Why become a member? ×

How do you think about Fender?

big cat

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='403447' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:30 PM']I wouldn't even agree with that, it's not a fair analogy (although I do see your point). Fender would more accurately be described at the Ford company itself, rather than one of it's base models... a company that gave the world the most usable means of transport to the masses and a company that gave the world the most usable electric guitars at the time. That to me would seem fairer.[/quote]

We invented Tennis but now we can't win it! As said, i think the fender bass is great, but for me, not big enough sound pallet. They are not cheap. A u.s bass new is nearly a grand, so not really far off custom prices. They in this day and age just don't cut it as an allround bass, and the slap sound on a p (unless its preamped) is in my opinian dead compared to other basses in the same proce bracket. Id get a good squire jazz, and modify it, or better still a sandberg/lakland p or jazz bass. I played a lakland D.Dunn and in all fairness, the P. bass was not a patch on this, but at the end of the day, it was'nt a Fender. I have noticed though that some stock fenders sound and play very different in the same model range. in the same shop i picked up 3 p basses and they were all so different.

[quote name='chris_b' post='404341' date='Feb 9 2009, 02:38 PM']Leo Fender's main aims were simplicity, ease of maintenance, and, of course, to make the number 1 selling guitars and basses. No matter how his company has been run since they can't seem to undo that legacy. That makes Leo Fender a pretty amazing bloke![/quote]

does that include musicmen and G+L
;)

The thing with Fender is that it’s one of the few brands that non-musicians have heard of. My old man was terribly impressed when he saw I had a Fender P, totally ignored the Alembic Mark King sat next to it, it meant nothing to him.

My experience with Fender has been one of maddening inconsistency. Far too many basses still leave their USA factory with oversized neck pockets, poor fret jobs & badly cut nuts. A quick trip to my local emporium today summed it up, 5 USA models of which 2 had neck pocket gaps big enough to get a 1mm plectrum in either side. That, for me, is a sub-standard production rate of 40%.

When you get a good Fender you get a solid bass that does what needs doing with no fuss - it’s just finding a good one that is tricky. I wouldn’t buy another without seeing it & playing it first. Fender may be paying closer attention to things like wood weight & contouring but their QC seems hardly any better than in the 70s. I’ve returned 3 custom shop models in the past, 1 with flaking paint & 2 with oversized truss rod channels that allowed the rod to rattle when you plucked.

Compare that to Lakland, G&L & Musicman. All three seem to produce consistently good products, I’ve yet to find a dud from any of them. I’m sure they exist but they are very much an exception. In that respect Fender are trailing the field and it’s only the reputation they forged 50 years ago, when competition was scarce, that keeps them where they are.

I think Fender stopped making guitars years ago & concentrated on making money instead.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='404431' date='Feb 9 2009, 04:12 PM']....does that include musicmen and G+L....[/quote]
Leo Fender does seem to have instigated another legend with the Musicman company. I think the years caught up with him in his G&L phase. He seems to have run out of things to pioneer and, good as G&L basses are, he was only able to "reinvent the wheel".

[quote name='artisan' post='402647' date='Feb 7 2009, 10:12 AM']i do wish people would stop harping on about Fenders build quality,there's absolutley nothing wrong with the quality of modern MIA Fenders,they are built as good as any other mass produced instrument of the same price range,escepially the american deluxe range,the MIJ/CIJ stuff is very good & consistant too.
when i bought my deluxe P bass i tried several Sandbergs & EBMMs back to back with it & i much prefered the P bass & it is as well built as any of them.
my Jazz is the best Jazz i've ever played -period.
my 62 reissue P is bloody gorgeous.
shure some of the MIM stuff is sh*te but some of it is bloody good.the odd MIA dog may slip through the QC net,do other brands not have the same problem ?
I know Fender went through some very hit or miss periods in the past,as the very worst Fender i've ever played as a 1974 Jazz bass,but the new stuff is excellent.
ok i've had my rant,
signed
Fender fanboy. ;)[/quote]

+1

My last purchase was a New American Standard, from Soundslive so I didn't even try it. Its the dogs dangly's. I also have a 62 RI P which is beautiful to play and i will never sell it (I once said I would never own a P bass). I have a Lakland DJ4 which is also gorgeous but its different to the Fenders, slightly more modern sounding.

Of all the studio work I have ever done I have only ever been 100% happy with the sound once, it was a Jap Fender Jazz. I sold that and I really wish I hadn't.

I just sold a Kingbass because I grew tired of the clinical sound and found it lacked warmth when used with my original band. Its just a matter of taste, I'm sure there's a Fender out there for everyone. :P

[quote name='basswesty' post='405355' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:07 PM']+1

My last purchase was a New American Standard, from Soundslive so I didn't even try it. Its the dogs dangly's. I also have a 62 RI P which is beautiful to play and i will never sell it (I once said I would never own a P bass). I have a Lakland DJ4 which is also gorgeous but its different to the Fenders, slightly more modern sounding.

Of all the studio work I have ever done I have only ever been 100% happy with the sound once, it was a Jap Fender Jazz. I sold that and I really wish I hadn't.

I just sold a Kingbass because I grew tired of the clinical sound and found it lacked warmth when used with my original band. Its just a matter of taste, I'm sure there's a Fender out there for everyone. :P[/quote]

well said that man. ;)
i must say the 2008 on Fenders are particually good,i've yet to play one i don't like,enjoy your new bass.

[quote name='basswesty' post='405355' date='Feb 10 2009, 02:07 PM']+1

I just sold a Kingbass because I grew tired of the clinical sound and found it lacked warmth when used with my original band. Its just a matter of taste, I'm sure there's a Fender out there for everyone. ;)[/quote]

I bought a Fender 08 P. bass off 'Out to play jazz ' off here (pictured) Build quality on this was A1, sound quality of finger style was A1, looks was A1. slap tone F. But for a passive 1 P/U bass it rocked. The neck was exellent as well, and came with a solid skb well made hard case.

like most things you love, if you love your fender, as i do, you cant really put a reason to it. sure, both me jazz and me precision, look, sound, feel and play how i think a bass should. but theres more to it than that, and anything that has heritage or nostalgia is always hugely attractive. if you play a fender, your walking in the footsteps of so many bands and players before you.

[quote name='chris_b' post='404459' date='Feb 9 2009, 04:27 PM']Leo Fender does seem to have instigated another legend with the Musicman company. I think the years caught up with him in his G&L phase. He seems to have run out of things to pioneer and, good as G&L basses are, he was only able to "reinvent the wheel".[/quote]
i agree...when he finally brought those two jazz pups together in one housing with single large poles i think he hit the jackpot
cheers
;)

I respect the judgment of the countless professional players, many of whom are more accomplished than myself and who swear by Fender basses.

But I'm sorry; I just don't get it. I don't accept that a bass from the 1950's made from fairly ordinary materials without the resource of any of the technological breakthroughs made since can be as good as its devotees claim it is, here in 2009.

Then there's the prices for the USA models. I just couldn't live with paying all that money, to own something that at least visually, is little different to the £99 copies you see in music shop windows.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='405729' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:50 PM']I respect the judgment of the countless professional players, many of whom are more accomplished than myself and who swear by Fender basses.

But I'm sorry; I just don't get it. I don't accept that a bass from the 1950's made from fairly ordinary materials without the resource of any of the technological breakthroughs made since can be as good as its devotees claim it is, here in 2009.

Then there's the prices for the USA models. I just couldn't live with paying all that money, to own something that at least visually, is little different to the £99 copies you see in music shop windows.[/quote]

I can see your point to a degree, and to some point, agree that the US prices are a little steep. However, you really can't compare a £99 pound bass to a 2009 US Vintage Fender bass. Cheap Chinese cars look like copies of a lot of European cars/Japanese cars but I know what I would have.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='405729' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:50 PM']....But I'm sorry; I just don't get it. I don't accept that a bass from the 1950's made from fairly ordinary materials without the resource of any of the technological breakthroughs made since can be as good as its devotees claim it is, here in 2009....[/quote]
They can!! That's why your ears are the only thing that should influence your choice of gear. Laws of science, logic and the rule book should all come second to your ears.

[quote name='chris_b' post='405931' date='Feb 11 2009, 03:28 AM']They can!! That's why your ears are the only thing that should influence your choice of gear. Laws of science, logic and the rule book should all come second to your ears.[/quote]

+1 this is soooooo true & a good Fender strung with a set of flats is true music to my old lug 'oles ;)

This is what i think...
I have a P bass, A Marcus Miller Jazz and a MM Stingray. I have them for a variety of reasons, but I would liken them to car ownership.

I rather think of the P bass as being similar to a series 1 E-Type Jaguar. The first of its kind for looks, performance and money. An icon of its time and much copied since. A fantastic driving experience but vintage by todays standards of driving. Loads of cars today are faster, safer, cheaper to run, more reliable etc. but that could never make it better than a series 1 E-Type.

The Jazz bass is to me is like a Series 2 E-Type, designed for a different (but similar) market, stunning in its own way, iconic etc. etc. A development of the series 1 but no better or worse (in my opinion).

The Stingray is like a Jaguar XK8. Utilising the history and styling cues of the E-Type but with modern features to cope in todays world. A real improvement in terms of performance and quality but will never be classed as 'better' than an E-Type, even though its specification is clearly superior.

Basically, if I felt like driving an E-Type (and if I could afford it) I would be driving it not for its reliability, build quality etc. but because I personally want the experience of it. Likewise, if I wanted the feeling of driving Jaguar heritage but in todays world with performance, comfort and reliability I would drive an XK8.

Its horses for courses in my opinion with none being able to out perform each other. There are many pretenders to the throne, such as BMW, Lotus etc. (Warwick, Overwater) but I know which car and bass I would prefer to use every day.

Thats why I gig with my Stingray and drive my XK8 convertible to work...

Well... I deffinitly think they are overrated... Not only do they charge to much for what they are... They are verry limited to what they can imo...

I mean, they are great jazz/blues basses... No doubt! But that's all.... Imo you can't play metal with Fender's, and some hard rock isn't great either -.- That's personal opinion but still...
While Washburn and Warwick... They make basses that are great for metal, rock and still able to play jazz/blues ! ;)

Fender's like Gibson... Fanboy madness... Great stuff... But way overpriced

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='407043' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:20 PM']Well... I deffinitly think they are overrated... Not only do they charge to much for what they are... They are verry limited to what they can imo...

I mean, they are great jazz/blues basses... No doubt! But that's all.... Imo you can't play metal with Fender's, and some hard rock isn't great either -.- That's personal opinion but still...
While Washburn and Warwick... They make basses that are great for metal, rock and still able to play jazz/blues ! ;)[/quote]

Yeah, you're right. You can't play rock on a Fender.

Laugh my c***ing arse off!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='405513' date='Feb 10 2009, 05:00 PM']All my favourite bassists played Fenders yet I've never owned one...[/quote]
Likewise - I had a Fender J, but never a Fender P and [b]all[/b] of my heroes play them. Curious.

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='407043' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:20 PM']...Imo you can't play metal with Fender's, and some hard rock isn't great either -.- That's personal opinion but still...[/quote]
;)

Er, yeah, just about every great rock album had at least some Fender on it. Jazz? Not that many modern Jazz players using Fenders. Foderas maybe...
Despite my whinge about cost cutting on my MIA deluxe, it is still a fantastic instrument, and stands it's ground with a Sadowsky Metro. I know as I've just played them side by side. Thanks to the Yen/Dollar the Fender is now £500 cheaper and you get a proper hard case. Just seen the prices for the new roadworn MIM series, a joke? £969 for a Mexican Jazz???

[quote]Just seen the prices for the new roadworn MIM series, a joke? £969 for a Mexican Jazz???[/quote]

I've got to agree there, that is INSANE money for something that I could have done with a hammer and sandpaper in about 5 minutes (if pressed). A while ago we surfed down some concrete stairs on an old telecaster copy in order to give it a relic look (with the owner's permission of course), without expending any such sum of money for the privilege...