Why become a member? ×

bassists that can do no wrong

Golchen

[quote name='Mokl' post='417726' date='Feb 23 2009, 07:15 PM']I think it's quite surprising that there isn't more vitriol aimed at Marcus Miller, given that he plays jazz, and is most well known for his slap style.

Or maybe I just missed all the negative stuff on him?![/quote]
Well for me, Marcus is everything a lot of other slappers aren't. Soulful, heartfelt and knows what to do and when to do it.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='417728' date='Feb 23 2009, 07:16 PM']Well for me, Marcus is everything a lot of other slappers aren't. Soulful, heartfelt and knows what to do and when to do it.[/quote]

Dull is another word that springs to mind...IMO of course ;)

[quote name='ARGH' post='417865' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:13 PM']Here we go,another 'I like.../No you are wrong' thread...[/quote]

Marcus is a great player. Unfortunately I just happen not to like what he does. The problem with a thread like this, sterling effort though it is, is that ultimately someone will mention someone who hasn't been criticised and then someone else will jump in and immediately criticise them because they're not to his/her taste. I think there are very few players that everyone will like, if any. I'm sure there's someone out there who isn't that keen on Jamerson. You may have to go some to find them, but they're out there somewhere.

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='417630' date='Feb 23 2009, 05:42 PM']Stuart Zender[/quote]
I quite enjoy Zender's playing, but I hate his tone at times. His legion of fanboys (mostly posting on youtube videos it seems) also annoy me to no end - they treat him like some sort of deity, and make every effort to undermine the accomplished players who have replaced him in Jamiroquai. The phrase 'get over it' springs to mind.

Well, I'm going to say something downright blasphemous - Paul Turner is far and away my favourite Jamiroquai bassist for his impeccable groove and tasteful playing. Yes, Zender was great in that band, but you must admit the current incarnation are tight as hell, and no doubt plenty of that is to do with Paul.

Actually, can he do no wrong? I'd say so!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='418060' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:48 AM']It surprises me that more people aren't aware of Jimmy Johnson, very much to my liking I have always admired his consistency and note choice, always putting the music first so will play really simply, but has absolutely phenomenal facility.

So.....

Jimmy Johnson[/quote]

Superb choice....

FWIW I love Stu Z and his tone (particularly on ROTSC and TWM) is one of my favorite ever. Paul's a great player but I guess you could call me a Stu Z fanboy. ;)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Buzz' post='418068' date='Feb 24 2009, 01:53 AM']Gail Ann Dorsey?[/quote]

+1 another case of "less is more" Saw her with Bowie in 2004 at Glastonbury.
Alphonso Johnson gets my vote.....been everywhere , and dare I say it I always thought he fitted in with Weather Report better than Jaco as he didn't have an ego.

[quote name='Golchen' post='417167' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:23 AM']Ok, so I've been hanging around on this forum for quite a while now, and one thing that has always surprised me is that some very 'big' names in bass playing seem to get a fairly hefty bashing from some quarters. Two that spring immediately to mind are Victor Wooten and Mark King, and I seen to recall having read negativity on Pastorius and Flea as well. Without wishing to start a feeding frenzy for those that seem to enjoy slating bassists, I thought that it would be good to focus on bassists that everyone loves, those that can do no wrong.

So a couple of nominations from me - Two bassists that I have yet to read a bad word on (I could have missed them of course!) are Pino Palladino and John Entwhistle.

Anyone else agree (or not!) with that?

Any other nominations?[/quote]
I agree with you regarding Entwhistle & Palladino

Other nominations: James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Jerry Jemmot, Chuck Rainey, and Rocco Prestia .

Rhino.