Why become a member? ×

what are my rights?

stubarura

i hope this is the right section, apologies if its not

I just bought a new vintage 5 string bass today for £229, not much money i know but i was hoping to get more than a few hours play out of it before it bust! basically the pot that adjusts the balance for the pickups has broke, it just kinda got stuck while i was adjusting it and its knocking the volume off everytime i touch it sooooooo i was wondering what my rights are? i know on electrical stuff you get 28 days store guarantee, is it the same for guitars? i bought it from a small local store....

Wot WoT said ;)

All goods are *generally* covered by law in the UK stating that they should last at least 12 months of normal use in normal conditions, within that 12 months if it breaks, stuff is generally refundable.

There are different lengths pertaining to specific item groups, electronics must last 12 months of use while doing the task it was designed to do, and I think musical instruments fit under a very similar part of the consumer acts.

So, go back asap and tell them its broken.

And the 28 Days by the store will be for refunds on non-faulty goods, aka, the return period, different to your consumer rights.

[quote name='stubarura' post='403140' date='Feb 8 2009, 12:53 AM']ha! im trying to avoid going all ninja with the guy cos you know what its like when u r p!ss3d off and you start loosing an argument cos youve not done your research, big overhand rights aplenty ;) anyway cheers for the replies lads[/quote]

Yeah, don't go Ninja. Just put on the puppy dog eyes and they'll fix it. Save the Ninja for later.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='403155' date='Feb 8 2009, 01:38 AM']Sounds like it's just a bad solder joint, at worst a bad pot. I'm sure the dealer will be happy to sort it out for you.[/quote]

That's probably true. Get them to repair it and demand that they don't charge you. I remember i got a guitar fixed at my local guitar shop, it wasn't even my consumer rights or anything but it was such a quick electronics job they fixed it for free.

I dont see the problem here.

How long ago did you buy it? Was it brand new or second hand?

Just pack it up, take it back and tell them whats not working.
Any decent shop will just take it off you, check it and sort it.

There should be no problems, issues or arguments at all.

Be nice and polite should be end of story ;)

just an update, i took the bass back to the shop today and the fella was spot on... offered me a repair or my money back, since i had lost faith in the bass i decided to take the money, but then i saw a G&L Tribute sb-2 hanging at the other side of the store... was £449 reduced to £349, then cos i had the inconveinience of having to bring the other bass back to the shop the guy knocked another £20 off.... im very happy with it, and i gotta reccomend it to anyone wanting a fender p style bass...... its just awesome, it has the best neck ive ever played and the finish is second to none, it really is breathtaking, on the strength of this bass from what ive seen of it so far i can deffo say im finished with fender basses, its leagues ahead in quality and sound to any fender i have ever owned, and ive had a few of all types....