Why become a member? ×

Favorite guitarist??

bubinga5

Joe Satriani. Without a doubt. IMO, no other guitarists even come close to his combination of taste, songwriting ability, technique, as well as being a genuinely humble person. His musical ability is a real inspiration to me.

I also like Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert & Brett Garsed.

I listen to (but not necessarily like) John McLaughlin, Steve Vai, Paco deLucia, John Petrucci, Dave Fiuczynski & Blues Saraceno (no idea about his real name).

Mark

In no particular order-

John McLoughlin ........Mahavishnu Orchestra
Warren Haynes.......Government Mule/Allman Bros
Duane Allman......Allman Bros
Vernon Reid..........Living Colour
Neil Schon........Journey
Jeff Skunk Baxter.........Steely Dan/Doobie Bros
Leslie West....Mountain
Paul Kossoff........Free
Robin Trower
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Must throw Hank Marvin into the mix. Most think of the Apache's, FBI's and some of the awful theme tunes he's covered, but the stuff he was playing in the 70's and 80's was brilliant and his Guitar Player album is excellent, much under rated/overlooked. Must mention Mark Knopfler too - one of the all time greats for me.

Dave Gilmour and Andy Latimer, Jimi, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia, Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie (yes, Yngwie!) and Scott Gorham, amongst others......Dave G is tops for me, although Andy Latimer's solo on Lunar Sea is one of my faves. As with bassists, some of it comes down to tone. Vai, Satriani & Gilbert are great guitarists, but I'm not overly keen on their tone. Alan Murphy was indeed great, although ironically I'm not a big fan of his hero, Allan Holdsworth (although he's phenomenally talented, don't get me wrong). Oh, I love John Frusciante too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hendrix, Johnny Marr (The Smiths), Larry Carlton, Kevin Shields, Hiram Bullock, Johnny Greenwood, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jon Herrington, John Frusciante (back in the day), John Mayer spring to mind.

The likes of Steve Vai's music and playing leaves me cold, feels very souless and not really the sort of playing I admire. Just my opinion, like ;)