Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

21 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

You got some fabulous basses there, thank you for sharing, can I ask how would you compare the 63 and 64 , is there much difference 

Thank you. They are very very similar both in the hand and tonally but due to the gigs I'm getting post covid I haven't played them for a while. However, an old schoolmate is looking for a YOB 63J so we'll be doing a comparison in a couple of weeks so I'll report back then. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Just a 64J

DSC_0403.thumb.jpg.ca1a5a0fc03770b69969d7f8668d4958.jpg

Is this my old one? 

That bass was considered the best original 64” that the vintage shop has ever seen. Nothing had ever been touched on it and they had every minute of its existence documented through the family.

7 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Is this my old one? 

That bass was considered the best original 64” that the vintage shop has ever seen. Nothing had ever been touched on it and they had every minute of its existence documented through the family.

No that's not the same bass. Mine came from the USA.

It's finally finished. The early 1963 VI I've been restoring for the last few months. It belonged to the owner's father and had been in the owner's attic in this crappy old gigbag for the last 20 years or so, with no strings. The bridge had disappeared, the foam on the mute had perished and I had no idea if the neck was still okay and if the electronics were still working. The body also looks like it had been suffering some mild moisture damage, so I was wondering if it had affected the hardware.

So at first I cleaned it, bought a bridge and strung it up; very carefully, because I didn't know what the neck would behave like after such a long time without any strings. Would it warp? Become a bow and arrow? No idea, so I gradually applied tension to it, a little bit extra every day for about a week.

And lo and behold: the neck held perfectly fine. The tremolo works. Two out of three pickups worked. The pots and switches are fine. Only thing that didn't work is the neck pickup, which had to be rewound.

And last week, it was finally finished. Well, almost. I haven't bought the foam for the mute yet; it's pretty hard to come by here in NL and I'm paying half of the purchase price in shipping if I get it from Germany.

The owner is coming by tonight to see it in the shape it is now. He hasn't seen it since november so I'm very curious about his reaction.

And now: photos of this very special instrument!

OyzafyY.jpg

Do7h1kD.jpg

RASnGth.jpg

54ZqIY0.jpg

QjAWOcs.jpg

1s0h84h.jpg

T6JgYyk.jpg

9NnRedG.jpg

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Wierd - year 63. and Fender built 6 string bass guitar ?! I didn't knew 6 string bass existed then allready. What's the name of the model ?

Yes, the VI. It's literally a bass guitar: tuned like a guitar (EADGBE) but an octave lower. You can still buy a Squier reissue model of this instrument, Fender also made a Japanese reissue and a Pawn Shop version (with a Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge position).

The Beatles used a late 60's VI on the Let It Be sessions:
lennon_fender_vi_bass-jpg-jpg.3634780

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Yes, the VI. It's literally a bass guitar: tuned like a guitar (EADGBE) but an octave lower. You can still buy a Squier reissue model of this instrument, Fender also made a Japanese reissue and a Pawn Shop version (with a Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge position).

The Beatles used a late 60's VI on the Let It Be sessions:
lennon_fender_vi_bass-jpg-jpg.3634780

There's likely a few people on here that have the Squier version (myself included) I think it's great, but opinions will differ widely I'm sure! 

Great to see the original you've been working on 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

There's likely a few people on here that have the Squier version (myself included) I think it's great, but opinions will differ widely I'm sure! 

Great to see the original you've been working on 👍

Opinions and minions differ for sure !😁

An original vintage Bass VI fetches silly money these days so I’m quite thankful there is an inexpensive offshore version available.

I’ve been quite surprised at the fun I’ve had goofing around on my Squier. I put the more recent heavier gauge Fender strings on it.

I like it a lot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

I haven't bought the foam for the mute yet; it's pretty hard to come by here in NL and I'm paying half of the purchase price in shipping if I get it from Germany.

Re: the foam - a mate of mine did a temporary fix with a piece of computer mouse mat cut to shape, it actually worked quite well 👍

Didn’t Jet Harris from The Shadows use a Bass IV for some recordings in the early 1960s? I know Jack Bruce from Cream used one too. Such cool basses. 

I also have a soft spot for the original and pretty weird 1960s Fender Bass V, but that’s my problem 😂

Edited by meterman