Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

A good 72 is worth more than an average 68; they're basically of the same vintage. Pre 65 is where the big money is, with 65 and some 66 on the cusp.

68 is well into CBS territory so intrinsically no more attractive just because it's 4 years older than a 72. Dealers will continue to ratchet prices upwards based on age alone it seems, but we know there are great basses and dogs from all Fender era.

For some the 70s era specs are more desirable. Bridge pickup, extended G string saddle, 3vs 4 bolt ect.

Edited by OliverBlackman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

It has everything to do with age, you won’t find a 68 P less money than a 72, I’ve been looking for a 68 for quite a while and there’s none for sale, 68 are always 6k and a 72 is 4K now 

Agreed, the prices are higher but for no good reason. There's nothing rare about 68s or anything that makes them better than a 72. 

4 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Agreed, the prices are higher but for no good reason. There's nothing rare about 68s or anything that makes them better than a 72. 

There’s very little that makes a pre-CBS jazz better than a new one. I wouldn’t attempt to apply logic here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

For some the 70s era specs are more desirable. Bridge pickup, extended G string saddle, 3vs 4 bolt ect.

And still somehow the Jazzes from just before that (let's say 69-71) are particularly hard to find. When I found my 1970 Jazz (and overpaid for it) it was the only bass from that era I could find in NL, Belgium and Germany. Older or newer than that was no problem.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

There’s very little that makes a pre-CBS jazz better than a new one. I wouldn’t attempt to apply logic here.

It’s all in the mojo and magic dust 🙂, are they better, possibly not but they are certainly different, I think it’s just what you find more appealing, will my 2019 jazz still be around in 63 years like the one above, I really don’t know 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

That's also true but pre CBS are more desirable to many simply because of the direct link with Leo Fender and a degree of rarity. My CS Pino is as good as any P I've ever tried but it's probably still only worth a third of my genuine 1961.

Screenshot_20231117_071348_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ed2c9886469c11cc18dbfd738d2ab1b0.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, BassAgent said:

And still somehow the Jazzes from just before that (let's say 69-71) are particularly hard to find. When I found my 1970 Jazz (and overpaid for it) it was the only bass from that era I could find in NL, Belgium and Germany. Older or newer than that was no problem.

Sod's Law says that whenever you are wanting a specific year (YOB for instance) of manufacture it won't be available until you've bought something else. I was after a 62 and ended up with 61, 63 and 64. :dash1:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Sod's Law says that whenever you are wanting a specific year (YOB for instance) of manufacture it won't be available until you've bought something else. I was after a 62 and ended up with 61, 63 and 64. :dash1:

The struggle is real. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Yeah I feel pretty lucky being from 1990: nothing interesting happened then.

Well, except for the Heartfield (which I still really want) and the Kubicki Jazz.

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BassAgent said:

Yeah I feel pretty lucky being from 1990: nothing interesting happened then.

Well, except for the Heartfield (which I still really want) and the Kubicki Jazz.

Is 1990 old enough to be considered vintage? It feels that way for me 😂 there’s also basses such as Wal, Ken Smith but yes all boutique stuff. Nobody wants a ‘90 Fender 

I have an 89 Squier MIK Telecaster. It's an S9 model and I brought it because it was wonderful to play and was the nicest in the shop (in my price range) full of old guitars. 

Its picky over amps and amp simulator but choose the right one and it's wonderful. 

It it going to be worth gazillions? Doubt it but I brought it to play (badly) and won't sell it. Well I will for £1,000, I'm that shallow.

I suspect lots of people will turn their noses up at it but I think it's brilliant 

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Is 1990 old enough to be considered vintage? It feels that way for me 😂 there’s also basses such as Wal, Ken Smith but yes all boutique stuff. Nobody wants a ‘90 Fender 

Didn’t there used to be a definition? I recall it was 25 years, but I could be wrong. In the early 90’s I bought a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. It was only 27 years old then, but it was considered vintage. I still have it! 

On the other hand I have a 1987 MIJ Fender PB-62 Reissue. It’s a great bass, and it’s 36 years old,  but I don’t consider it as vintage! 

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

13 hours ago, briansbrew said:

Want to buy my 62 🤭

Depends on what you want for it. I'd love a Dec 62 as it's my DOB but suspect there might be a teensy weensy gap between your price and what I can afford :)

The value is what people will pay and if some stockbroker wants a Dec 62 bass, the chances of me competing with them is slightly less that square root of Foxtrot Oscar.

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rwillett said:

Depends on what you want for it. I'd love a Dec 62 as it's my DOB but suspect there might be a teensy weensy gap between your price and what I can afford :)

The value is what people will pay and if some stockbroker wants a Dec 62 bass, the chances of me competing with them is slightly less that square root of Foxtrot Oscar.

Rob

Prices have gone mad Rob, mine is a Sept 62 which has been refretted and refinished in its original fiesta red, neck was also refinisshed by a reputable Luthier in Hemel so I will not get the market value as it would be classed as non original but it has been very well finished and lightweight...

• Like 2