Why become a member? ×

Band image

saibuster

Hello guys, didnt write here for a while and its good to be back!

My band went to Vodafone's unsigned bands competition today and we passed the first level.
The second audition is going to be for the area's finals (before the national final event).

We received some papers with information on what we need to prepare for the second event and apart from
the music, it seems like the put a lot of emphasis on performance and [b][i]image[/i][/b].

Now here is the thing, we are playing hard rock, or melodic metal, what ever you want to call it, none of us is into
indie or any of the more mainstream rock that is happening at the moment. This also means, we are not going to
wear the current rocks uniform (black skinny jeans, insanely tight worn out t-shirt, big glam curly hair).

This puts us in a problematic area, how can we deliver a contemporary image that fits our music without looking dated or skinny?

If it was up to us, we would all wear a plain t-shirt and straight jeans, but its obvious that this would reduce our chance to win.
I would love to hear the trusty forum members thoughts about it, also, are there any "style" or "image" agencies that could
help us? we take this band very seriously and would invest money in image if needed.

cheers!

Interesting one.

You could certainly employ an image consultant - Google - but I doubt it'll be cheap.

Some bands have a kind of "theme" to their image as opposed to simply wearing the genre uniform. Allows them to be a bit more flexible. Might be worth considering; but you need to think carefully and come up with something good for it not to appear lame.

Battered, ripped, muddy old suits? Like you'd just been dug up? Lol. I dunno.

[quote name='saibuster' post='403088' date='Feb 7 2009, 10:21 PM']I like the idea of a suit any time but the guys said its been done before. But maybe a zombie suite is actually a good idea![/quote]
Think through anything you're interested in; any books you liked; any paintings or movies etc. etc.

I once saw a ska punk band play in suits and mexican wrestling masks. The music was good (not great) but people really got into seeing those guys jump around in those crazy outfits.

Edited by Eight

whatever you wear must be a reflection, if exaggerated, of yourselves.
the whole eighties thing became a parody of itself, but the strange thing is that i look at bands like my chemical romance among others and see 'rock fashions' of the past re- appearing time and again.

the other option is to take inspiration from elsewhere, and add your personalities into the mix.
if you take a band like kiss, they started looking like bad Alice Cooper imitators, but when they added their own personalities into the melting pot, four distinct characters emerged. Separate yet bound together with the same idea.

Personally, I'd go for all black clothes, work boots and bullet belts. But I'm a silly old f***, so don't listen to me. Basically, this is a function of 'marketing' So look at your market.

1) Check out up and coming bands in the same genre - what are they wearing? What does your (target) audience wear? Now spin a variation on it. Maybe bigger, more flamboyant.

or:

2) Go so completely outside the box that you're perceived to be outside any genre and [i]appear [/i]to be 'letting the music speak for itself'. But don't end up looking like a clown troupe (google Split Enz)

3) It's not just about clothes. If circs permit, could you work in some choreographed moves - and I don't mean synchronised dancing - maybe like a staged 'fight', some speaker climbing, singer using a megaphone, drummer trampolining right over the kit ;) Maybe some props.

4) Image is a component of the show. Try to tie it all together. And a big opening and a big ending. People remember the first 30 secs and the last 30 secs. Use that time to make your statement and nail it home. All part of image, all part of the show.

5) Approach hats with extreme caution.

Anyhow, it may [i]say[/i] they're emphasising image. I'd be looking some clarification on that...what's going to win you the comp is strong presentation of strong songs with strong hooks. After that, review.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='saibuster' post='403061' date='Feb 7 2009, 09:31 PM']Hello guys, didnt write here for a while and its good to be back!

My band went to Vodafone's unsigned bands competition today and we passed the first level.
The second audition is going to be for the area's finals (before the national final event).

We received some papers with information on what we need to prepare for the second event and apart from
the music, it seems like the put a lot of emphasis on performance and [b][i]image[/i][/b].

Now here is the thing, we are playing hard rock, or melodic metal, what ever you want to call it, none of us is into
indie or any of the more mainstream rock that is happening at the moment. This also means, we are not going to
wear the current rocks uniform (black skinny jeans, insanely tight worn out t-shirt, big glam curly hair).

This puts us in a problematic area, how can we deliver a contemporary image that fits our music without looking dated or skinny?

If it was up to us, we would all wear a plain t-shirt and straight jeans, but its obvious that this would reduce our chance to win.
I would love to hear the trusty forum members thoughts about it, also, are there any "style" or "image" agencies that could
help us? we take this band very seriously and would invest money in image if needed.

cheers![/quote]
vodafone hey.....i think you should all splash out on some orange amps and maybe wear a devo style boiler suits but in orange.

Hey guys thanks for your replies! Going to use these points on our next band meeting and do a little brain storming.

Did any band ever used prison uniform? (you know black and white strips, boots... )

I could even have one of these big old round weights around my leg, good excuse not having to jump around!

[quote name='saibuster' post='403267' date='Feb 8 2009, 11:08 AM']Hey guys thanks for your replies! Going to use these points on our next band meeting and do a little brain storming.

Did any band ever used prison uniform? (you know black and white strips, boots... )

I could even have one of these big old round weights around my leg, good excuse not having to jump around![/quote]

That's been done. I remember Henry Rollins doin' it on the Jools Holland show few years back