Why become a member? ×

Three cheers for Howard, The Bass Doc!

eightball

just back from sunny newcastle (well, sunnier than glasgow!), SWR Golath II in boot! huge thanks to howard, for not only for the great cab, but maybe more so for the hospitality and the chat! always good to speak with a fellow fan of mr fender. if anyone is considering dealing with howard, don't hesitate - it'll be more than worth it. top guy! awesome collection of 4 stringers there too howard ;)

I couldn't list all the dealings I've had with Howard over the last 20 years or so !!!

Recently did a top job fitting EMG's into my Squier 60's Jazz, routed a lovely neat battery compartment in the rear.....

My fingers are still hurting off playing his 63 Precision with 110 - 50 Flats ;)

Nice cup of coffee too......

Cheers Howie

Mark

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='394319' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:20 AM']So many dealings going back so many years that I hate to think! :)

My first foray into having a Custom bass built was by Howard... (forgive the look, it was 20 years ago :P )

[/quote]

Who are you, and what have you done with Warwickhunt? :huh: The turny things are all on one side of that headstock, and there isn't any sign of a 'W' anywhere! ;)

I think Howard built the body of my Stingray (neck by Jim Cairnes) which I bought from CD_David. It is easily as good as the genuine 'rays I've had ('tis a heavy bugger though)

It's changed a bit since this pic with a new MM bridge and MM pickup but you get the idea.
(apologies to funkydoug for using his pic):
[attachment=19371:DSCF3270.JPG]

Edited by RayFW

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='394385' date='Jan 29 2009, 10:41 AM']Who are you, and what have you done with Warwickhunt? :huh: The turny things are all on one side of that headstock, and there isn't any sign of a 'W' anywhere! ;)[/quote]

That picture would look lovely on a tee shirt. You know, the type you could wear at a social event, say in Seaton Deleval on say the 1st of March :P :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='394346' date='Jan 29 2009, 09:11 AM']But John you look so much younger now.....smarm....crawl.....etc...[/quote]

[quote name='JPJ' post='395059' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:36 PM']That picture would look lovely on a tee shirt. You know, the type you could wear at a social event, say in Seaton Deleval on say the 1st of March :P :)[/quote]

What a bunch of shiftless chisellers! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case it's thought I only create 4 string F & MM types - here's an example of the last 6 string I built about 18 months ago - I reckon it was No. 11 in a series with this body shape - 1 was a 4 string, 1 5 string and 1 fretless 6 - mostly with walnut bodies and a variety of hardware finishes and electronics

[attachment=20345:DCFC0410.JPG]

This particular guy requested active EMGs without active circuitry but the control layout lends itself to an upgrade to two band actives by completing the 'diamond' shape of the pots - and if he does decide that in the future he'll be as happy as a man with four knobs.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='410311' date='Feb 15 2009, 07:08 PM']Just in case it's thought I only create 4 string F & MM types - here's an example of the last 6 string I built about 18 months ago - I reckon it was No. 11 in a series with this body shape - 1 was a 4 string, 1 5 string and 1 fretless 6 - mostly with walnut bodies and a variety of hardware finishes and electronics

[attachment=20345:DCFC0410.JPG]

This particular guy requested active EMGs without active circuitry but the control layout lends itself to an upgrade to two band actives by completing the 'diamond' shape of the pots - and if he does decide that in the future he'll be as happy as a man with four knobs.[/quote]

My friend Dan ordered the 6 string fretless I can confirm it is an amazing bass.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='643321' date='Nov 2 2009, 12:45 PM']That walnut Jazz looks familiar.2x jazz + single jazz ? did it ever have a walnut neck ?I had one like that.[/quote]

That one was a 'Satterley Special' built from scratch for me. It may well be that it passed through your hands after me (via Howard, as that's the way it went from me) but it didn't have a walnut neck at the time. :)

Three cheers indeed, dealt witn the Doc a few times and always a pleasure. This time, not only did I receive a brand spanking new set of La Bella Hen's Teeth/Rocking Horse Pooh, but I also got a poem, which I won't recount here, but which made me laugh on a wet Friday morning and prompted she who might one day become Mrs Beedster to say "oh, he must be such a sweet man"

Chicks eh :)

[quote name='metaltime' post='410317' date='Feb 15 2009, 08:12 PM']My friend Dan ordered the 6 string fretless I can confirm it is an amazing bass.[/quote]

I did indeed, it's an awesome piece 'o kit, and number 1 in the series with that body shape :)

Shame it's in England, I miss it now... damn you basschat!!

• 3 years later...

I recently got the 'not pink' jazz from hillbilly deluxe; I'd not come across the Howard/Jim Cairnes combo before... It's the best 'Jazz' I've played, the feel is just perfect. I know it was a big deal to let it go but just to say I do appreciate it. Having this bass i just can't believe there are not more big names playing work by these guys.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1233217222' post='394319']
So many dealings going back so many years that I hate to think! :P

My first foray into having a Custom bass built was by Howard... (forgive the look, it was 20 years ago ;) )

[/quote]
That fella behind you looks familiar......:P