Why become a member? ×

Flea Dream vs Reality? A quandary

AndyTravis

Just now, 40hz said:

@AndyTravis I have a similar set up to you as I've just picked up a Japanese Fender Marcus Miller. I'm however finding my experience the total opposite. My Flea cuts through so much more in the mix than the Marcus Miller. Moreso than any bass I've owned.

If I remember correctly, your preamp is the Aguilar? I had that on my first Flea, but I did find the level of boost available overpowering. The bass control could get swampy very quickly. It's probably an obvious thing to say but try cutting back on the bass more than you usually would and you'll find the mids come back.

Selling my first Flea was something I regretted heavily and it took years to find another, let alone a sparkly one! Don't do it!

Ah see. I miss my MM - I swear if I find a later Mexican one in white I’ll be buying it.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Those Behringer compressors really punch above their weight/cost, don’t they?

I got it just to try using a compressor, if I'd liked what it did then I was planning on buying a more expensive one but it gives me exactly what I need.

Everyone has a favourite external preamp but I am finding that the Radial Tonebone that I am using is the most incredible piece of tone shaping that I have ever used. It's almost impossible to get a bad sound from it.

I love the sound of a Jazz bass with both volumes up and the tone at about 60% but this meant losing some of the mids - the Tonebone gave me back my mids to enable me to cut through yet still retain the sound that I love.

The compressor also adds an extra layer of something, a kind of brightness that I can't explain but isn't a harsh top end

I don’t know if this helps at all, but I always find that when I only own my main gigging basses (all Rics) I don’t really play them at home, so I practice less. I only use them for rehearsals, gigs and recordings. Whereas if I have something a bit different in the collection, even if I don’t gig it, I tend to play it at home a lot more, simply because it keeps things interesting and changes things up a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Whereas if I have something a bit different in the collection, even if I don’t gig it, I tend to play it at home a lot more, simply because it keeps things interesting and changes things up a bit. 

+1 ^^ 

Totally agree! Having a bit of variety seems to keep things tonally fresh for me.

It sounds to me Andy that you just haven't spent enough time getting to know the Modulus yet. A great nugget of advice that I read on here once comes to mind (from StingRay Pete I believe):

When using a 2-band 'Ray he suggested setting the bass control to suit the musical situation and room then forget about it. From there just view the treble control as you would a passive tone control which you can tweak song to song. Volume dialled I presume. 

At your next rehearsal, if possible, try setting your amp flat and stand as far away from your amp as you can so your judgement isn't tainted by what you hear right next to it. You'll have a much better idea of what you need to tweak and what other people are hearing too. 

Don't mean to come across as trying to teach you to suck eggs mate, it's just I had a great old StingRay that I regret selling because I didn't get how to dial it in at the time. 

I read Pete's tip too late unfortunately. 

Spend a year or two with your Flea before you make your mind up and give it a good go, you'll probably find your sound in there eventually. Plus you scored one in the best finish! 

Edited by miles'tone

I’ve not been playing much over Christmas, busy with visitors from Australia, kids, a poorly pair of grandmothers (one who actually passed away On the 2nd Jan) and just loads going on in my head.

i think I just got Bogged down in “do I need all this stuff...” territory.

Appreciate all the replies and thoughts.

think the fender Power Jazz selling has lifted the guilt complex a bit.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about your grandmother Andy, hope the family is ok.

The chase is often a big part of the fun. It's easy to build up in your head that a particular bass/amp/cab/whatever will be the one. I get sucked into that a lot.

If we thought logically about it we'd spend the cash on lessons, but where's the fun in that? If the basses you have make you happy and you can afford to keep them all then keep them mate. Looks like you've got a great collection, don't over think it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Haha. It’s staying. Stress not...although I know there’s a queue of vultures lined up 😂

One of the reasons I didn't go for the power jazz. I'd have come to try it out, but I'd really have been hankering after a go on the flea.

• Haha 1