Why become a member? ×

GOD ... I HATE COUNTRY

Linus27

Country music is, on the whole, very fine, IMO. Like the old stuff, like the new stuff, like country-rock, like alt-country.

15 years ago, I'd have killed myself for thinking that; but you grow up, and your tastes get broader rather than narrower. Same as I find something to enjoy in blues, metal, reggae, dance, classical ad inf.

Now, when it comes to hardcore British country music 'buffs', as they like to call themselves, that's a different story.

Detest anything after Slim Whitman, build shrines to Boxcar Willie and drive around in rusty old Yank Barges with Confederate flag stickers. Weasel-featured, long greasy hair, tattoos, scars, ratty little moustaches, prosthetic limbs.

And you should see their husbands.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='406665' date='Feb 11 2009, 05:18 PM']Country music is, on the whole, very fine, IMO. Like the old stuff, like the new stuff, like country-rock, like alt-country.
15 years ago, I'd have killed myself for thinking that; but you grow up, and your tastes get broader rather than narrower. Same as I find something to enjoy in blues, metal, reggae, dance, classical ad inf.[/quote]Ain't that the truth. If I could show my 15 year old self some of the stuff in my current CD collection, I'd die of shock. In 1980 I'd sooner have poked in my eardrums with a soldering iron than listen to Mozart or Motorhead or Miles Davis.

[quote]Now, when it comes to hardcore British country music 'buffs', as they like to call themselves, that's a different story.
Detest anything after Slim Whitman, build shrines to Boxcar Willie and drive around in rusty old Yank Barges with Confederate flag stickers. Weasel-featured, long greasy hair, tattoos, scars, ratty little moustaches, prosthetic limbs.

And you should see their husbands.[/quote]
coffee->screen

A few years ago now I got a job in a country band basically for the money.

At the first gig I saw two blokes dressed up in the uniform of the 7th cavalry practising quick drws and shoot outs, and i thought I was going to die laughing.

I also got thoroughly sick of being offered bangers and beans at every gig.

Truth is, its like everything else, theres good and bad, great songs and crap songs, good musicians and bad musicians. some of the songs are platyed to death, just like they are in covers band and rock bands.

Having also played a lot of 50s rock and roll you start to see the influences and cross polination between artists and styles,

I couldnt define new country? WTF Is that the eagles? or Eric Clapton unplugged.

Who cares, but you wont find Johhny Cash in my collection.

come on... how can you hate music that has such sublime lyrics as this:

FFwd to 0.45 seconds...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxNbEuOO20"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxNbEuOO20[/url]

[quote]Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror

'cos I get better looking each day
to know me is to love me

I must be a hell of a man.
O Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doing the best that I can.

I used to have a girlfriend
but I guess she just could'n't complete
with all of these lovestarved women
who keep clamouring at my feet.
Well I probably find me another
but I guess they're all in awe of me

who cares I never get lonesome
cause I treasure my own company.

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble

to know me is to love me

but I'm doing the best that I can.

I guess you can say I'm a loner

a cowboy outlaw tough and proud
Well
I could have lots of friends if I wanted
but then I wouldn't stand out from the drowd

some folks say that I'm "egotistical
well I don't even know what that means
I guess it has something to do with the
way that I fill out my skintight blue jeans.

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble

to know me is to love me

we are doing the best that we can.[/quote]

Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Gram Parsons, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Steve Earle, Supersuckers, David Allan Coe, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Cowboy Junkies.

I'll happily listen to any of the above country artists, but tossers like Garth Brooks, Kenny Rogers and Shania Twain really don't do it for me (the latter not in a musical sense anyway). I gotta admit though, as far as the cheesy mainstream crap goes, I have been found guilty of tapping my foot to the Dixie Chicks on more than one occassion.

What annoys me though, is how most people seem to throw them all into one boat. Kind of like saying 60's and 70's Rn'B is the same as the modern tripe, or that Bon Jovi play the same rock as Queens of the Stone Age. Country has gone through a kind of similar ordeal to punk, with all the pop bubblegum sh*te artists taking over the genre, only the rot started a lot earlier.

For some reason, Nashville country makes me very, very angry. I was in a bar in China Lake (don't worry if you've never heard of it, thousands live there and they haven't either) and there was this guy and his band on - they were charging the local mongs $200 for the privilege of having a table near the stage. Anyway, after about 10 minutes, I just wanted to inflict pain on someone - can't for the life of me understand why.

[quote name='Tinman' post='406754' date='Feb 11 2009, 06:09 PM']For some reason, Nashville country makes me very, very angry. I was in a bar in China Lake (don't worry if you've never heard of it, thousands live there and they haven't either) and there was this guy and his band on - they were charging the local mongs $200 for the privilege of having a table near the stage. Anyway, after about 10 minutes, I just wanted to inflict pain on someone - can't for the life of me understand why.[/quote]

Sincere apologies to all. My husband appears to have forgotten to take his medication again. ;)

[quote name='redzombie' post='406753' date='Feb 11 2009, 06:08 PM']Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Gram Parsons, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Steve Earle, Supersuckers, David Allan Coe, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Cowboy Junkies.

I'll happily listen to any of the above country artists, but tossers like Garth Brooks, Kenny Rogers and Shania Twain really don't do it for me (the latter not in a musical sense anyway). I gotta admit though, as far as the cheesy mainstream crap goes, I have been found guilty of tapping my foot to the Dixie Chicks on more than one occassion.

What annoys me though, is how most people seem to throw them all into one boat. Kind of like saying 60's and 70's Rn'B is the same as the modern tripe, or that Bon Jovi play the same rock as Queens of the Stone Age. Country has gone through a kind of similar ordeal to punk, with all the pop bubblegum sh*te artists taking over the genre, only the rot started a lot earlier.[/quote]

+1

People tend to classify music into 2 main lots - good (the stuff you like) and bad (the stuff you don't). Fortunately we all have different ideas of what is 'good or 'bad'. But what about the music we don't like - but appreciate it's form,compostion,skill etc?
Myself, I don't really get folk, metal/heavy rock, most jazz, jazz-rock, opera, avant garde etc etc. But I can (usually!) appreciate why others
think it is so wonderful even though it's not for me.

So before you slag the whole country thing off, check out some of the artists listed above. Mostly simple songs written from the heart, sung well and played impeccably. It may still not be for you,but then we can't all like everything can we?

Of course this has nothing to do with the fact I play in a country band - we're all in other bands doing various stuff,but every Thursday night we
just get together to have fun playing great country songs,usually to a full pub of people of all ages. The band is called 'The Fork Handles', and we play at The Railway in Cottingham near Hull every Thursday starting around 9p.m. Be good to see y'all.... (and yes you're right about the hats)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='406567' date='Feb 11 2009, 04:25 PM']Check out some of Alison Krauss and union station's stuff,then listen to Jerry Douglas on dobro and then tell me it sounds like a cat giving birth. ;)

Sorry but i love my Bluegrass :ph34r:[/quote]
+++++++++++++++10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Alison Krauss is one of the worlds gratest living songstresses and she is a mean fiddle player too. When she sings it's like a prayer, such purity such beauty. If you can't hear it I'm very sad for you.

A few things I have to mention : There are always songs that you'll like from each form of music.For example
I hate 90% rap/soul/disco but there are still songs I like from each. Same with country/western.

I had tkts to see Johnny Cash back in the late '80s.-It was cancelled due to ''ill health''.

He then recovers and only died a few years ago. In those days I was a typical headbanger :)

I also remember walking past my usual tkt agency(I used to go to lots of gigs in those days)
The board said ''Garth Brookes ,only a few remaining etc. Hackney empire''
I never heard of him and thought that Garth Crooks was doing something about football
and wondered what all the fuss was about ;)

I did see a live show on tv of his and it was ok.

Iused to love the stuff on radio one in the mornings: I minute you've got 'Black night'
by Deep Purple. The next it's 9 stone cowboy by Glenn Campbell

I bought 'let your love flow' and thought it was great. Then I went Metal.. :P

[quote name='redzombie' post='406753' date='Feb 11 2009, 06:08 PM']Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Gram Parsons, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Steve Earle, Supersuckers, David Allan Coe, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Cowboy Junkies.... [b]what annoys me though, is how most people seem to throw them all into one boat[/b].[/quote]

[quote name='casapete' post='406810' date='Feb 11 2009, 07:00 PM']+1[/quote]
+1 to everything above to which I could add Will Oldham, Carter Family, Calexico, George Jones and more. Country is no different to any other 'genre' of music - the good stuff is obscured by the commercial dreck on radio, cable etc. etc. So take it like a man, son... or we'll be round with pitchforks and torches before daybreak. ;)

Edited by Weird War