Why become a member? ×

Roger Waters........

Just now, wateroftyne said:

I would suggest ex-band members going out on tour to play the songs of Pink Floyd would qualify.

Maybe, I guess that is up to the website owner. Doesnt he have his own website?

I know from experience, after the 3rd or 4th time of repairing a bridge that someone else has burned the 'Oh come on lads, can't we all be friends' starts wearing very thin.

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe, I guess that is up to the website owner. Doesnt he have his own website?

I know from experience, after the 3rd or 4th time of repairing a bridge that someone else has burned the 'Oh come on lads, can't we all be friends' starts wearing very thin.

Of course RW has a site.  And yes, if DG doesn't want him on the PF channels, then it would seem to be his prerogative. 

7 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Me neither - can someone explain? And is David's wife really reading stories on the site?

Well, you did ask. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

And just because, here's Roger's version of Mother, which he feels should get a mention on the official PF channels. (For bonus points, PF's touring keys player is on it, too.)

Well, I suppose if you are a real PF fanboi you are pre-disposed to like it just because its Roger Waters. And I am sure it is better than the other video (which I didn't watch!)

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Well, I suppose if you are a real PF fanboi you are pre-disposed to like it just because its Roger Waters. And I am sure it is better than the other video (which I didn't watch!)

I like it because it's a great song, well performed.

Fortunately the italian restaurant video played without any sound!!

Frankly though, who cares? Forty years ago, yes forty years ago, Roger Waters tried to  break up a legal entity which he didn't have the right to, and the other co-owners of that legal entity successfully and correctly prevented him. Not the outcome he wanted, but tough.

I saw his tour last year and really enjoyed it. But I do think that if he had just released more music people actually want to listen to then his credibility would be much higher. Play the albums you like -Floyd, Waters and Gilmour- ignore the rest of the stuff.

3 minutes ago, Richard R said:

But I do think that if he had just released more music people actually want to listen to then his credibility would be much higher. Play the albums you like -Floyd, Waters and Gilmour- ignore the rest of the stuff.

His last album was very well received, sold well, and he's touring massive boundary-pushing shows around the world to hundreds of thousands of fans. I'm not sure he has credibility issues (apart from with the people he jabs his pointy stick at).

Edited by wateroftyne

16 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

You don't like a great song because it's a great song?

My head hurts...

I don't like it because it is a great song sang by someone who could sing it very well a few decades ago. But now can't.

Not knocking any of the musicians, who are excelent, as would be expected.

For the same reason I can't listen to rush live performances of the last decade or jethro tull performances, I understand that they are these peoples songs, who have the right to do whatever the hell they want with it, but from my point of view, their performance takes away from the work they have done, rather than adds to it.

I have heard several great covers of that song, that are many times better than that. I am sure there are covers on youtube that are many times better than that, but they are not Roger Waters. If you played that song and a cover to someone who didn't know the song or the people involved, and asked them to pick the best one, I would bet it wouldn't be that.

So yes, I don't like it, because it is a great song.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't like it because it is a great song sang by someone who could sing it very well a few decades ago. But now can't.

Not knocking any of the musicians, who are excelent, as would be expected.

For the same reason I can't listen to rush live performances of the last decade or jethro tull performances, I understand that they are these peoples songs, who have the right to do whatever the hell they want with it, but from my point of view, their performance takes away from the work they have done, rather than adds to it.

I have heard several great covers of that song, that are many times better than that. I am sure there are covers on youtube that are many times better than that, but they are not Roger Waters. If you played that song and a cover to someone who didn't know the song or the people involved, and asked them to pick the best one, I would bet it wouldn't be that.

So yes, I don't like it, because it is a great song.

I hear what you're saying about Rush, but I reckon Rog still sings it wonderfully.

And at least he didn't allow a slap solo in the middle of it 😄

• Like 1

For my money, Waters was the creative force and the edge that made Floyd. I completely lost interest once he'd left and found just about everything they did turgid and bland. On the other hand, Waters comes across as a control freak with some fairly unpleasant character traits. Rick Wright was treated as a hired hand for decades. It's a shame that it all fell apart but not in the least surprising given the egos and natures of some of the characters involved.

• Like 3

I hear what you're saying about Rush, but I reckon Rog still sings it wonderfully.

As long as it makes someone happy, I guess that is all that music is about, I might go and hunt on youtube to see if there are any good versions.

And at least he didn't allow a slap solo in the middle of it 😄

True, but maybe they could have started with that :D

I do like what he does, but he seems like such an entitled bellend... Lord knows how hard he must have been to work with.

I think the problem is that he thinks that he IS Pink Floyd, and I'm sure for some he is, but not for me, nor legally for that matter. Their output is consistent (after Barrett made his exit) and his departure made no difference IMO. I suspect he sees that, and hates it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickD said:

I do like what he does, but he seems like such an entitled bellend... Lord knows how hard he must have been to work with.

I think the problem is that he thinks that he IS Pink Floyd, and I'm sure for some he is, but not for me, nor legally for that matter. Their output is consistent (after Barrett made his exit) and his departure made no difference IMO. I suspect he sees that, and hates it.

Hmmm... I really can't equate either of the 3 post-Rog albums with anything before (not even The Final Cut). With a couple of exceptions, the songwriting just isn't there.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Hmmm... I really can't equate either of the 3 post-Rog albums with anything before (not even The Final Cut). With a couple of exceptions, the songwriting just isn't there.

I'm far from an expert in songwriting, but for example on Echoes, the double compilation, the pre and post sit seamlessly for me, with only the Barrett era stuff jarring a little.