Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

It's funny: recently, I had two incidents of people spontaneously complimenting me on my bass sound. First instance was when I just bought my USA Lakland, which is absolutely fabulous. Second instance was last weekend, when the guitar player of my ABBA tribute said "dude, this bass is amazing". It was my 1970. And I must say: I was actually pretty surprised by how well it worked. Amplifiers can hide a lot of imperfections on a bass, but the real test is playing it with in-ear monitoring, as we do with the ABBA tribute. And the low-mids on this bass are just...oh boy. So phat. So punchy.

IMG00012.thumb.JPG.eef4bdfdd04c1a847af0901e90b53ffe.JPGIMG00040.thumb.JPG.899f3fe81be47a37e759145c35b34d2a.JPG 

• Like 7

New kings road guitars have got a nice 62 precision in, my friend bought a very similar 62P from them 5 years ago and he’s still got it https://www.newkingsroadguitars.com/product-page/1962-fender-precision-bass-in-sunburst-finish

Edited by Reggaebass
Link not working
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

New kings road guitars have got a nice 62 precision in, my friend bought a very similar 62P from them 5 years ago and he’s still got it https://www.newkingsroadguitars.com/product-page/1962-fender-precision-bass-in-sunburst-finish

IMG_0715.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

IMG_0715.jpeg

Although that’s a decent chunk of money, that is definitely a handsome bass 👍 I bought a few guitars and amps from them over the years when I lived in west London, always liked visiting their shop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meterman said:

Although that’s a decent chunk of money, that is definitely a handsome bass 👍 I bought a few guitars and amps from them over the years when I lived in west London, always liked visiting their shop.

We both went to buy it 5 years ago but I changed my mind and my friend bought it, he still plays it in pubs now and again, it’s a good shop and nice people 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

it’s a good shop and nice people 

They’re not always everyone’s cup of tea but I’ll never forget Rick Z lending one of my bandmates a vintage Precision to do a studio session with, and he didn’t really even know the guy, he just figured if he was with us it would be okay. Didn’t ask for a deposit or anything. That’s pretty amazing behaviour for a vintage guitar shop!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, meterman said:

The price doesn’t seem too bad for a ‘62. Is that down to the non-original case and strap buttons and general condition, or is there more to it than that? For example, does the difference between the dates of the pots, neck and serial number suggest that it may have been pieced together?

12 hours ago, Velarian said:

The price doesn’t seem too bad for a ‘62. Is that down to the non-original case and strap buttons and general condition, or is there more to it than that? For example, does the difference between the dates of the pots, neck and serial number suggest that it may have been pieced together?

It's genuine and definitely not pieced together any more than other Fenders of that period. All Fender guitars were made up from parts made at different times. The vintage year is traditionally determined by the youngest dated component such as the neck, body or pots. Fender would buy bulk pots and serial number plates and they would be picked from stock bins relatively randomly so there is a fair degree of date tolerance when it comes to serial numbers. IMO a genuine period case would've added at least £500, maybe a fair bit more, to the price. I don't think the strap buttons are significant as a reliced modern pair would be indistinguishable from the originals. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, meterman said:

They’re not always everyone’s cup of tea but I’ll never forget Rick Z lending one of my bandmates a vintage Precision to do a studio session with, and he didn’t really even know the guy, he just figured if he was with us it would be okay. Didn’t ask for a deposit or anything. That’s pretty amazing behaviour for a vintage guitar shop!  

I find them to be cool. I last went about a month ago to try the 1980 precision bass. I always stay for a while and just chat lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

How did you get on, what did you think of it 

Hey. 

I really liked it. The neck was a gem to play. I think my wrist prefers 70’s profile pbass necks that are deep but slightly narrower in width. It was interesting as the pick-up poles was black never seen that before. I presume they are stock pick ups. 

I tried an another 70’s ash body maple neck pbass. I think the other one’s pick up had a tad more character. I was able to get the paul Jackson finger funk tone better. 

gutted that I injured my fretting hand so deciding which one is on hold atm sadly. 

Edited by soulstar89
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Andy Baxter has a ‘68 P bass, under 9 lbs, B width neck and nice condition. Given the prices I’ve seen recently, it doesn’t seem expensive in comparison.

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-basses/products/1968-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-1

Rob

Yeah I saw that, it looks really nice, he had a 68 a while back just under that price and it sold fairly quickly , I can’t see it being there long 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Will has got a nice 73 jazz in at the moment, I’m holding out for a maple and black block one but it’s quite tempting , few dings in the neck though https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1973-fender-jazz-bass-4/

Cheers Tony. I've sent them a message about this one. Watch this space! It would be a perfect partner to my '73 Precision in Sunburst/rosewood/tort.

Rob

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ossyrocks said:

Cheers Tony. I've sent them a message about this one. Watch this space! It would be a perfect partner to my '73 Precision in Sunburst/rosewood/tort.

Rob

It would be a nice match, good luck rob 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 12:00, soulstar89 said:

Hey. 

I really liked it. The neck was a gem to play. I think my wrist prefers 70’s profile pbass necks that are deep but slightly narrower in width. It was interesting as the pick-up poles was black never seen that before. I presume they are stock pick ups. 

I tried an another 70’s ash body maple neck pbass. I think the other one’s pick up had a tad more character. I was able to get the paul Jackson finger funk tone better. 

gutted that I injured my fretting hand so deciding which one is on hold atm sadly. 

After me racking my brains on the black poles in pick up. I found that kloppman pick up poles are indeed black just like the ones in the 1980 p bass I tried. 

what is the price range for a mid to late 70’s fender p bass?