Why become a member? ×

rotosound strings - need some advice please :)

ray_6ao7

[quote name='ray_6ao7' post='399698' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:05 AM']thanks for all the advice!

d'addario have also been in touch so gonna have a word with the guitarists and see what they wanna do.[/quote]

d'addario - you're guitarist will love them. They are what I use on all of my axes. Easily the best guitar strings out there.

Bass-wise I've currently got a set of d'addario pro-steels on my Rockbass and they do sound nice, just not as nice as the DR HI-Beams. Still nice though.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='ray_6ao7' post='399698' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:05 AM']thanks for all the advice!

d'addario have also been in touch so gonna have a word with the guitarists and see what they wanna do.[/quote]
No contest - & you might be able to get some nice planet waves stuff like cables & SOS tuners by going with d'addario.

Personally I'd hold out for thomastik to make an offer though ;)

I haven't used their rounds in a while, although I think there might be a set on my t-bird (red silks and are roughish, but fairly boingy). From what I recall they were a bit rough on the fingers.

Their flats are lovely and smooth, sound alright as well on a bass that's got decent pups (they just sounded very dark on my VMJ), however they could be used to make a suspension bridge out of as their tension is so high, felt quite even across all the strings though and triplets were a breeze, fretting is of course harder due to the stiffness.

I may be thick here but - a sponsorship? Go ahead and grab it, what have you got to lose?

Worst thing to happen is that you don´t like the strings. Use something else then, no big deal. I doubt that even a Rotosound rep would be able to make out what brand of strings you have on your bass on stage. :P

FWIW, I had Roto Swing Bass Nickels on my Yamaha BB414 once - it instantly sounded, and I´m not kidding, like a Rickenbacker! ;)
Made me play a bunch of Chris Squire lines I never ever played before... :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='402218' date='Feb 6 2009, 05:53 PM']No contest - & you might be able to get some nice planet waves stuff like cables & SOS tuners by going with d'addario.

Personally I'd hold out for thomastik to make an offer though ;)[/quote]

Which just goes to show, because I really like Rotos and don't much like D'Addarios. No such thing as a good or bad make, only one you don't like. Buy a set and see what you think. Have a look at their list of endorsees. Most of my favourite players use Rotos. They die pretty quickly but are very aggressive out of the packet. Depends what you're after. FWIW I don't really like Dean Markleys, D'Addarios, Picato (do they still make them?), Warwicks & Elites, but even then it depends on what bass I'm putting them on and what sound I'm after.

Around a year ago I tried to set up an endorsement deal with Rotosound for strings for my band, which consisted of them supplying strings for -

- 2 Electric Guitars
- 1 Acoustic Guitar
- 1 Electric Bass
- 1 Electric Mandolin
- 1 Electric Fiddle

...and also drumsticks for the drummer. The deal they were offering was absolute pants, it would have actually worked out cheaper to strike a deal with a supplier than to get them direct from the company!

So my advice is - don't get ripped off. If you all use the strings religiously, go for it, otherwise you might find that you're stuck promoting something that you don't believe in.

Rotosounds are my strings of choice for two reasons.

They are cheaper then your average brand name string (Average Swing bass set is 14 quid retail)

And their ultra light gauge strings 30-90 are awesomely zingy ;)

If i had alot of money i would stick with my favoured brand which are ultima golds. Ah well.

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='402269' date='Feb 6 2009, 06:57 PM']Worst thing to happen is that you don´t like the strings. Use something else then, no big deal. I doubt that even a Rotosound rep would be able to make out what brand of strings you have on your bass on stage. ;)[/quote]

As long as you don't decide to switch to DR Hot Pinks! :P

When I didn’t know better I’d use anything, but after more experience I’ve found that Rotosound strings don’t feel right for me. They’re almost too grippy under my sausage fingers and slow down my playing. Don’t know why this happens, but I’d never choose them over pretty much anything else. To my ears they sound fine, but to my fingers they feel sh*t.

A Rickenbacker armed with a fresh set of 66s; there is no better combination in my opinion & the Funkmasters sound great on my Wal. They do lose their tone quicker than many strings, but I like to change my strings pretty regularly (I'm a very agressive player). The best thing would be to try some out and see what you think. The Nickelwound are a little warmer and kinder to the softer frets used by certain other bass manufacturers.

Oh and I've used hundreds of Rotos over the past 25 years and never had a duff string yet.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='402218' date='Feb 6 2009, 05:53 PM']No contest - & you might be able to get some nice planet waves stuff like cables & SOS tuners by going with d'addario.[/quote]

Planet waves would have been sweet but we're endorsing evidence audio cables instead ;)

[url="http://www.evidenceaudio.com"]shameless plug for evidence audio[/url]

[quote name='acidbass' post='402538' date='Feb 7 2009, 12:24 AM']Around a year ago I tried to set up an endorsement deal with Rotosound for strings for my band, which consisted of them supplying strings for -

- 2 Electric Guitars
- 1 Acoustic Guitar
- 1 Electric Bass
- 1 Electric Mandolin
- 1 Electric Fiddle

...and also drumsticks for the drummer. The deal they were offering was absolute pants, it would have actually worked out cheaper to strike a deal with a supplier than to get them direct from the company!

So my advice is - don't get ripped off. If you all use the strings religiously, go for it, otherwise you might find that you're stuck promoting something that you don't believe in.[/quote]

haven't checked this in a while but yeah whole heartedly agree...after getting in touch with them again and finding out what the deal actually entailed, what they were offering was gashtastic...