Why become a member? ×

Headless Jazz Bass?

mathewsanchez

I've recently been having a fair biit of headless GAS (I know it's 80s but I like it), and i'm completely in love with my jazz bass at the moment which gave me a bit of an idea. I googled 'headless jazz bass' and didn't find anything, so I did this little mock up on paint.

Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of modifying my jazz in any way, but I am building a project jazz at the moment for which headless could be a possibility. Just thought i'd post this to see what you guys think.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='416112' date='Feb 21 2009, 01:18 PM']I've recently been having a fair biit of headless GAS (I know it's 80s but I like it), and i'm completely in love with my jazz bass at the moment which gave me a bit of an idea. I googled 'headless jazz bass' and didn't find anything, so I did this little mock up on paint.

Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of modifying my jazz in any way, but I am building a project jazz at the moment for which headless could be a possibility. Just thought i'd post this to see what you guys think.[/quote]

My honest opinion? - it looks plain wrong!

I quite like some headless designs, and have a hohner steinberger copy which is a great little bass. But headless = modern designs like Status, steinberger etc IMO. Sorry!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='4000' post='416123' date='Feb 21 2009, 01:30 PM']I think it's a great idea.[/quote]

I love it!! - I was thinking along the same lines as WotnWhy, but have to say your mock up looks fine! I'm guessing there will need to be a bit of a cut away behind the bridge to make room for the tuners (so you can get your hands in) but, done tastefully I think it will look really good. Nope, I've not seen a headless jazz yet either! Good idea !

[quote name='simon1964' post='416117' date='Feb 21 2009, 01:24 PM']My honest opinion? - it looks plain wrong!

I quite like some headless designs, and have a hohner steinberger copy which is a great little bass. But headless = modern designs like Status, steinberger etc IMO. Sorry![/quote]

Hmmm. I think it runs a little deeper. The reason Steinberger 'sticks' faded is exactly because they don't have a trad feeling body. You need a taxi to reach the first fret too. Even in this thread it talks of headless basses being '80's. My headless Status is an updated Jazz bass - nothing more. Why is it '80's?

The thought of a Jazz bass that wouldn't hit the wall or the harmonica player in many of the places I play is fantastic. Why do you need that head up there? Why? What advantage can it possibly give you?

Go for it , my son. I'd love to see your project.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='416112' date='Feb 21 2009, 01:18 PM']I've recently been having a fair biit of headless GAS (I know it's 80s but I like it), and i'm completely in love with my jazz bass at the moment which gave me a bit of an idea. I googled 'headless jazz bass' and didn't find anything, so I did this little mock up on paint.

Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of modifying my jazz in any way, but I am building a project jazz at the moment for which headless could be a possibility. Just thought i'd post this to see what you guys think.[/quote]

i like the idea of headless to make the bass shorter but to balance i feel the body needs some streamlining
being a jazz idea you have used fenders body shape...could the jazz be a jazz by any other name
there are some body shapes which may be better suited

good work on the paint software

cheers
geof

I like this idea, and your mock-up looks...pretty good in a weird way.

However, I have a personal theory that on a conventional bolt-on bass, that clunky, annoying headstock has some helpful sonic properties in that it increases the 'resonant mass'. This may have something to do with the reason why many headless designs were either graphite, or neck through, or both. All other things remaining equal, if you do away with it the bass could sound a bit lightweight and thin.

I'm not a luthier though, and am probably talking complete b*ll*cks...

PS Might look more appealing with a Sadowsky body - which is a bit slimmer than a normal Jazz.

Edited by Brother Jones

Cool project but I agree with the other posts, the body would need to be scaled down a little, it looks way too bottom heavy now.
There's 2 conflicting schools of thought on the headstock resonant mass thing, one say it improves tone (and you can buy those heavy brass clip thingys for guitars to put on the headstock) some say it's wasteful dissipation of energy fromt he strings where it would better be channelled into the neck and body to preserve tone.
I would not think most people could tell in a blind A/B comparison thru an amplifier unless you are the sort of audiophile who buys those £1600 power leads to clean and speed up the electricity coming out of his wall socket into his hi fi amplifier.

Edited by Al Heeley

I was once refused a S/H Jazz Bass purchase in Denmark Street after I let slip that I was planning to do the same! :P
But seriously, go for it.. I started off with an Ibanez Roadster which I suppose started life like this:
[attachment=20707:normal_Ibby_023.jpg]
only in mahogany stain.
By the time I got it, it was fretless (one piece ebony) and still 4 string. I now play in a ceilidh band with the guy who did the conversion ;)
It's now 5-string and headless - did it myself with a junior hacksaw in my hand and hope in my heart.
[attachment=20709:before_wb.jpg]
Now off the road for some long deserved tidying up and a reface. I'm planning a build diary on a budget!
Over the years it's had so many different holes made and pickups fitted, but it's done every electric bass gig with me. I'm glad I did it; the balance is perfect and it sounds and plays so well!
Ok, so the Fender Jazz is an icon, but why does that mean it can't be tweaked for the individual player?
Best of luck, HUGH

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='hubrad' post='416560' date='Feb 22 2009, 12:01 PM']I was once refused a S/H Jazz Bass purchase in Denmark Street after I let slip that I was planning to do the same! :P
But seriously, go for it.. I started off with an Ibanez Roadster which I suppose started life like this:
[attachment=20707:normal_Ibby_023.jpg]
only in mahogany stain.
By the time I got it, it was fretless (one piece ebony) and still 4 string. I now play in a ceilidh band with the guy who did the conversion ;)
It's now 5-string and headless - did it myself with a junior hacksaw in my hand and hope in my heart.
[attachment=20709:before_wb.jpg]
Now off the road for some long deserved tidying up and a reface. I'm planning a build diary on a budget!
Over the years it's had so many different holes made and pickups fitted, but it's done every electric bass gig with me. I'm glad I did it; the balance is perfect and it sounds and plays so well!
Ok, so the Fender Jazz is an icon, but why does that mean it can't be tweaked for the individual player?
Best of luck, HUGH[/quote]

I think I've seen you and your self modded Roadster. Did you have 2 and dragged them along to O D's in Wakefield about 5 years back - one covered in newspaper clippings??

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='416669' date='Feb 22 2009, 03:34 PM']I think I've seen you and your self modded Roadster. Did you have 2 and dragged them along to O D's in Wakefield about 5 years back - one covered in newspaper clippings??[/quote]
Hi Dr.D.. I thought I recognised your pic in another thread; as you say it's been a few years!
Hope all's well with you.. obviously we're both still doing the bass thing.
Much cheer HUGH

Mr. Shuker says a headless jazz is no problem and as soon as I get the money together I will be ordering a custom built one with a scaled down body .

Any thought on body woods - my initial thinking was that a dense heavy wood might be better to replace some of the mass lost through scaling down and the lack of a head.