Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

You'll see that on non-capped maple necks, 'cos there's no board to lift off. Hence the plug & skunk-stripe.

Yes it’s on maple neck’s I’ve seen it, does that mean the rod has been changed , or it was done so they could fit the rod 

Edited by Reggaebass

18 hours ago, Bunion said:

Here we go 

I've never heard of a bi-flex before. Presumably it can push against the plug to bow the neck, like a double acting truss rod.

Begs the question, has anyone, anywhere, ever had to use a truss rod to  increase the bow on a neck?

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've never heard of a bi-flex before. Presumably it can push against the plug to bow the neck, like a double acting truss rod.

Begs the question, has anyone, anywhere, ever had to use a truss rod to  increase the bow on a neck?

Similar topic discussed in this video around the 9min mark. I’d never heard of it before.

As someone who has never gone near adjusting a truss rod watching this made me feel ill! 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Strange one here, it’s advertised as a 1967 precision with a factory fitted jazz neck ? 

A3B6D8DE-47FF-4E66-9348-13562EEC2074.jpeg

Fender offered the choice of about 4 different necks. That is the A neck. I have the same on my 68 Precision.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: I guess they could as a custom order, but the only one I've ever seen is in the Fender Bass Book.

I’m guessing it’s been put together by someone, so a bitsa possibility  or very rare, looks kinda cool though 

Edited by Reggaebass

I quite fancy one to use and as an investment. I’m leaving something of my old life behind; it was traumatic and some money will come of it. Maybe retail therapy will help as I’ll have got something (nice) out of it 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, WishICouldWalk said:

Great looking bass. Interesting it has a P decal on the jazz neck.

I’ve got a ‘71 Precision with a Jazz neck and it has the Precision decal rather than a Jazz one.

I’m fairly certain that was how it was done for factory/special orders…

Edited by Old Man Riva
Forgot the year?!
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Blocks, though..?

*sharp intake of breath*

Was just pointing out the similarities between the headstocks (esp. decal and lollipops); the blocks I genuinely have no idea about! 

I must admit I’ve never seen that combination on a Fender before, other than Bobby Vega putting a discarded ‘60s Jazz neck on a Precision body, and some of the latest CS range that feature a P bass with a Jazz (blocks) neck.

That said, with 60s Fenders nothing would surprise me! 

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1