Why become a member? ×

Using Alchohol to clean strings

markdavid

Isopropyl alcohol or meths is fine.

You could search the forums for the method, there was a string cleaning topic not long ago, but I'm dashing off to lectures and haven't got time myself.

Basically, it involves some cheap as chips PVC piping + end caps, some silicone to seal one end properly, and a hook.

It's much easier and simpler to just take all the strings off the bass, wrap them up in a circle like how they came out the packet, then put them in a pan of boiling water on the hob with a tiny drop of fairy liquid in for 5 minutes - this is what I do every couple of weeks and it works perfectly, the strings are like new.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='407398' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:46 AM']It's much easier and simpler to just take all the strings off the bass, wrap them up in a circle like how they came out the packet, then put them in a pan of boiling water on the hob with a tiny drop of fairy liquid in for 5 minutes - this is what I do every couple of weeks and it works perfectly, the strings are like new.[/quote]

Ooh, wouldn't have thought of doing that.

We should have a 'Top Tips' forum.

[quote name='Buzz' post='407394' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:41 AM']Isopropyl alcohol or meths is fine.

You could search the forums for the method, there was a string cleaning topic not long ago, but I'm dashing off to lectures and haven't got time myself.

Basically, it involves some cheap as chips PVC piping + end caps, some silicone to seal one end properly, and a hook.[/quote]

Rolling them up and cramming them in a big sandwich box is much easier, no special making. Seems happier than boiling, less thermal stress or something. I dangle my bass by the strings when I'm playing so any potential string weakening is a no-no.

Definitely meths over boiling, you cant get all the water out very quickly and that seems to weaken the inner core quicker (more string breakages as a result) it may well be to do with thermal stress more though.

meths does a good job, boiling appears to bring a bit more life back but for a very short period of time IME.

I have 2 sets of DR's for my 4 string and one set lives in meths to be swapped when the set on the bass goes too manky.

Works a treat (be sure to give them a day to dry out if you want to be certain theres none left to spoil that finish though.

[quote name='Buzz' post='407394' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:41 AM']Isopropyl alcohol or meths is fine.

Basically, it involves some cheap as chips PVC piping + end caps, some silicone to seal one end properly, and a hook.[/quote]

I used to do this [url="http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html"]string cleaning tubes[/url] method with isopropyl. Though I think it's probably just as effective to leave the strings coiled in an old casserole dish or something.

Edited by nick

[quote name='crez5150' post='408312' date='Feb 13 2009, 11:07 AM']Just buy new strings you pikey's ;)[/quote]

I used to think like this but believe it or not, boiled/cleaned strings actually sound a little different to brand new strings - they've got that punch but not overly bright with string noise. It's a unique method of attaining a consistent tone but it works!

[quote name='markdavid' post='407335' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:44 AM']Ive heard of people doing this to bring strings back to life , what type of Alchohol is used to do this (i take it its not methylated spirits) and how do you do this?[/quote]
Cheap bottle of surgical spirit from most chemists. Er, don't drink this stuff, possibly make any string sound good to you afterwards!
Boiling strings works too. Sometimes on a gig if they sound a wee bit dull, slacken off a string a few inches, give a few good pulls like trying to shake the grit outa them and retune. This can help brighten up enough for the gig, (that was on my nickel strings).

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='markdavid' post='407335' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:44 PM']Ive heard of people doing this to bring strings back to life , what type of Alchohol is used to do this (i take it its not methylated spirits) and how do you do this?[/quote]

Denatured Alcohol is what you use,....commonly known as Methylated Spirits, a mate does this and reckons its great. Soak them, and an old toothbrush, scouring pad or something similar, to give them a bit of a rub. I have seen the residue after he has done this on one occasion and you wouldn't believe the crap that a set of roundwounds accumulate.

• 4 weeks later...