Why become a member? ×

So I wanna play funk.

Bullet-Rule

[quote name='alexclaber' post='420148' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:28 PM']Mandate my ass.

I think if you really want to get funk then you need to listen to the lyrics. As you may have noticed I ain't so black but I am totally into the attitude and message that drove the funk revolution - "I don't want nobody to get me nothing", "They call it the White House but that's a temporary condition", "But since John Wayne was no longer available, they settled for Ronald Reagan".

Almost nothing annoys me more than cheesy whiteboy lameass funk covers bands. Where is the dirt, where is the grease, where is the message? This might sound like party music but it is protest music!

"You don't need the bullet when you got the ballot."

Alex

P.S. Dig your inner afro.[/quote]

In all seriousness Alex is spot on.

Its too often watered down by the later disco thing, and 80's pop use of slapping to excess by well turned out middle class white boys from the Isle of Wight (mentioning no names here).

Real funk is very much the urban protest music of its day. Disco was an anomaly and in some ways an appalling one at that. Funk morphed into hip hop; check out Beat Street by Grandmaster Flash, the b-line is Doug Wimbish I think, and as funky as hell, the whole track is an amazing lyrical protest poem - staggeringly beautiful rhyming about incredibly real and gritty subjects. At least as good as Rappers Delight and Its Like a Jungle. ANd they all owe the sound to funk in the biggest way you can imagine. I was into hip hop in '82 and considered very odd by everyone at school as a result (we were all middle class and white for what its worth, about 3 of us were into hip hop and early electro), think it went downhill as soon as it started being about gangstas and hoes personally rather than real people suffering real life...

Would happily play in a funk or hip hop live act any day if the week. Rather than any other style of music, it just moves me. But it would have to be old school either way....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='alexclaber' post='420148' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:28 PM']Almost nothing annoys me more than cheesy whiteboy lameass funk covers bands. Where is the dirt, where is the grease, where is the message? This might sound like party music but it is protest music![/quote]

[b]Aqua Boogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop)[/b]

Ha-ah, ha-ah, ha-ah!
I am Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk
I can't swim
I never could swim
I never will swim
Oh, put me down!
Let go my leg! (Ha-ah, ha-ah, ha-ah!)
I told ya...will you shut up!...I told ya I can't swim! Ha hOwww no!

Put me down, I hate water, ho

(Hah -ah hah -ah hah -ahhh)

Will you shut up!

(Aqua boogie baby) Never learned to swim,
(underwater boogie baby)
Can't catch the rhythm of the stroke
(Aqua boogie baby) Why should I hold my breath,
(underwater boogie baby)
Feelin' that I might choke (Ha-ah, ha-ah, ha-ah!)

(Aqua boogie baby)
Things ya blow through, because of things ya swim through
(Underwater boogie baby)
Why hold your nose to spite your face (Ha-ah, ha-ah, ha-ah!)
(Aqua boogie baby)
With the rhythm that makes you dance to what we have to live through
(Underwater boogie baby)
You can dance underwater and not get wet, OH!!!

Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloop
(Put me down, let go my leg OH!)
Psychoalphadiscobetabiohumanyouloop

I hate water, let me go, put me down! Hah-ho
You're all wet!

(I'm at the boogie baby) Never mean to drown
(I'm Underwater boogie baby) Can't comprehend all the strokes
(I'm at the boogie baby) Why should I hold my breath?
(Underwater boogie baby) (he's deep) Feelin' that I might choke! Oh!

(Aquaboogie baby) There's a magic rhythm one with the a real drum (?)
(Underwater boogie baby) Why blow your nose to spite your face
(Aquaboogie baby)
With the rhythm it takes to dance to what we have to live through
(Underwater boogie baby) You can dance underwater and not get wet.

Boogie with who? (Boogie-boogie with me!)

I am the Nose (Ha-ah, hah-ah, ha-ah)
I don't swim
I don't dance (Ha-ah, hah-ah, ha-ah)
I don't swim or dance (Biohumanyouloop)
I'm too cool to swim, or dance
I'm ------?------- (Underwater boogie baby, underwater boogie baba!)
(Ha-ah, ha-ah, ha-ah!)

(Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloop)
I don't even sweat (Psychoalphadiscobetabiohumanyouloop)
(Underwater boogie baby, underwater boogie baba!)
I'm cool

(Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloop, Psychoalpha......)
Go head wit 'cho funk!
(Underwater boogie baby)
Put me down
Turn me loose!

Ahh, let go my leg, I hate water! (ya-ha!)

Oh, leave me alone

You're crazy!
(Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloop)
Ohhh.....hah ... stop it!

Oh there you go again,
Oh it feels good, oh it feels good!
Oh it feels good
I am the Nose, leave me alone

Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloops
The motion picture's underwater, starring most of you-loops

(Uh!) Never learned to swim
(OH!) Can't comprehend all the strokes
(Underwater boogie baby! Yeaah Ho!)
Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloops (Underwater boogie baby!)
A motion picture underwater starring most of you-loops
(Yeah ho, ha ha get on down)
Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloops (I am the Nose!)
A motion picture underwater starring most of you loops
( ----?----- fool baby!)

(Hit me!)

Bioaquadooloop (Ah ho! Ha ha, get down!)

Ha-ah Ha-ah Ha-ah! (x6)

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='dlloyd' post='420184' date='Feb 26 2009, 04:24 PM'][b]Aqua Boogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop)[/b]

Ha-ah, ha-ah, ha-ah!
I am Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk
I can't swim

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

(Hit me!)

Bioaquadooloop (Ah ho! Ha ha, get down!)

Ha-ah Ha-ah Ha-ah! (x6)[/quote]

Probably the most misunderstood protest song of the 20th Century :wacko:

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='bundacious' post='420019' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:45 PM']I'd make a shout for Betty Davis, her first couple of albums are superb. Larry Graham on bass duties and theres a lot of solid, repeated, simple(ish) bass grooves going on there. A lot of the time with Sly/Graham Central Station I feel he's a bit uber but he cuts it back with Betty.

Also, its some of the filthiest music around. Delicious![/quote]

How random, I just came here to mention Betty! It came up in my Last.fm station recently and instantly bought @they Say I'm Different' and 'Betty Davis' because both are just bloody great!!

ped

[quote name='51m0n' post='419970' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:35 PM']Unless you want to get as technical as Rocco (Tower of Power) then space is your friend. Very few people really do pull off the TOP Rocco 16th note groove in a funky way - thats why hes so good. Stick to Bootsy style one-ness for months, whilst trying to get your fingers so fast they can play those sixteenth note grooves swung super hard and still sound relaxed.[/quote]

IMHO, being funky and being technical is not a [i]must [/i]at the same time..

And, are you telling me that Francis is techy guy? ;)
C'mon, just take a look at his school - his technique (compared to some 'modern' ones) is simply sh1te. But he still remains funky after all.

Ooooh you all beat me to it, I was going to do list part 2 today (in which as u can see there is definitely some Roy Ayers)

Roy Ayers: Party Sex (ultimate funky vibes), The Boogie Back (love this one too, and the b-line is as simple as it can possibly get)
Trouble Funk: Say What
Shotgun: Mutha Funk (old school heavy slappin on this one - lovely)
Rhythm Heritage: Theme from S.W.A.T
Pleasure: Glide (nuther slap classic - maybe too much?)
Ohio Players: Funky Worm (utterly bonkers!)
Headhunters: God Made Me Funky
Soul Searchers: Funk For The Folks
Vibrettes: Humpty Dump
Tower Of Power: Maybe It'll Rub Off (dont tell me he aint go no technique, it may not be pretty but he's lightening fast and super accurate)
Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band: Apache
Theme from Starsky and Hutch (zero street cred I imagine, but funky as hell)

Wow, that'll do.

Listen to everything everyone has put into the thread so far on repeat for six months, you'll be a totally different bassist.

Edited by 51m0n

FONK, well its love innit? My mates girlfriend said "Stick Wesley's Fourplay on and take me from behind"....now that was a groove - and no it wasn't me playing her..just a funky comment i heard from the player (of the my mates girlfriend that is).
But seriously the 90's Funkateers like James Taylor Quartet, Corduroy & Mothers Earth are worth a check out for modern uptakes, but yup funkadelic is a religion of some kind that i'm into... i think it was like Dennis Chambers said something like "I've been playing for years and i'm still learning it". Its a slippery slope though (maybe my mates girlfriend when Fourplay had finished)-i think i started Funk before i even touched an instrument...or a lady for that. I was sick at a party in the early hours just after i heard 'Bad Tune' by Earth Wind & Fire-that was funky with no mess!
Then before i knew it i was listening to Miles 'On the Corner' backwards with a bunch of aliens-the Mothership had landed in my pants around that time too-BOOYAKA!. I love funk, but i'm not a great player of it - i'm a simple groover and struggle on the slap groove technical stuff...but ya gotta love being stuck in any groove.
Has anyone ever been late for work being 'stuck in a groove' when you pick up your axe before leaving???....how do you explain that to the bossman? One nation under a groove, baba!

Heres me & the Circus funkin out last week! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHL51Ov8hQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHL51Ov8hQ[/url]

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='51m0n' post='420639' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:32 AM']Tower Of Power: Maybe It'll Rub Off (dont tell me he aint go no technique, it may not be pretty but he's lightening fast and super accurate)[/quote]

+1

Rocco's lines [i]sound[/i] simple...

It's amazing how difficult they sound when other people play them.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='420653' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:55 AM']+1

Rocco's lines [i]sound[/i] simple...

It's amazing how difficult they sound when other people play them.[/quote]

Absolutely, part of it is his bizarre left hand approach; uses only two fingers and damps/chokes with the rest, moves his hand around waaaay more than you're supposed to. According to an interview in BassPlayer (I think it was) in the 90's he could run his stuff up at 140bpm absolutely on it, no fluffs, still grooving ;) .

Anyone out there think he hasn't got technique please post a link to you playing Rub Off, On The Serious Side, Squib Cakes, Stroke or even What Is Hip at that speed as good as he does and I'll eat my hat if you still think it doesn't require serious chops :P . They may not be the modern version of super chops, but I think you'd be mistaken in thinking those chops equate to that kind of playing as well as his technique does.

He is the absolute master of the 16th note fingerstyle funk groove, Bar none. His entire approach to the instrument is based upon that style of playing for a 2 hour set night after night. That changes how you play.

Also has anyone seen how hard he plucks the strings?? He certainly likes to whack them compared to most modern fast players IMO, none of that ramp nonsense for Rocco, if he isn't "beatin' on that bass" he ain't feeling it I think....

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='420840' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:06 PM']I think TOP are maybe the best example of the drummer being more important than the bass player. Garibaldi is such a steam train groover.[/quote]

I'm going to disagree with your theory:
Crap bassist + great drummer = sh*te rhythm section + no groove = no funk.

[quote name='The Funk' post='420855' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:15 PM']I'm going to disagree with your theory:
Crap bassist + great drummer = sh*te rhythm section + no groove = no funk.[/quote]

+LOTS

Its definitely the pair of them, Garibaldi is superb though, but some of the stuff he does with the groove even he has stated he thinks he can only do because Rocco is absolutely solid.