Why become a member? ×

4 hours ago, dieseldalziel said:

NBD...for my son's birthday...great in all respects other than it looks like it's had a little drop on the strap button..is it worth sending back?

16813166992413202750612951595819.jpg

PXL_20230412_162112223.jpg

PXL_20230412_162146016.MP.jpg

Mine had a small chip on the headstock and I was offered £20 off, which I thought was more than reasonable and saved all the hassle of returning it. Your one looks mainly cosmetic and that area will be hiding behind the strap most of the time.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

I am pondering getting one of these :

g45000030_1_520_520.jpg?20230412165344g45000030_2_520_520.jpg?20230412165344

A just 25.5" (that is standard Fender guitar scale) scale length bass from Glarry, with the model number GW101, with a narrower neck to fit the small size, that is a just 36mm (Edit!!!: I stated 34mm nut, it is actually 36mm, still more narrow than the standard narrow 38mm nut) nut width, and narrower at the bridge too than regular basses.

At the ridiculous low price of just 98.23 Euro or 98.99£.

And they get great reviews too.

Comes in transparent red or yellow finish as well:

g45000027_2_520_520.jpg?20230412172507g45000032_2_520_520.jpg?20230412172507

I think they look astonishing!

If I go through with this and get one it would then be for tuning it in C standard tuning, that it 4 half steps bellow regular guitar E standard tuning.

So planning on kind of using it like a baritone tenor guitar.

https://www.glarry.co.uk/glarry-gw101-36in-kid-s-electric-bass-guitar-p282.html

They are sold out at the moment, but it says a new batch should be ready by June.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am pondering getting one of these :

g45000030_1_520_520.jpg?20230412165344g45000030_2_520_520.jpg?20230412165344

An only 25.5" (that is standard Fender guitar scale) scale length bass from Glarry, with the model number GW101, with a narrower neck to fit the small size, that is a just 34mm nut width, and narrower at the bridge too than regular basses.

At the ridiculous low price f only 98.23 Euro or 98.99£.

And they get great reviews too.

Comes in transparent red or yellow finish as well:

g45000027_2_520_520.jpg?20230412172507g45000032_2_520_520.jpg?20230412172507

I think they look astonishing!

If I get one it would the be for tuning it in C standard tuning, that it 4 half steps bellow regular guitar E standard tuning.

So planning on kind of using it like a baritone tenor guitar.

https://www.glarry.co.uk/glarry-gw101-36in-kid-s-electric-bass-guitar-p282.html

They are sold out at the moment, but it says a new batch should be ready by June.

A baritone tenor would certainly be unique...🤔

11 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Yep, that's had a bash on the strap button alright. Provided you're otherwise 100% happy with the bass, I'd unscrew/remove the button first and if no damage to the wood. Then send this pic to Thomann saying you don't consider it's worth full RRP as received but you may keep it if they refund the difference between A and B stock value. In my experience, their after-sales support is excellent.

It looks like this with the pin removed..

PXL_20230413_071306218.jpg

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Rocket Queen said:

A baritone tenor would certainly be unique...🤔

Not really, uncommon sure, as are tenor guitars, and certainly more so too than regular tenor guitars, but far from unique.

For one Eastwood makes a couple of different models tenor baritone guitar instruments, theirs are 26" scale length though.

But tuned in C as well from stock, though in 5th, like a regular tenor guitar, rather than the standard 4th tuning.

Try looking up "tenor guitar", "tenor baritone guitar" and "tenor bass guitar" on Google.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, dieseldalziel said:

It looks like this with the pin removed..

If you are happy to make to sound again then you will hopefully get a decent refund, you will end up with a great bass for even less!

I'd fill the hole with wood and glue, then put a washer on big enough to cover the ding before the strap button using a longer screw

Edited by Adee

12 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Yep, that's had a bash on the strap button alright. Provided you're otherwise 100% happy with the bass, I'd unscrew/remove the button first and if no damage to the wood. Then send this pic to Thomann saying you don't consider it's worth full RRP as received but you may keep it if they refund the difference between A and B stock value. In my experience, their after-sales support is excellent.

This is the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently realised I only have 1 long scale bass left.

I have 2 shorties, two 4 string Mediums. and a 5 string medium.

I'm now wondering about selling the two 4 string mediums to fund another shorty. I don't have a Jazz type shorty yet!

This is becoming an addiction!

Does anyone know if SX / Jim Deacon did a shorty Jazz type? I have one of the P types and I really like it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Does anyone know if SX / Jim Deacon did a shorty Jazz type? I have one of the P types and I really like it.

If they don’t, there is a Maruszczyk shorty Elwood (a J type) in the for sale section, although obviously not a budget instrument.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ped said:

I need to lower the pickups on my Squier Mustang (CV). The screws on the pickguard don't appear to do anything. Do I need to remove the pickguard and investigate?

I had the same issue, unfortunately the plastic of the pickup back is quite soft so the screws can strip out, but main issue was the aperture in the pickguard is too tight for the covers so they don't move freely especially if you angle the pickups at all to follow the radius of the so the result is the spring pressure isn't sufficient to push the cover into the body when trying to lower them, though the pickups may have moved, but on mine after a couple of adjustments the threads were stripped. I removed the pickguard, dissembled it all, filed the apertures in the pickguard so the pickup covers could move freely and made little metal plates to fit behind the the pickups drilled and tapped to suit the 3mm height adjustment screws so now they move freely; I ummed and erred about changing the springs for surgical tubing but didn't in the end.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, ped said:

I need to lower the pickups on my Squier Mustang (CV). The screws on the pickguard don't appear to do anything. Do I need to remove the pickguard and investigate?

Sounds like the springs are knackered/missing, pickguard off for sure. 

EDIT: @Aidan63’s post is far more thorough.

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ped said:

I had to take the pickguard off and file out the pickup holes before i could get any moverment, although i mainly did that as it was microphonic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dieseldalziel £200...

State that it was for your Son's Birthday, you didn't buy B Stock? And a return is likely to miss the date.

£20 refund is not much more than the cost of post back, and only 10%

I'd send them the pics with and without the pin, stating the cracking can only get worse ('d use a drop of superglue after negotiating) and more protection needs to be applied to the end pin before shipping.

I'd ask for £50 and see how ya go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ped said:

Pickup Screws look like those on a Strat, where the pickup is threaded, and the springs sit between the underside of the scratch plate. Instead of under the pickup on a P.

Also Sponge is often needed on a P just to hold the bobbin in the cover, with springs to adjust height, height adjust just with foam may feel soft.

Edited by PaulThePlug

Thanks guys. Now sorted. The issue was that the hole for the pickup screw was stopping me from pushing the pickup down as it’s so tight and effectively threaded by the screw. Weirdly the bass side of the bass pickup has no spring at all but the others do. All seems quite solid now.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 17:48, bnt said:

Does anyone have any experience with the (Bill) Wyman Bass from Bass Centre? I didn't know about it before today. It's 30" scale, small body, £600 new.

I have one, though it's been defretted. I play it very rarely - picked it up on a whim because I thought I ought to have a short scale fretless and I've always liked BC instruments, but in practice I don't play fretless very often.

The body is tiny - feels a bit like a toy - but the sound is huge by comparison. Strung with flats, it is great for a vintage sound. The placing of the strap button is bizarre and would probably annoy me more if I was playing it for more than a song or two at a time, but as I'm not, I haven't bothered thinking about workarounds. 

46 minutes ago, whave said:

Sounds and looks fun, but how is the hardware quality? I see this is on the cheap side.

Anderton’s has them for £199-209, so pretty cheap, yeah. Scale is just under 23.5”. Something like this should include a headphone amp, I think, if it’s really a travel bass.