Why become a member? ×

bassists that can do no wrong

Golchen

hmm any bass player who can show off , or showcase, but not ruin the song at the same time.

I havent really listened to alot of wooten, so i cant get an opinion on it, except i do sorta like his old stuff rather than his new stuff, seems to have gone in another direction, one which i am not particularly fond of.

and erm. definatly Jeff Berlin, great guy.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='418503' date='Feb 24 2009, 04:06 PM']The idea that a bassist can do no wrong implies that there is a 'right' way of playing. I think there is a continuum between boring and repetitive and highly creative and original and, determining where a player is on the continuum is irrelevant. It is where the listener is that matters and we are all in a different space.

Every mention of jazz here is shortly followed by references to random noodlng. But lots of the 'can do no wrong' players mentioned here bore me rigid. A great player playing tedious music (Marcus Miller) is no more use to me that a bad player playing great songs (Phil Lynott). One mans 'interesting' is another mans 'inaccesible', one man's 'in the pocket' is another man's tedious and repetitive. The mix required to make a player 'flawless' is individually defined so this debate is moribund.[/quote]

disagree. For me Bootsy can do no wrong, but I still know he's not gonna let rip with some 2 handed tapping and speed arpeggios al a Sheehan. And I love Sheehan.

I think Jamerson and Anthony Jackson are 'in the pocket' but if you disagree I would be interested in your opions as to why. It's what we do on here [i]the home of deep discussion[/i] and all that. So no, not moribund ;)

I love Anthony Jackson. He always struck me as a little arrogant and pompous in interviews, but he really does blow your mind seven ways from Sunday when you hear him play. I like him when he just sits on the groove as well, his choice of notes and clean technique are just a complete testament to his brilliance.

I think this discussion hinges heavily on what people look for in a bass player - a great technician, a great writer, a great performer, or all of the above. For instance, Anthony Jackson is an amazing technician and writer, but not much of a performer - he just sits there! Conversely, Lynott was a great performer and a really good writer, but not the greatest of technicians. But, if that's what floats your boat...

For me, Doug Wimbish and Tony Levin. They've got all three, in spades.

Doug Wimbish was at Music Live at the NEC a couple of years ago and I stood for ages in eager anticipation waiting for someone who sounded like he did on the Little Axe cd’s. Instead, all I got was a pretentious tw@t who played bass like a lead guitar prima donna, complete with more effects pedals than I’ve seen in my life. I left half way though, it was utter cr@p.

A complete contrast was seeing Norman Watt-Roy on the Blockheads anniversary tour. He was so tight and in the groove, it was hard not to get up and boogie. He prowled and strutted around the stage, just having fun without a hint of arrogance or pretention. A real bass players bass player, if you know what I mean.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='419641' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:29 PM'];)

You're the first person I've ever heard mention Andy Warren on a bass forum and it's great to hear him get a mention!! I used to know him many years ago from the early Ants days and he had such a great stage persona, it almost didn't matter what he played. Certainly got a clanking great sound out of his Rickenbacker.. :P

The first Monochrome Set (Strange Boutique) album was/is fantastic...[/quote]
Aye - loved early Adam and the Ants (Xerox, Whip in my Valise, Dirk Wears White Sox etc), and love Monochrome Set even more...
Here's their myspace page - check Eine Symphonie and He's Frank for those who don't know them!
[url="http://www.myspace.com/themonochromeset"]http://www.myspace.com/themonochromeset[/url]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' post='420132' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:08 PM']Aye - loved early Adam and the Ants (Xerox, Whip in my Valise, Dirk Wears White Sox etc), and love Monochrome Set even more...
Here's their myspace page - check Eine Symphonie and He's Frank for those who don't know them!
[url="http://www.myspace.com/themonochromeset"]http://www.myspace.com/themonochromeset[/url][/quote]

Ah, the Monochrome Set! Lester Square is a cool guitar player with a cool name. We dig the 'Set in our house.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' post='420132' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:08 PM']Aye - loved early Adam and the Ants (Xerox, Whip in my Valise, Dirk Wears White Sox etc), and love Monochrome Set even more...
[url="http://www.myspace.com/themonochromeset"]http://www.myspace.com/themonochromeset[/url][/quote]
Those were good days! I did a few gigs with TMS, before Andy joined them though... Thanks for the link!

• 2 months later...

A bit wary of resurrecting and old thread, but I feel the need to add my two pen'eth.

Firstly I have to give a +1 to all above who mentioned Watt-Roy, Wobble, Watts, Prestia, Barrett, Maby, Palladino, Thompson and Dorsey.

In addition I'd propose Skeet Curtis, Herbie Flowers and whoever played bass on Dixie Chicken by Little Feat.

The only reason Jamerson doesn't make the list of "Bass players who can do no wrong" is that I know for a fact he carried a gun, and he must, at some point, have been in the same room as Diana Ross.......

EDIT: How could I forget .... Rutger Gunnarsson

Edited by Hodge

That bass player bloke from Muse. Forget his name (does that count as sacrilege around here?) but love his bass lines.

Actually, the one advantage I've found in being unable to remember band and musician names is that I get to judge a song based upon it's own merits without any bias from who it's being performed by.

Having now read all the replies on this topic, I think that someone's perception of who makes the perfect "can do no wrong" bassplayer is down to many issues., ie, what you like or look for in a player, if he or she has displayed negative attitude in interviews, been happy to talk to fans after a gig or even been an absolute pompous twat when seen at a clinic. I think the reason James Jamerson is highly regarded as a CDNW player is partly down to the era he was playing and on which records although, in my opinion, he was a seriously cool bassist.

I don't consider this topic to be moribund either. Discussion is what this forum is all about and by definition, it is not on the point of death as is apparrent by the number of replies.

[quote name='Hodge' post='498303' date='May 26 2009, 09:11 PM']The only reason Jamerson doesn't make the list of "Bass players who can do no wrong" is that I know for a fact he carried a gun, and he must, at some point, have been in the same room as Diana Ross.......[/quote]

Jamerson carried a gun to protect his own interests as a musician, and at the same time... I'm sure in 1960's Detroit, you probably would have too. The Funk Brothers got held up at a bar once by a barman after being refused payment. Benny, James and a few others placed down their guns on the table to prove they were serious about getting paid... big deal, it's the U.S, it happens, especially back then! :)

Leland Sklar = amazing player! And for those that haven't heard Jimmy Johnson's playing with James Taylor of recent... he's a complete mater!