Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

32 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I've had two of those cases, they were often sold from new with the guitar, so it could be that it is in fact the "original case" that came with the bass, in fact I'd put money on it. Many Fenders in the early 60's were shipped over to the UK without Fender cases and then sold with Selmer cases. As for it's value, do a comparison with similar items, there are a few around at the moment. If it can be had for significantly less than those currently advertised, then it might be worth a gamble. There are a number of concerns for me, the neck (what's it actually like now?), the truss rod and the pickup, do they work? 

Tony, is there any opportunity to go and have a look?

I also wondered about the truss rod/neck. The truss rod adjustment nut looks a bit worn, particularly given that it’s supposed to have been stored for 54 years, so all the action was in the first 7 years of its life. Was the reason it was put away all those years ago because there was a problem with the neck? Also, I see the strings are not tensioned so does that suggest a neck issue or is that just because it’s been in storage? It would be a punt without seeing it in the flesh. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks SM, that was the first question I asked when it was listed, haven’t heard back yet 

I couldn’t find anything about them really, bit before my time 😁, I wasn’t actively looking but I’m on their mailing list and it looked interesting 

Please let us know if you get a response to your questions. 

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

I also wondered about the truss rod/neck. The truss rod adjustment nut looks a bit worn, particularly given that it’s supposed to have been stored for 54 years, so all the action was in the first 7 years of its life. Was the reason it was put away all those years ago because there was a problem with the neck? Also, I see the strings are not tensioned so does that suggest a neck issue or is that just because it’s been in storage? It would be a punt without seeing it in the flesh. 

Perhaps it's just me, but it always feels like a red flag when I see a recessed body-end truss rod nut. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I've had two of those cases, they were often sold from new with the guitar, so it could be that it is in fact the "original case" that came with the bass, in fact I'd put money on it. Many Fenders in the early 60's were shipped over to the UK without Fender cases and then sold with Selmer cases. As for it's value, do a comparison with similar items, there are a few around at the moment. If it can be had for significantly less than those currently advertised, then it might be worth a gamble. There are a number of concerns for me, the neck (what's it actually like now?), the truss rod and the pickup, do they work? 

Tony, is there any opportunity to go and have a look?

From my experience the 71 Precision that I have came to me with a lot of rust on the hardware, probably been left in a damp enviroment. Anyway I had to make a neck adjustment and found that the truss ros was seized, took it to my luthier who had to remove the fretbaord to install a new rod, the old was was badly rusted so I ended up with a new board and frets which is fine as I got it for a fair price.

Looking at this one I would be concerned with the condition of the neck as it appears that some of the finish near the heel looks like damp/mould penetration and not to mention the amount of dings especially as it was only played for a short numner of years.

Normal patina is fine but the rust and pitting  would put me off, I think a good inspection by someone on here who lives close by would help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It must have been stored in a damp environment, or at least one with extreme cold, like a loft, to have that much corrosion. It doesn’t bode well for the electrics. The bridge, saddles and height adjustment screws look surprisingly good, considering the level of rust elsewhere.

Very interesting prospect, but you would 100% have to inspect in person.

if it were a Jazz Bass, I’d be there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi guys, what are you thinking on this , in need of cleaning and maybe some restoration as it’s been in storage for apparently 54 years 😧, what’s it worth and what would be the value once restored 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10703/lot-0e92cae3-582c-4775-9521-b06600ee80cd

Does the bridge intonation screw for the E-string look shorter than the other three or is that an optical illusion due to the saddle being set lower?

• Like 1

Depending on the auction price and condition, this bass could be a bargain or a big mistake. Bear in mind that an auction house in Scarborough will have zero knowledge of the finer points of Zen and the art of bass guitar maintenance. Major structural repairs to the bass have the potential double whammy of being expensive and devaluing the bass at the same time.

Buying a vintage bass that you have played that has potential but needs a bit of work is one thing. Buying a salvageable wreck in the hope that you will enjoy it when it's been renovated is another thing entirely. I would want to get my hands on the bass before I comitted myself. Even then, you wouldn't be able to assess the state of the pickup and electrics without a proper amplified play on the bass.

Potentially a good find, though. I can understand the temptation to take a gamble.

• Like 4

That look awful, really terrible. In fact so bad that I feel I need to take it off you just so you don't have to look at it what is, to be frank, a pretty bad guitar. 

There is no charge for this service, I do it as a gesture of goodwill that I extend to anybody with a pre 62 bass. Please, no thanks necessary, just let me know the address and I'll be round shortly. Please pack the bass carefully though. 

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, rwillett said:

That look awful, really terrible. In fact so bad that I feel I need to take it off you just so you don't have to look at it what is, to be frank, a pretty bad guitar. 

There is no charge for this service, I do it as a gesture of goodwill that I extend to anybody with a pre 62 bass. Please, no thanks necessary, just let me know the address and I'll be round shortly. Please pack the bass carefully though. 

Thanks

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I left it out for the “dust man” he would not take it….so your offer is greatly appreciated😃

I actually I need this for my POSH gigs .. I tell them if you paid me more money I could afford a new bass 🤣🤣

Edited by onehandclapping
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

You just have to love the levels of support shown on Basschat, with Rob clearly willing to go above & beyond to help out where needed 😂

Thats me down to a 'T'. I will always go the extra mile or 100 miles to help people out. Think of me as an angel of mercy helping you declutter and take old things away. I do this a charitable effort and I do not look for thanks. I prefer to work quietly and so just let me know when I can pick this up and take this weight off your shoulders.

I'm completely flexible as well, I will pick up old Les Pauls and Strats, I swing both ways. It's not a problem at all.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by rwillett
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Thats me down to a 'T'. I will always go the extra mile or 100 miles to help people out. Think of me as an angel of mercy helping you declutter and take old things away. I do this a charitable effort and I do not look for thanks. I prefer to work quietly and so just let me know when I can pick this up and take this weight off your shoulders.

I'm completely flexible as well, I will pick up old Les Pauls and Strats, I swing both ways. It's not a problem at all.

Thanks

Rob

Do You do the twist, also ?

55 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Yes to the pots - 250k

No to the cap, the standard in the 70's was 0.047uf.

Cheers for the response. 

Oh so cap rating used now are different. 

while we are here what about the 57 (when they changed the design) then also 62 up until it was sold to cbs. 

This is very interesting. Learning a lot here. 

1 hour ago, soulstar89 said:

Cheers for the response. 

while we are here what about the 57 (when they changed the design) then also 62 up until it was sold to cbs. 

I don't pretend to be an expert, it's just that I own three 70's Fender basses. I think before around 1965 the cap was 0.1uf, which probably meant it rolled off more treble than the .047uf used later.

I'm sure there are others with more expertise than I.

Rob

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Cheers for the response. 

Looks like the 57 and 62 both had 250k pots , not sure about the cap though but a 66 I looked at had this cap

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I don't pretend to be an expert, it's just that I own three 70's Fender basses. I think before around 1965 the cap was 0.1uf, which probably meant it rolled off more treble than the .047uf used later.

I'm sure there are others with more expertise than I.

Rob

Cheers for info. You know more than me. Lol