial numbers which are 63 to 65.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thunder there. I'm a total geek and can't help it.

I'm sure I'd be finding religion too if I'd had a go of those beautys!

Btw, a '65 P is the holiest of holys for me. My two fave P bassers both play '65s - Scott Thunes of Zappa infamy and Paz Lenchantin of The Entrance Band (now with Pixies).

Lucky chap there who has not one,  but TWO! 

Fair do's. 

• Like 1

On 13/04/2022 at 12:43, Burns-bass said:

I wouldn’t go near that. No guarantees the body is original, even if it is it could be filled on. The changed hardware rings alarm bells too. Reckon that’s about £2k at best as most vintage dealers wouldn’t touch it. 

Its a bitsa with no provenance. If a Fender bitsa is what the buyer wants they could, with diligence, make their own for 7 or 800 sheets, possibly less.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I managed to score a '65 P finally a couple of weeks ago.

It needs a good clean, a fix and a fettle but should be good. I'll do a NBD about it once it's had it's M.O.T. by my tech mate.

Ooh nice one, I’ll look forward to seeing it 👍, I prefer the B neck or I would have one straight away 

• Like 1