Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

4 hours ago, Richard R said:

Just seen that the KZ ZS10 Pros are now down to £37 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linsoul-KZ-ZS10-Earphones-Detachable-Black/dp/B09DK2N5G3?th=1

I

Yes I think I will grab a set as a spare - is there any harm getting the version with mic so I can also use for zoom calls - ie is it a different connector?

15 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Yes I think I will grab a set as a spare - is there any harm getting the version with mic so I can also use for zoom calls - ie is it a different connector?

There's an extra ring on the jack plug, for the mic connection, so it may not be compatible with your current IEM socket. B|

6 hours ago, Richard R said:

I'm told custom-fit moulds are much more comfortable, as they are just a close fit rather than relying on compression, but that's an expensive gamble. 

It's money very very very well spent, I have custom fit earplugs and they are wonderful. If I was going IEM, I would not hesitate in getting custom moulded buds. 

59 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There's an extra ring on the jack plug, for the mic connection, so it may not be compatible with your current IEM socket. B|

If it's only an extra ring on the jack socket it will still be compatible with 1/4 headphone outputs, I think it was more the other end of the cable I was thinking about - ie would it still be compatible with third party cables.

Edited by SimonK

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It's money very very very well spent, I have custom fit earplugs and they are wonderful. If I was going IEM, I would not hesitate in getting custom moulded buds. 

But presumably custom moulded buds only fit certain drivers? The KZ-ZS10 is good enough as a driver for £40, what price a custom bud and would it fit?

Thanks for the good advice on in-ears. I will probably share the recommendation with the leader. If he passes it on to the group, and if others buy the kit themselves, then I will too.

However, if nobody makes a move to buy in ears, then I won't bother either. 

I still think that the church should contribute  or supplement the purchase.   But that's just me being grumpy 

Edited by bass_dinger
  • Like 1

At our church the church is buying the IEM amps, and then people use what they want in their ears.

But it isn’t mandatory,  and a lot of the vocalists prefer a wedge monitor.

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard R said:

But presumably custom moulded buds only fit certain drivers? The KZ-ZS10 is good enough as a driver for £40, what price a custom bud and would it fit?

I had a set of custom mould earplugs which I'd stopped using.  I had a pair of KZ-ZS10s but was never happy with any of the ear buds I had fitted.  So I popped out the attenuators from the earplugs and, using clear silicon mastic, stuck the KZs in them  Making sure I didn't gum up the ends by sticking some tubing over them, which I later pulled out.  Worked a treat. 

• Thanks 1

I just took advantage of the Amazon offer and bought the IEMs with the mic figuring I can use them for zoom meetings as well. I'm toying with getting the little Behringer headphone monitor as well and going fully in ear just for myself, as I think I can plug the XLR from my wedge into one input and then run an additional line out from my pedal board (via a second DI box) to the second input and mix accordingly....

Screenshot2024-02-27at20_06_30.thumb.png.5f7f5ddfbbf28a6a20ab8320b9e4c17c.png

1 hour ago, SimonK said:

I just took advantage of the Amazon offer and bought the IEMs with the mic figuring I can use them for zoom meetings as well. I'm toying with getting the little Behringer headphone monitor as well and going fully in ear just for myself, as I think I can plug the XLR from my wedge into one input and then run an additional line out from my pedal board (via a second DI box) to the second input and mix accordingly....

I've used the P2 for the last couple of years and found it pretty good. 

1 hour ago, SimonK said:

These are exactly what we use in our church - nice affordable piece of kit. I had my own (to go with my KZs) but later the church bought the P1 for everyone, and as the OP said, its then up to the individuals to get their own in-ears which I think is fair. As I always worry about battery failure, I got the mains adapter for mine, and it sits on the amp head, and then I connect a 3m mini-jack extension so I can wander about whilst playng.  On more than one occasion I've walked off stage forgetting I'm connected and had a bit of yank !!!

Just found out what we have as far as IEMs go, it’s about 13 years old but still works great apparently. I think they are looking to get wireless IEMs for the whole stage as the wires are a bit crazy and look messy but that’ll be costly so we looking to fundraise for them. 
Don’t ask me about any more details as I don’t know what below means anyway!!
“Digidesign profile mixrack controls monitors - full IEM is used on stage with Shure PSM600 hardwired packs and six channels of Sennheiser wireless IEM.”

6 minutes ago, Richard R said:

It means you have a system that would make many church sound engineers envious. 

Yeah I understand it’s nice stuff, we try to look after it well. We’ve done a lot of music stuff over the years (couple of CDs) so when the new building was built for us we went for a decent system. The auditorium does get hired out for big concerts so it’s probably paid for itself in some respects over the years. I remember we held the Big Church night in with Wickham/Rend Collective which was pretty cool. 
Just makes it more daunting for me!! But everyone has been super helpful and supportive. Been practising those 3 songs like crazy despite having flu so hopefully it’ll go ok. 

Edited by Minininjarob

9 minutes ago, Richard R said:

It means you have a system that would make many church sound engineers envious. 

It’s not about the kit though it’s the spirit behind it all. I went to a “church” (basically someone’s front room) where there was only 6 of us singing along to a CD and that was a great time of worship, I’ll always remember it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

FYI a little factooid from a church friend who helped set it all up (he works for the installation company) - the first song to be played through our PA was Rage Against the Machine - Bombtrack. Probably hasn’t been played since!! Great for testing I suppose. 

I have assorted reference tracks I use for PA setup. Bat Out of Hell is one I use - not because the mix is especially good, more that I know exactly how it should sound. 
Top Tip - Never use Daft Punk's Random Access Memories  as a reference album.- the production on that album is so good that it sounds great on anything from a stadium rig and very expensive hi-fi, through ear-buds to rusty tin cans.  I've listened to it a thousand times, and I still don't know how they do it.

52 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I have assorted reference tracks I use for PA setup. Bat Out of Hell is one I use - not because the mix is especially good, more that I know exactly how it should sound. 
Top Tip - Never use Daft Punk's Random Access Memories  as a reference album.- the production on that album is so good that it sounds great on anything from a stadium rig and very expensive hi-fi, through ear-buds to rusty tin cans.  I've listened to it a thousand times, and I still don't know how they do it.

One of our church members is a pro sound engineer and he does a course on how to use all the tech we have, he does a section on how to recognise when something is mixed well, and that album is one he uses as an example. 
Most people on the musicians team are novices and really appreciate his help. I tried to how to do the FOH desk but it’s way beyond me. 

4 hours ago, Richard R said:

My go-to track for PA testing is "Am I Wrong?" by 1990s goth band Rosetta Stone, gives the sub a nice workout 😈

• Like 1

Just got the ZS10 Pros through and thought I would test them with Daft Punk's Random Access Memories based on the above discussion - pretty awesome, especially the bass guitar tone - something to aspire to!

Edited by SimonK
  • Like 3