Why become a member? ×

The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”

AndyTravis

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Another one. We’ll call him “Pete” (he isn’t called Pete)

Just. So wise of the mark. Absolutely a “thanks...don’t call us; we’ll call you” kind of thing...

Good effort for actually doing it though...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ye3TVXZDDgdIqfuGmZrNrLfDaowWCLR4/view?usp=drivesdk

I think after the M&Ms it's going to be hard to find someone that excites us as much :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Another one. We’ll call him “Pete” (he isn’t called Pete)

Just. So wise of the mark. Absolutely a “thanks...don’t call us; we’ll call you” kind of thing...

Good effort for actually doing it though...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ye3TVXZDDgdIqfuGmZrNrLfDaowWCLR4/view?usp=drivesdk

He’s another Andy (AKA Pete), can’t have three Andy’s in the band. 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Right, after a little quiet from the initially enthusiastic Mike...

He’s contacted singer to say he’s not well...

Gutted - I was waiting with genuine anticipation as to how it was going to work out with Mike.

Do you think it's cold feet?

2 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

Gutted - I was waiting with genuine anticipation as to how it was going to work out with Mike.

Do you think it's cold feet?

I think so.

There was a comment about the bass being very busy when the original track was sent through, and I wonder if it’s not his thing. 

We’ll see.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I think so.

There was a comment about the bass being very busy when the original track was sent through, and I wonder if it’s not his thing. 

We’ll see.

Well you've still got Maurizio :).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I think so.

We’ll see.

Can you imagine the 💩 storm that would arise if one had the temerity to suggest that a guitar part was very busy? :facepalm:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, how dare you not play steady 8ths... know your place, Andy, know your place.

Edited by mcnach
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I think so.

We’ll see.

Hmmm......I have a story about a drummer who said the same about me.

He was obviously insane.

It didn't end well.

For him.

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

This rehearsal is one of those “oh dear” moments.

Nothing being achieved. 

Oh no - that doesn't sound good.  A problem with Mr. Maurizio or a wider band thing.

Edited by PatrickJ

He’s just not really getting it.

he’s shown us about 5 ideas tonight.

And all sound like the old “total guitar” jam along tracks in the style of RHCP.

One of ‘his’ chord progressions was Californication. And I played the Flea bass riff over the Chords - he didn’t bat an eyelid.

Another one was “Readymade” another was “Dark Necessities”.

The rest were derivatives.

Anything I brought to the table - which I have loads of little ideas...decent enough...he just played those derivative wah things over - and not even in the key.

He apologised profusely. But he was well off.

I called it an hour early and I’m sat on the drive fizzing, before I have a beer.

Singer and Drummer looking to me for answers or to step in. I’d just had enough - was awkward. Felt like turd all day so I didn’t need it.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Sad 3

A lot of us in bands have been in these situations many times before in either putting a band together or auditioning replacement members.

Expectations are really high based on previous communications and when it comes to actually auditioning them (if it even gets that far), they have nowhere near the capabilities they have talked themselves up to have, reality soon hits and it’s a massive disappointment.

We know how you feel, keep at it, you may have a few more to weed through, but you will find someone suitable at some point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

So Maurizio isn’t staying. I’m all for giving chances and stuff...

The lads are raging. And when they list their issues from tonight...maybe I’ve been too kind.

Oh man, sounds like things didn't go well at all with Maurizo - and we all had such high hope's for him.  Sorry it didn't work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steantval said:

A lot of us in bands have been in these situations many times before in either putting a band together or auditioning replacement members.

Expectations are really high based on previous communications and when it comes to actually auditioning them (if it even gets that far), they have nowhere near the capabilities they have talked themselves up to have, reality soon hits and it’s a massive disappointment.

We know how you feel, keep at it, you may have a few more to weed through, but you will find someone suitable at some point.

Yeah - the main thing for me is his playing is really inflexible. I try to be as flexible as possible.

but the list from the lads;

Played out of time

Played out of tune

no dynamics - just played at one level

mad choices with overdrive/distortion 

instead of listening; turned up louder

same riff over all ideas

didn’t play any of the songs he’d learned of ours correctly.

then there’s the fact that he just said “I can’t remember those songs” - we only released a 4 track EP, not like it’s a huge back catalogue.

Maybe he thought his foot was in the door. But I think that’s even more reason to do better.

I’ve messaged him. Told him we’ll keep looking, thanks for his time etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

then there’s the fact that he just said “I can’t remember those songs” - we only released a 4 track EP, not like it’s a huge back catalogue

** now looking for this EP so I can listen **

Ah man, see - I hate being the guy who sends that message.

he’s got really snarky with me - that he was tired and he knows it wasn’t great, and we didn’t give him a chance etc.

I’m not getting into it with him.

If he sends me another message, I’ve got 2 options...

”block”

or

”listen pal, he’s the shopping list of errors...”