Why become a member? ×

6 minutes ago, gemdids said:

This is super helpful, thanks for digging it out. Interesting to see how the American Performer stacked up against the Mexican PJ too, more expensive doesn’t necessarily = better. 

You're welcome :hi: The above are just my opinions as I remember them a few years down the line, but Fender have notoriously variable quality control, so what we experienced with the models we in our hands had may not apply to every model out there. @Adee may be able to add his own thoughts and recollections to that day way back when. But the one thing I do recall is that I was so impressed with Adees' JMJ that I bought my own a couple of weeks later! 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 11:21, dmc79 said:

How much does the MIJ Junior Jazz weigh? I wonder if they made a Junior Precision too. . . Edit: They don't.

There was in fact a Fender Precision Bass Junior in production at some point, if memory serves me right produced in Mexico, though that one featured a just 28.6" scale length, and it served as the main inspiration for the current production Squier Mini P Bass

The Fender P Junior (not in production anymore) I believe being the second mess produced bass ever to feature the 28.6" scale length, the original Höfner Shortie being the first (the current production Höfner Shortie features a standard 30" short scale bass scale length), and then after that the Fender P Junior, followed by the Ibanez Mikro Bass and LTD B4 Junior Bass (the LTD B4 Junior not in production anymore, also technically that one actually had a 28.5", rather than 28.6", scale length, for some reason), eventually then the Jackson Minion Bass, and finally the resurrection of the Fender P Junior through the Squier Mini P.

Personally I am a big fan of the Ibanez Mikro Bass.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

There was in fact a Fender Precision Bass Junior in production at some point, if memory serves me right produced in Mexico, though that one featured a just 28.6" scale length, and it is the main inspiration for the current production Squier Mini P Bass

Video of Joe Dart playing one.

If anyone is looking for a short scale Precision it is worth seriously considering a Harley Benton PB Shorty.  I bought one when they came out as a platform for modding in order to get a short scale P bass - and at the time I had change from £70.  I expected to have to swap the tuners and the pickup but, as it happened, I was completely happy with it straight out of the box.  OK I changed the pickguard 'cos I am not a fan of black with white pg.  Vintage Precision bass tone immediately, with flats think Santana's 'Europa', the fit and finish were spot on.  The corners of the nut were a little bit sharp but I don't spend much time feeling those :D   The tuners are OK - you'd have to spend a lot of cash to fit better.  It would be a great little short scale Precision bass if it were £300 or more.  For £70 it is nothing short of a miracle.  I've since swapped the pickup for a Tonerider (another budget bargain) because I wanted a bit more bite, but that is a choice thing.  Don't let the low price put you off.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

If anyone is looking for a short scale Precision it is worth seriously considering a Harley Benton PB Shorty.  I bought one when they came out as a platform for modding in order to get a short scale P bass - and at the time I had change from £70.  I expected to have to swap the tuners and the pickup but, as it happened, I was completely happy with it straight out of the box.  OK I changed the pickguard 'cos I am not a fan of black with white pg.  Vintage Precision bass tone immediately, with flats think Santana's 'Europa', the fit and finish were spot on.  The corners of the nut were a little bit sharp but I don't spend much time feeling those :D   The tuners are OK - you'd have to spend a lot of cash to fit better.  It would be a great little short scale Precision bass if it were £300 or more.  For £70 it is nothing short of a miracle.  I've since swapped the pickup for a Tonerider (another budget bargain) because I wanted a bit more bite, but that is a choice thing.  Don't let the low price put you off.

How heavy are they?

Just a heads up if anyone's interested - I was mulling over whether I should try some flats on my (ever so lovely) EBMM short scale Stingray just to see how it would sound, when I discovered that Ernie Ball will soon be launching short scale Cobalt flats, and Amazon currently have them on pre-order for about £33.  Looks to be a very decent price - at least when compared to what long scale Cobalts usually go for (and the inevitable short-scale premium that will no doubt get added on top).

There are two sets of gauges, 45-105 and 50-110, both about the same price. They sound great on this much-too-short demo: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Lionel got the pickup change I wanted to do.

Aguilar AG 4P-60. 1960s recreation.

The stock pickup was closer to a SD QP to my ears - too much bass and treble and not enough mids for a P. This solves that for me. Also installed a @KiOgon solderless loom to go with it to complete the vintage tone package.

Sounds more pleasing to my ears now. There was nothing at all wrong with the stock pickup, it was just not the sound I was looking for.

Aguilars are a bit spendy, but I've got one in another bass and I really like it, so I didn't want to end up buying something else and then still wanting the Aggy and end up spending more.

I have a rehearsal on Saturday to give it a proper run.

Aguilar in Lionel.jpg

• Like 8

34" scale feel like short scale!!!

I only play ss bases, 26.5"...30" 30.5" 

But I tried this and because of the small body and where it sits, it feels like a ss...but its 34"

https://www.torzalguitars.com/natural-twist

Its bonkers...but cured my GAS! for now...highest quality construction, design & body fit ...sounds fab

35 degree twist (25* neck & 10* body)

Picy1.jpg.865982aac3f30becf945c684047b1c30.jpg

After 10 min playing & not looking down ...you cant see the top of the neck...I feel ready to do a gig tomorrow...what could go wrong ...ha  

2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-1.jpg.39fa02d146737bc86844f7435df9dcfa.jpg2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-3.jpg.e0896c3aee2ee35aed820a67b9176f29.jpg2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-2.jpg.d72e11581c949546dc649c98fcba9c95.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BCH said:

34" scale feel like short scale!!!

I only play ss bases, 26.5"...30" 30.5" 

But I tried this and because of the small body and where it sits, it feels like a ss...but its 34"

https://www.torzalguitars.com/natural-twist

Its bonkers...but cured my GAS! for now...highest quality construction, design & body fit ...sounds fab

35 degree twist (25* neck & 10* body)

Picy1.jpg.865982aac3f30becf945c684047b1c30.jpg

After 10 min playing & not looking down ...you cant see the top of the neck...I feel ready to do a gig tomorrow...what could go wrong ...ha  

2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-1.jpg.39fa02d146737bc86844f7435df9dcfa.jpg2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-3.jpg.e0896c3aee2ee35aed820a67b9176f29.jpg2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-2.jpg.d72e11581c949546dc649c98fcba9c95.jpg

That is such a fascinating concept. Next time I'm at Bass Direct I'll have to try one out for curiosity.

They've been around for a few years so clearly they sell in sufficient numbers, and if that means people with hand injuries or conditions can keep playing, then that is fantastic.

There's not enough knowledge about alternative design instruments for players who have different abilities. I saw a thing on a flute maker who was making instruments for people with limited arm strength / movement. It was a challenge to get the right tone and range for a flute but using a far different shape.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 01:27, tayste_2000 said:

So I’ve somehow ended up with 5 short scales but they are great basses for travel. All of mine fit in guitar bags.

Getting this Friday

IMG_5023.jpeg

This is for sale 

This is no bad thing, I didn’t like a fodera I tried recently for the same neck finish.

Colour is 😍

• Like 1

So Bass Bros had a black Fender JMJ Mustang at 7lb15, it would have been incredibly rude to not snap it up, should receive it next week. Then I’ll have 3. The sensible part of me says move the heaviest (8lbs5) on but I just love these little basses so much that I’m sure I’ll keep them all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

So Bass Bros had a black Fender JMJ Mustang at 7lb15, it would have been incredibly rude to not snap it up, should receive it next week. Then I’ll have 3. The sensible part of me says move the heaviest (8lbs5) on but I just love these little basses so much that I’m sure I’ll keep them all.

Convert one to fretless.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ezbass said:

Convert one to fretless.

No use for that I’m afraid, wouldn’t know what to do with a fret less bass other than to put frets on it.

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Put ultralites on the heavy ones. 

Well I’ll probably just use 8.5 at home and keep the other 2 for band use as they’re lighter but that’s not a bad idea at all.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2023 at 17:28, fretmeister said:

That is such a fascinating concept. Next time I'm at Bass Direct I'll have to try one out for curiosity.

They've been around for a few years so clearly they sell in sufficient numbers, and if that means people with hand injuries or conditions can keep playing, then that is fantastic.

There's not enough knowledge about alternative design instruments for players who have different abilities. I saw a thing on a flute maker who was making instruments for people with limited arm strength / movement. It was a challenge to get the right tone and range for a flute but using a far different shape.

I gig the Torzal yesterday 2.5hr gig. 

The sound eng was happy with the powerful tone (no twisted notes..ha)

I sing so have to rely on knowing position...forgot it was different...any errors would have been made with any bass

As mentioned before going from 30" to this 34" scale..felt identical

End of gig no wrist ace...and surprisingly no splits in plucking fingers. Thingking about this afterwards...I think the way it makes you flatten your hand, makes you stroke or pluck softly

The only issue - the action was to low !

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I had a long rehearsal on Saturday so I thought I would experiment with the Lionel and the new pickup in it.

I did the first run through with Fender 9050L flats, and the second with DR Hi-beam rounds that were already cut and stretched.

I really like the flats but I have to say, in such a large ensemble, the rounds gave me more options and tonal variety just using the bass tone knob.

I'm going to stick with those for this band.

I've still got my other shortie with La Bella flats for proper thumpy stuff.