Why become a member? ×

Used my shortie in anger for the first time with my jazz band at rehearsal this morning.

Just took the bass, Ashdown RM800 and a BF One10. Mainly because I was too lazy to take my board and the big cab!

I was really pleased with it. Deep and smooth sound. Very Duck Dunn. La Bella DTF of course.

We did a couple of oldies, “Basin Street Blues” and “Song for San Miguel” with some great walking parts and the bass just came through perfectly.

This bass has really narrow string spacing at the bridge so it’s a bit tight for me and there was a few dodgy notes! 

user error though… when I restrung the bass I forgot to redo the intonation so it was a bit horrible further up the neck! It’s way out! I’ll sort that tomorrow.

7F8E5F41-CE33-4E41-8F4B-52CEE7762910.jpeg

• Like 5

The HiFlier arrived Friday , and I got to use it in a little instrumental project rehearsal. It was well set up but I’ll tweak it a bit in the days to come. Quite light , sounds good , the band loved it. Great shape for a fifty year old cheap Japanese bass. I quite like it! I’ll drag it out to the gig tomorrow night.

CC762A50-6F24-4A77-A358-D9E44370CB28.webp

• Like 8

1 hour ago, msb said:

The HiFlier arrived Friday , and I got to use it in a little instrumental project rehearsal. It was well set up but I’ll tweak it a bit in the days to come. Quite light , sounds good , the band loved it. Great shape for a fifty year old cheap Japanese bass. I quite like it! I’ll drag it out to the gig tomorrow night.

That is very cool 😎 

12 hours ago, msb said:

I like that. Bridge cover would have to go, but the rest is very cool.

17 hours ago, BetaFunk said:

Thanks it looks really good and especially with those mods.  I'll have to look out for one. 

they are a cheap bass, I’ve seen some on sale for under £100. I bought it as a sort of test to see if I liked shortscales before spending money on a better bass.

I’ve played it loads at home but yesterday was the first time I’ve played it with my band.

It was a bit neck heavy and dived a bit with the stock tuners and I had the hipshots in my parts drawer so that was an easy upgrade.

The stock pickup sounded fine but the pole pieces stuck out quite a lot and got in the way. The Aguilar is my favourite P pickup so I bought that to go in. The poles are flush with the top.

And I forgot to mention, when I got it one of the pots was a bit crap. Hardly any taper, more of an on/off. So there’s a new loom from the legend who is Kiogon of this parish.

It was such fun to play yesterday. Sounded fantastic and some of the stretches between notes were a lot easier!

I have to make sure I’m not making any rash / premature decisions but I am wondering if my long scale 4 strings will get any use now. I’ll give it 6 months or so and then see if I’m going to keep them. 5 strings are different. I’d like to try a shortie 5 just to see if a good low B would work with the right string and pickups, but there’s not many available that I can see.

This could get expensive. Sandberg will make any of their basses as a shortie and as a Superlight for a small extra fee!

• Like 3

I simply found short scale basses more comfortable , never had any issues with the 34 in scale. But now I do have a pile of classic basses that don’t see that much playing time now.

It took about a year or so playing 30 in basses before my preferences changed. Didn’t happen overnight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I have to make sure I’m not making any rash / premature decisions but I am wondering if my long scale 4 strings will get any use now. I’ll give it 6 months or so and then see if I’m going to keep them.

I’d give it a lot longer. I’ve added a few shorties recently, but I’ve still got long-scales which are ‘go to’ for certain things, and they’re not less comfortable, or harder to play. I do find that practicing difficult stuff on the shorties pays off when you transfer to long scale.

• Like 1

Just now, Bunion said:

I wondered where that went, a nice brace of SVT II pros aswell 💥🎉💥

Ha yeah I missed it last time and really wanted to check out the finish work. I kinda wish it was full 34" though. SVT2 is just class

I've had this Lion branded hollow body short scale bass for many years. It has a lovely woody full tone  which works well for the jazz gigs I do and a really fast narrow neck.  It's also very light indeed. I've never been able to find out much about it so wondered if anyone  else has one or knows anything about them?

IMG_7631.thumb.jpg.84abfbd6238898552846eaecdf8e9320.jpg

IMG_7633.thumb.jpg.32054409fae8bb53bdaa872659860416.jpg

IMG_7632.thumb.jpg.7610b35208cd56bdd3bf39f7bc5b141b.jpg

• Like 4