Why become a member? ×

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Does anyone know of a steinberger shape shortscale headless?

I’m thinking of something properly tiny to take on holiday and that sort of thing.

Kramer Duke or Hondo Alien. 

• Like 3

On 06/08/2023 at 20:30, fretmeister said:

Does anyone know of a steinberger shape shortscale headless?

I’m thinking of something properly tiny to take on holiday and that sort of thing.

I've been round this block a couple of times (I was/am thinking about flying cheapo with one, so I wanted a bolt-on to break it down even smaller), and I've ended up with a Westone Quantum, which is a 32" scale (I'm not aware of any Short Scale headless cricket bats), and it's a pretty good bass - I gig with it a lot when the stage areas are small...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

So could the new Rapier Saffire bass be an alternative to the Squier Rascal?

It looks great I wonder how it sounds?

https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2023/08/new-gear-rapier-saffire-bass-2/

Reidy’s are knocking them out for £349. I would be interested but 43mm nut width! Everything about it looks good, apart from the nut width, which I imagine will suit a lot of people though. If it is reasonably made, with decent hardware, it looks like a bargain. Hard to tell from the pics I’ve seen whether it has a slab body.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 13:21, JohnDaBass said:

So could the new Rapier Saffire bass be an alternative to the Squier Rascal?

It looks great I wonder how it sounds?

https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2023/08/new-gear-rapier-saffire-bass-2/

The distance between the bridge and bottom strap button will position the fretboard close to where it is on a standard scale length.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 15:09, scrumpymike said:

The distance between the bridge and bottom strap button will position the fretboard close to where it is on a standard scale length.

Yes, just like the new Squier Paranormal Rascal Bass (and the old original Fender Rascal Bass for that matter).

Which I think might have been the exact point with suggesting the Rapier as being an alternative to the Rascal Bass (beside them both having a similar bridge + neck humbucker pickup configuration, and being in just about the same kind of price class as well).

Though the Rapier is 31" scale length, while the Rascal is standard 30" short scale.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, just like the new Squier Paranormal Rascal Bass (and the old original Fender Rascal Bass for that matter).

Which I think might have been the exact point by suggesting the Rapier as being an alternative to the Rascal Bass (beside them both having a similar bridge + neck humbucker pickup configuration, and being just about in the same kind of price class).

Though the Rapier is 31" scale length, while the Rascal is standard 30" short scale.

Well said! The term 'short scale' is not an absolute as there are a number of significant variations on the 'short scale' theme.

• Like 4

Late to the party! Happy JMJ Mustang owner here, photo here from recent jam night which I've had to snip closely as there was some political commentary behind me (surprisingly it's not "I Love Boris"), and the guy with the camera had trouble not getting someone's pointy headstock in the way of me.

image.png.7f917bf490fb79e9dac273b8f913c438.png

Also worth pointing out that the bassist in the house band plays a short scale Wilcock. He's often generous to ask if I fancy a go, but I'm worried I'll bosh it on something 😧 that's probably it behind me.

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 7

On 30/01/2023 at 19:41, scrumpymike said:

The Dunlop 5-string s-s flats set is listed at £114.99 on Strings Direct! I have no relevant experience but if I had a s-s 5er, I'd be tempted to buy a cheap 4-string set and try to source a single, heavy-gauge, high-tension E to use as the B.

The cheapest 4-string set of s-s flats that I know of is the Hofner 040-095 Contemporary series at £26.99, also from Strings Direct.

i was just looking at some of these after listening to a few Tim Lefvbre clips. How are they so expensive 😮

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 30/07/2023 at 08:38, ezbass said:

I was watching some of the Belladrum festival coverage yesterday. The sound was mainly thin and favouring the top end. Fatherson (guitar, bass &drum, 3 piece) came on and the bass player was using a P, nothing remarkable during the first song. For the second song, the bass player switched to a Player Mustang PJ and suddenly you could hear the bass. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make out which pickup/s were being used, but it sounded great, whereas the previous P was fairly inaudible. Certainly a win for the short scale in this instance, looked cool too.

I was rocking my JMJ on the Garden Stage on the Saturday as well at Belladrum there, same stage as Fatherson apparently. Sadly we never made the iPlayer coverage though, but were the backup for the telly if Kiefer Sutherland said no. Ha ha ha!

Probably unrelated, but there was an issue at sound check with my level as well that day, but I put it down to a first gig with my Cali76 and Bassrig 64.  But maybe there was something else going on, who knows.  Tech lads were pretty quick at sorting things though.

Edited by bogleshake
  • Like 3

On 15/08/2023 at 15:14, Dazed said:

i was just looking at some of these after listening to a few Tim Lefvbre clips. How are they so expensive 😮

They didn’t use to be. They are my favourite. They were never cheap, but over the last 2 years they have doubled.

I’m not spending that money on them.

• Sad 1

On 12/08/2023 at 12:42, Obrienp said:

Reidy’s are knocking them out for £349. I would be interested but 43mm nut width! Everything about it looks good, apart from the nut width, which I imagine will suit a lot of people though. If it is reasonably made, with decent hardware, it looks like a bargain. Hard to tell from the pics I’ve seen whether it has a slab body.

I'm potentially interested as well, though the nut width is a bit of a concern. Does anyone know how much it weighs? I'm slightly regretting my Rascal purchase mostly because of the weight, plus I think it's a bit ugly, whereas these Saffires are quite attractive. 

• Like 1

NEW BASS DAY

Just arrived, my Fender Mike Kerr bass in Tiggar Orange. (or is it Trump Orange 🤣)

Lovely bass with a JMJ neck , Jag body (better suited to my "portly frame" than a Mustang) enormous Humbuckers and fancy Barbie gold hardware.

Really pleased. 

image.thumb.png.ad1730a46c4691b75ddc545d858bffb0.png

• Like 18

3 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

NEW BASS DAY

Just arrived, my Fender Mike Kerr bass in Tiggar Orange. (or is it Trump Orange 🤣)

Lovely bass with a JMJ neck , Jag body (better suited to my "portly frame" than a Mustang) enormous Humbuckers and fancy Barbie gold hardware.

Really pleased. 

Very nice too! What's the strap balance like - any neck dive?

12 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

NEW BASS DAY

Really pleased. 

Congrats! Looks great.

Why do you call it a JMJ neck? The specs are entirely different.

13 hours ago, vates said:

Congrats! Looks great.

Why do you call it a JMJ neck? The specs are entirely different.

I am quite familiar with the JMJ Mustang neck having tried a number of them at different retailers and I was really impressed with the modern slim "C" shaped neck and how consistent the necks were having different production batches. Reinforcing the improvement in QC and consistency of the CNC and finishing. 

It appears to me that neck on the Mike Kerr has the same feel and specs. 

" 30ins scale,  38mm nut width,  modern slim C shape neck profile, 9.5ins radius fingerboard,  medium jumbo frets, and slab rosewood fretboard."

The main differences are fret markers and the truss rod adjustment on the JMJ is at the heel of the neck and the truss rod adjustment on the Mike Kerr is at the nut. Other than that the specs are the same IMHO.

@vates

Edited by JohnDaBass