Why become a member? ×

Thumb protection for slap bass

shoulderpet

Hi all

Have never really been much of a slap player but been getting more into it recently.  I have a little bit of arthiritis in my hands and find that if I play a lot of slap my thumb hurts a little bit at the point where the thumb makes contact with the string, my slap technique is sound so its an arthiritis thing rather than a technique issue.  Just wondering if there is anything I can use that anyone knows of to protect my thumb? I know Mark King uses gaffa tape but obviously tape is fairly thin so you need to use a fair bit of it each time, hoping someone has a good suggestion , thanks

Would something like a little neoprene sleeve do the job? 

You could buy a pair of surfing gloves and trim the fingers off and cut into a suitable size, you'd also get loads out of all ten fingers. 

There's these which are cheap and the extra small would probably ensure a snug fit. 

I don't what they'd do to the sound but these are only 2mm so could work. 

https://www.sportsdirect.com/gul-water-sport-gloves-888128?google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu8r4BRCzARIsAA21i_Ayy5_c5oMPcaEmZCAnbkW9MRnPU4L7JTezpmSIrJKz7E6pV15FM3oaAmleEALw_wcB#colcode=88812803&fo_c=3681&fo_k=0b6e024f8b1027751e719cdc40e3722e&fo_s=gplauk

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Would something like a little neoprene sleeve do the job? 

You could buy a pair of surfing gloves and trim the fingers off and cut into a suitable size, you'd also get loads out of all ten fingers. 

There's these which are cheap and the extra small would probably ensure a snug fit. 

I don't what they'd do to the sound but these are only 2mm so could work. 

https://www.sportsdirect.com/gul-water-sport-gloves-888128?google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu8r4BRCzARIsAA21i_Ayy5_c5oMPcaEmZCAnbkW9MRnPU4L7JTezpmSIrJKz7E6pV15FM3oaAmleEALw_wcB#colcode=88812803&fo_c=3681&fo_k=0b6e024f8b1027751e719cdc40e3722e&fo_s=gplauk

Thanks, not a bad idea

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...