Why become a member? ×

Some that have bought them have said the factory setup was not very good , and the factory strings were terrible. However , once the nut was filed ,  the bridge adjusted , and fresh strings on … they were very happily impressed with the bass. Especially at that price point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msb said:

Some that have bought them have said the factory setup was not very good , and the factory strings were terrible. However , once the nut was filed ,  the bridge adjusted , and fresh strings on … they were very happily impressed with the bass. Especially at that price point.

And my interest is re-piqued! Seems damning if the nut needs filed though? take the strings were horribly high at the first fret?

10 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

A little disappointing, I was pretty excited about these. Maybe it'll come out better in the full review.

Hm it does sound thin and ‘out of phase’ in blended setting. I get the feeling it’ll sound better with flats too. Bridge pickup sounded nice - I’m starting to really like Tbird pickups!

15 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I thought the mudbucker sounded excellent!

Agreed, me too.

But the Artec / DiMarzio shoot-out on his Epi EBO comparison video was interesting. I thought the Artec had a huge, beefy, fat powerful output reminiscent to the late sixties Gibson EB3 - EBO vibe. For £30 seems worth a punt.

( and I'm a real DiMarzio Fanboi)

Edited by JohnDaBass
Update

On 30/01/2023 at 11:38, Smanth said:

Very pleased to report that I’ve managed to acquire an Ibanez GSRM25 … a five string 28.6 inch scale bass.

image.png.7014f4e6decb6ca7c4bfa115b363f7f3.png

‘Ibby’ arrived with some damage to the finish around the end strap pin, but Muziker refunded me £100 (apx 40%) in compensation. I’m very happy with her in all other respects (tho have some minor mods planned) and am delighted to be able to finally own one of these, I find the very short scale works great for me (preventing fretting hand cramping) and she is so light!

Came with roundwounds, which I’d like to change to flats … any suggestions from other owners (I know Newtone can probably help but not sure if they do flats)

S’manth x

If you can't find a flatwound B that works well at this scale length (and I am still very undecided on flatwound B strings with a 34" 5er - I tolerate my TI flat B string) then you could go flatwounds E -> G and a round wound B.  YMMV.

Hola folks. Very long time no post. Thought I would wait until I at least had some photos to share of my now upgraded Squier Bronco. Bought it a few years back. Sold it. Bought it back after a year, and had parts lying around originally for the upgrade. I got very lucky and found a used bridge with the right spacing. New bone nut, new tuners, new pickup and wiring and had the volume and tone knobs lying around as well.

I had to add in the expense of getting it all set up with a luthier.

It does play A LOT better, but still is very light feeling, like a toy. Maybe I cannot escape the fact it is using cheaper woods etc. It is perfect for home recording though and rehearsals.

image.thumb.png.018f79741301caa51ef723270686ea6c.png

image.thumb.png.c5d116d027fa402bd67d84119d84492e.png

image.thumb.png.5bb51f4ec093b6291ae0bb494f83c075.png

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Hola folks. Very long time no post. Thought I would wait until I at least had some photos to share of my now upgraded Squier Bronco. Bought it a few years back. Sold it. Bought it back after a year, and had parts lying around originally for the upgrade. I got very lucky and found a used bridge with the right spacing. New bone nut, new tuners, new pickup and wiring and had the volume and tone knobs lying around as well.

It does play A LOT better, but still is very light feeling, like a toy. Maybe I cannot escape the fact it is using cheaper woods etc. It is perfect for home recording though and rehearsals.

Enjoy the low weight!

No shoulder or back pain, and if there are any tonal differences there's nothing that can't be solved with some EQ.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Embrace and enjoy the lightweight :)  With advancing years lighter basses have become essential.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2023 at 10:06, barrycreed said:

Oh, please, would you stop apologizing!

If it sounds and plays great it sounds and plays great.

Don't listen with your eyes and wallet, use your ears!

Weight sure ain't where it is at either, and the fact that it is light weight doesn't make it a toy.

I am sick of people who seems unable not to mention short scale and toy in the same sentence!

Where does the messed up idea that if your hands and shoulders doesn't hurt after playing an instrument it must somehow be a lesser instrument come from?

An instrument being easier and less straining to play ought to be an advantage and make it a better instrument, not lesser, and certainly not a toy.

And several high end basses got basswood bodies, which is both a very light and a very cheap wood. 

The price of wood is all about availability not about it's quality as wood for instruments.

Edit!!: A testament to my grumpiness....  A bit too early just yet to call me a grumpy old man, but if it continues this way.... Yikes!  O.o

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
Unpleasant reminder of The Grumpy Side of The Force!
  • Like 4

On 13/02/2023 at 09:55, Badscrew said:

This is the final boss transformation of my Bronco before I lended it to a friend’s daughter 

10B72108-3145-426A-80BE-AF9B267CE1C0.jpeg

Now that is a very tasty upgrade, it looks fantastic and I'm sure it sounds great. I really like the individual string bridges and the subtle three position Pup switch neatly mounted between the V & T controls. Well done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Now that is a very tasty upgrade, it looks fantastic and I'm sure it sounds great. I really like the individual string bridges and the subtle three position Pup switch neatly mounted between the V & T controls. Well done. 

I’m very pleased with the result indeed, it looks much more upscale this way and plays great.

• Like 1