Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

40 minutes ago, bakerster135 said:

Although definitely rarer, it was possible to get a custom colour JB without a matching headstock. My Fiesta Red 65 has a tort plate and non-painted headstock from factory, and I know Martin Petersen from the Bass Gallery has/had one with identical spec. I've also seen quite a few other examples pop up at reputable vintage Fender retailers.

On the PB with matching headstock front, I'm sure Norm's Rare Guitars had one on their YouTube channel a while ago...

Also because Norm has an example of every single guitar ever built.

I saw this today and it warranted a second look:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/67439380-fender-jazzbass-1972-sunburst

Only because the neck is clearly dated '72, but as far as I'm aware they didn't start using pearl blocks with maple necks until mid 1973. This neck must have been hanging around a for a while.

Well I thought it was quite interesting anyway.

18 hours ago, briansbrew said:

Bit of a dilema guys, I have an early 70's Fretless precision and I am contemplating having it fretted, would this affect the resale value and is it worth doing. I dont play fretless that much so any feedback appreciated..

Why not get someone like Jon Shuker to build you a new neck? Then you will still have the fretless neck if you decide to sell... 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, peteb said:

Why not get someone like Jon Shuker to build you a new neck? Then you will still have the fretless neck if you decide to sell... 

Keep it and buy an early fretted Precision too would be my logic. You need both obviously.

This is a dangerous thread! I've just come across it and you see a £12k 64 P bass and think that's way too much. However, there is a very nice non-original 63 fiesta red P bass for £8k and you think that it's still too much, but not that ridiculous. Then you look at the other basses that seller has for sale and there is a nice early 70s s/b P bass for £5k and you start thinking, well possibly! Perhaps there is something similar out here, maybe a cheaper early 70s s/b P bass with a rosewood board, non-original but modded with a Badass bridge (like I would have put on myself) for £3 or £4k, then suddenly it's not so unaffordable! 

I've never really thought of buying a proper vintage bass before, although I've owned a fair few Fenders and gig a late 70s P bass now. But the temptation is there... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice bass! I doubt that case (with more pictures than the actual bass) is original to it. '71 should have a tailed logo. However.......it's purdy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

He's asking £1500

Sounds reasonable if it's in good nick. I played one in the old Bass Centre in 1996 actually. It was amazing. I've often thought about it. They cost about a grand back then, back when a grand was worth a lot more than it is now.

Man, that was nearly 30 years ago...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briansbrew said:

Hi Guys, I know this is slightly off topic but what are these worth,  1996 Fender Jazz Bass American Vintage 62 Reissue, stacked pots, black with tortoise pickguard..Looking at one but the price seems a bit high 

As a guide , I bought one that was a 2011 I think (V11) on the neckplate from Amsterdam in 2017 for £1600 , it was mint condition with all the case candy, can find a pic if you need it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

As a guide , I bought one that was a 2011 I think (V11) on the neckplate from Amsterdam in 2017 for £1600 , it was mint condition with all the case candy, can find a pic if you need it 

Yes I wouldnt mind seeing a pic please