Jump to content
AndyTravis

Flea Dream vs Reality? A quandary

Recommended Posts

Keep it. That big flake sparkle is fabulous and it provides a nice contrast to a jazz bass - you won’t be able to replace it very easily and you’ll just have seller’s regret. Which reminds me...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Both! I’m greedy. 

In fairness I thought I had ticket #2 on the purple! 😂 

Yeah, you might be right actually. I think @Chiliwailer has first refusal to buy it back, but I think you’re next.

You’ve all got a loooong wait tho 😜

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, colleya said:

Might take you up on that. My tastes are diversifying a bit. Never played a graphite neck.

Ah yes...”that” neck...KLD...5FD6913D-9FA5-4A3E-851F-96668C3A5977.thumb.jpeg.f0363cad6e09b8180f40ed9ecfd981a3.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve not been playing much over Christmas, busy with visitors from Australia, kids, a poorly pair of grandmothers (one who actually passed away On the 2nd Jan) and just loads going on in my head.

i think I just got Bogged down in “do I need all this stuff...” territory.

Appreciate all the replies and thoughts.

think the fender Power Jazz selling has lifted the guilt complex a bit.

Sorry to hear all that Andy. I’ve had a few years of “loads of stuff going on in my head” and have experienced a few bereavements this year, so I sympathise. It’s easy to start to lose the plot when that happens (or it is for me, at least). 

Hope everything gets better for you.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 4000 said:

Sorry to hear all that Andy. I’ve had a few years of “loads of stuff going on in my head” and have experienced a few bereavements this year, so I sympathise. It’s easy to start to lose the plot when that happens (or it is for me, at least). 

Hope everything gets better for you.

 

+1

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Sorry to hear all that Andy. I’ve had a few years of “loads of stuff going on in my head” and have experienced a few bereavements this year, so I sympathise. It’s easy to start to lose the plot when that happens (or it is for me, at least). 

Hope everything gets better for you.

 

⬆️ This.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Sorry to hear all that Andy. I’ve had a few years of “loads of stuff going on in my head” and have experienced a few bereavements this year, so I sympathise. It’s easy to start to lose the plot when that happens (or it is for me, at least). 

Hope everything gets better for you.

 

Yup 100% this

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

All this talk of Modulus and we appeared to have summoned a nice Quantum in the for sale section 😀

 

The seller is a stand up guy, we discussed this bass (which is a stunner) and I elected to wait for a VJ to come up for sale...didn’t realise quantum’s were 35” on the 4 string too...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

All this talk of Modulus and we appeared to have summoned a nice Quantum in the for sale section 😀

 

Hmmm. So if I start a thread about a stingray 5 special in charcoal sparkle for £500 what are the chances......

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, colleya said:

Hmmm. So if I start a thread about a stingray 5 special in charcoal sparkle for £500 what are the chances......

I’ve had about 6 stingrays...just find a Modulus 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, colleya said:

Hmmm. So if I start a thread about a stingray 5 special in charcoal sparkle for £500 what are the chances......

Mmm. I’m not sure what sort of incantation you’ll have to come up with to get one for £500 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Mmm. I’m not sure what sort of incantation you’ll have to come up with to get one for £500 😉

Currently loving my stealth black classic ray, but I'm a tart for a bit of sparkle!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Mmm. Not sure about the blocks tho 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The seller is a stand up guy, we discussed this bass (which is a stunner) and I elected to wait for a VJ to come up for sale...didn’t realise quantum’s were 35” on the 4 string too...

34" scale was an option on the Quantum 4 string. I believe it was free of charge but had to be specified. It was a paid option on the 5 and 6 string basses but I can't recall ever seeing a 34" Quantum 5 or 6. I'm sure there will be some out there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yeah, you might be right actually. I think @Chiliwailer has first refusal to buy it back, but I think you’re next.

You’ve all got a loooong wait tho 😜

‘Think’? 
Don”t let me down buddy... the fact that you’re not selling it, and that I’m currently happy with just my Ray has absolutely nothing to do with it 🤣

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Mmm. Not sure about the blocks tho 😬

I’ll take the scratchings out the deal then

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve not been playing much over Christmas, busy with visitors from Australia, kids, a poorly pair of grandmothers (one who actually passed away On the 2nd Jan) and just loads going on in my head.

i think I just got Bogged down in “do I need all this stuff...” territory.

Appreciate all the replies and thoughts.

think the fender Power Jazz selling has lifted the guilt complex a bit.

Sorry to hear that dude, And I totally know how you feel. When my mum passed away last year, I had the same feeling and wanted to get rid of a bunch of expensive equipment I had lying around not being used. I did get rid of some of it mainly guitars. To be honest I haven’t regretted it.

But I wouldn’t get rid of my dream bass. Hopefully you will find the joy in it very soon!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2020 at 10:59, Delberthot said:

 

More recently I have been struggling to get a proper P bass sound with my Player Precision and almost ended up selling it. I bought a cheap Behringer compressor sustainer and it has completely transformed the sound to the familiar, almost slightly overdriven sound that I know and love from all of those old Queen albums. This cheap, plastic £17 pedal is absolutely incredible and have it switched on all of the time with both my Jazz and Precision.

This has had me looking at ‘grindy’ compressors (I used to use an EBS Multicomp, but haven’t had it for years) and I’m liking the sound of the Fairfield Accountant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be hesitant to sell a lovely bass like the Flea at short notice, but if it's not doing it for you, there is little more that can be said. Suffice to say, I've always thought nice jazz basses were ten a penny but for something a bit more special, you have to sometimes go out on a limb and that can include taking a chance on buying a bass that you're not sure if you'll get on with. You could end up with something that gives an experience far beyond what a jazz bass could provide, or you could end up with more fodder for the classifieds. 

If you don't think your feelings are going to change any time soon, just flog it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...