Why become a member? ×

GOD ... I HATE COUNTRY

Linus27

[quote name='jakesbass' post='406816' date='Feb 11 2009, 07:04 PM']+++++++++++++++10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Alison Krauss is one of the worlds gratest living songstresses and she is a mean fiddle player too. When she sings it's like a prayer, such purity such beauty. If you can't hear it I'm very sad for you.[/quote]

Yep,she gives me goosebumps every time i hear her voice.The duet with James Taylor on "Hows the world treating you" is simply immense.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='406959' date='Feb 11 2009, 08:58 PM']I suppose some Little Feat would be classed as country, and that's amazing. I challenge anyone who hates country not to like "Willin'".

It's one of my favourite tracks ever, and if you diss it, I will smash your goddam face in.[/quote]

+1 on that.

[quote name='Linus27' post='406473' date='Feb 11 2009, 03:39 PM']I hate it, with their whinging and moaning and complaining about every other tom dick and harry. Plus that stupid man at the back with his guitar on his lap sliding a can of beer up and down the strings sounding like a cat giving birth. Don't they see he's just a lazy arse that can't be bothered to stand up like a real guitarists. Oh, and whats with all the tassles, boots and cowboy hats?

Surely, nobody here likes country music here ;) :P :)[/quote]

Grow up!....Fast, you are older than me. Those f***ers invented it.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='406959' date='Feb 11 2009, 08:58 PM']I suppose some Little Feat would be classed as country, and that's amazing. I challenge anyone who hates country not to like "Willin'".

It's one of my favourite tracks ever, and if you diss it, I will smash your goddam face in.[/quote]

+1 on that

"Feats Don't Fail Me Now" is an awesome album with some sublime bass playing and not a bad song on it but it ain't "Country" as I would define it !
Billy Ray Cyrus anyone.... ;)

[quote name='Tinman' post='406754' date='Feb 11 2009, 06:09 PM']I was in a bar in China Lake (don't worry if you've never heard of it, thousands live there and they haven't either)[/quote]

I've not been there, but I know where China Lake is. It's in California, where the Naval Weapons Research facility is. Most of the B-29 Superfortresses still in existence came out of China Lake, where they were being used as targets, before they were rescued. It's warm in this anorak.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='407796' date='Feb 12 2009, 05:22 PM']I've not been there, but I know where China Lake is. It's in California, where the Naval Weapons Research facility is. Most of the B-29 Superfortresses still in existence came out of China Lake, where they were being used as targets, before they were rescued. It's warm in this anorak.[/quote]
Haha, yeah. ;) What I meant to say was 'Ridgecrest' Sheesh, I hate that place. It's so provincial it makes your teeth hurt.

I've played Country for as long as I remember, and I agree, there's some absolute tat out there (a lot of band wagon jumpers when CMT was huge). However, there are also some truly brilliant music/artists/players who made their names in this genre. I have to say, the bootslapping, chap wearing, spur toting, yeeharring crap that the media usually stereotype as being 'country and western' is really for the purist. For those who may need a bit of convincing that 'Country' has many sides must have a listen to some of the following

Dwight Yoakam
Brenda Lee (1 song inparticular, 'I'm taking my time')
The Players (5 of the finest players in the world)
Chet Atkins (has influenced more muso's than most)
Hal Ketchum (seen live in Newcastle - brilliant, brilliant)
Rodney Crowell (seen live in Newcastle - super brilliant)
Suzy Boggus (seen live in Newcastle - acoustic set and one of the very best performances I've ever seen)
Will Kimbrough (seen live in Newcastle - just him and his guitar, I bought all of his albums there and then - brilliant)
Willie Nelson (some of his stuff is dubious, but some of then ballads he has done are mindblowing)
The Crickets (Buddy Holly's backing band - the Album T-shirt is full of 3 chord bashers, but is simplistic genius)
George Strait
Steve Wariner (this guy is one of the most underated players out there)
Janie Fricke
Albert Lee (Seen live twice over the last few years and blew me away both times)
Lari White (has an amazing voice and performs some very good songs)
Elizabeth Cook
Brad Paisley
The Ranch (Keith Urbans band)
Vince Gill
Charlie Daniels Band
Collin Raye
The Hellecasters (John Jorgenson, Jerry Donahue & Will Ray - nuff said)
The Notorious Cherry bombs (some of the finest session boys having a bit of a jam)

It's a taste thing guys, but it's a bit unfair to to slate it if you can't think past line dancers and cowboys.

Oh and 'Plus that stupid man at the back with his guitar on his lap sliding a can of beer up and down the strings sounding like a cat giving birth'

Ever heard of Paul Franklin..............I need say no more!

Edited by Hoppo75

Most of those that are anti-country seem to hate the acts I'd class as country and western, which is commercial tat (except some of Dolly's stuff).

In addition to all the great country stuff listed above I'd add Michelle Shocked, especially the Texas Camp Fire Tapes (a girl and her guitar recorded on a walkman pro) and Wilco.

But the songs have such great titles:

Don't Cry On My Shoulders Cause You're Rustin' My Spurs
Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye
Her Teeth Was Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure
How Can A Whiskey That's 6 Years Old Whup A Man That's 33?
How Can You Believe Me When I Say I Love You When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life
I Can't Get Over You Till You Get Out From Underneath Him
I Changed Her Oil And She Changed My Life
I Don't Know Whether to Kill Myself or Go Bowling
I Hate Every Bone In Your Body Except Mine
I Knew I'd Hit Rock Bottom When I Woke Up On Top Of You
I Liked You Better Before I Knew You So Well
I Still MIss You Baby, But My Aim Is Gettin' Better
I Wanna Whip Your Cow
I Wish I Were In Dixie Tonight, But She's Out Of Town
I Would Have Wrote You A Letter, But I Couldn't Spell Yuck
I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me than a Frontal Lobotomy
If I Had Shot You When I Wanted To I'd Be Out Of Jail By Now
If She Puts Lipstick On My Dipstick I'd Probably Fall In Love
I'll Marry You Tomorrow But Let's Honeymoon Tonight
I'm Just A Bug On The Windshield of Life
Mama Get The Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)
She Got The Gold Mine And I Got The Shaft
You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too
You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly

So there's no love for more recent 'alt country' stuff (god, I hate genre names) like Ryan Adams and The Cardinals? The guy has put out about ten albums in 9 years, and not a bad one amongst them. The live show is killer too, everything is 'rocked up' a little bit more, and the musicianship is top class.

When you look at a lot of 'good' country-esque music, not the production line commercial nonsense, I think musically it has a lot in common with the early soul stuff - replace the pedal steel and banjo with a brass section and the bloke in the cowboy hat with Sam and Dave, and you've still got those tight choppy guitars, and minimalist but swinging rhythm sections. You're only footsteps away from Stax. It's (as somebody said before) simple honest songwriting, played brilliantly.

Admittedly, I've only come round to this view in the last couple of years, I used to dislike country purely on principle. I couldn't help but associate it with mad Texan evangelists and Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel. Maybe it's just old age setting in!

I know it’s a bit of fun and you really can’t generalise, its like saying all bass players are failed guitarists!

Personally I like quiet a bit of country music… in the same way I like quite a bit of jazz, and quite a bit of reggae

But I do know country music (including Blue Grass) has some of the most incredibly talented musicians.

I played in a house band many years ago at a country festival (my agent at the time used to send me for anything), and guys were riding around on horses shooting each other with shot guns, OK they were using blanks but the they were getting taken away on stretchers with really bad powder burns… and you could feel the heat from the guns 20 feet away… BTW this was all happening inside a building not outdoors!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='408724' date='Feb 13 2009, 03:54 PM']We did 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree' at a Christmas gig once... does that mean I've played some country?? NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

lol, no mate, but you're getting closer!!!

[quote name='Low Down Dave' post='408699' date='Feb 13 2009, 03:38 PM']Personally I like quiet a bit of country music… in the same way I like quite a bit of jazz, and quite a bit of reggae

But I do know country music (including Blue Grass) has some of the most incredibly talented musicians.[/quote]

Sam Bush, Bela Fleck, Bryan Sutton, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas etc etc all jam and improvise and stretch what 'country' or 'bluegrass' means. If you can play like that with only a mic pointing at your instrument (oo er..) then you are a man, my son...

Improvising their little rhinestones off...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afzl3A8o7vE"]Chris Thile and Mike Marshall: The Fishers hornpipe[/url]