Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

3 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

Good heavens - what is that Trace rig? Surely that will blast folk out of the balcony 😂😂

Agreed, no problems propagating and bass sound with that rig!!!

1 hour ago, SimonK said:

My stone pillar has been plastered a nice white colour and prevents me seeing the keyboard player at all - I feel very priviledged.

A still from the livestream of the last time I played.  I must have enjoyed it as I had crept into view!

Note the "OEM" over-ear monitor necessitated by the complete lack of bass response in my crappy IEMs, and the puzzled look at the fretboard due to me playing a 4 string bass for the first time in about three years. 😆

Screenshot_20240325_175055_YouTube.thumb.jpg.49dfcdf2d71c264d0ddf6e981ee84065.jpg

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

A still from the livestream of the last time I played.  I must have enjoyed it as I had crept into view!

Note the "OEM" over-ear monitor necessitated by the complete lack of bass response in my crappy IEMs, and the puzzled look at the fretboard due to me playing a 4 string bass for the first time in about three years. 😆

Screenshot_20240325_175055_YouTube.thumb.jpg.49dfcdf2d71c264d0ddf6e981ee84065.jpg

Is that a Ric you are playing?  I haven’t played mine in church - I thought it might be a bit of a distraction for some in the congregation (and my G&L L2K is a great instrument anyway and looks good in sunburst with a gloss finish creating an attractive light show).  

Edited by Simon C

It is a Ric, and one which is of particular significance in the worship life of Shirley Baptist Church.

It's an early 70s 4000s, single pickup UK spec. It belonged to a guy called Kev Whitehouse, who was a member of the congregation and stalwart of multiple worship bands for many years. He was one of the nicest guys you could ever know and a great musician. Bass, lead guitar,  rhythm guitar, mandolin and drums. Occasionally three out of four in the same song.

He started teaching me bass in about March 2018, but died unexpectedly in that July (Much to everyone's shock but his, though that's another story). The bass now belongs to a family friend, but she’s not playing at the moment due to wrist problems. I was helping her out with something else and asked if I could borrow it. The first time it has been back on stage at SBC and I was honoured to play it. It was definitely noticed by the musicians in church. 

It is also the best sounding  Ric I have ever played! Full, round, no clank, and just so easy to play. Shame she will probably never let it go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Agreed, no problems propagating and bass sound with that rig!!!

Anyone who has spent time in a church will realise that things which are big, bulky, musical and unwanted will end up there...

Organ. Pianos. 4×12 bass cabs. Soprano singers.

• Haha 4

As we have a baptism on Sunday, I looked back at photos of when my wife and I were baptised 4 years ago, the worship team then had a drummer, a bass player, a keyboard player, a guitarist and 5 singers.......this Sunday, there are only 3 of us playing in total.

It's going to be hard to play MY REDEEMER LIVES and VICTOR'S CROWN and do them justice with 3 people.

We've got a drummer, a keyboard player and me on bass and lead vocals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

@bass_dinger I have faith in myself and one other.

Back in the day, baptisms were a big deal but nowadays, nobody wants to put themselves out. 

Everybody else seems to have adopted a "that'll do" attitude.

Hey if you just go for it and try your best then you will be blessed. It’s not the people or instruments you may or may not have, it’s the spirit in which you do it in. 
I think people don’t understand or forget what a privilege it is to lead people into worship. 

• Like 1

Ok ive been practising the same three songs over and over again to try and get into a worship “headspace”. As I usually play fast rock/punk music with a pick it’s hard to dial it down for worship songs but I’m enjoying the process. Trying to learn finger style as best I can just to get the right tone. My timing needs to be improved a lot!

looking forward to the next worship band workshop in a few weeks. Apparently there is a curriculum being developed to bring new members in which is nice for me as I’m self taught and have no idea what I’m doing half the time. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

As we have a baptism on Sunday, I looked back at photos of when my wife and I were baptised 4 years ago, the worship team then had a drummer, a bass player, a keyboard player, a guitarist and 5 singers.......this Sunday, there are only 3 of us playing in total.

It's going to be hard to play MY REDEEMER LIVES and VICTOR'S CROWN and do them justice with 3 people.

We've got a drummer, a keyboard player and me on bass and lead vocals.

Not played MRL in years. Was always a blast to play. So long as you’ve got a keys player who’s not afraid to bash out a rhythm-heavy piano part enthusiastically (as opposed to a polite, Richard Clayderman playing style) you’ll be golden. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

It’s not the people or instruments you may or may not have, it’s the spirit in which you do it in. 

Sadly, people take that to extremes, and turn up with no preparation at all, or without having sung through the songs, or even looked at the song list. Usually that's the singers, but I once had a bassist turn up without their bass....

45 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I think people don’t understand or forget what a privilege it is to lead people into worship. 

Agreed! It's not a gig, it's an opportunity to serve others.  Why do people treat it like they're doing the congregation a favour by tuning up on the day? Get excited people  - it's important. 

• Like 2

@bass_dinger & @Minininjarob  I wholeheartedly agree, being able to serve and play in church is a blessing and an honour, it's the time when you put ego and self firmly behind you and you play for the good of the congregation and, for the Lord.

I hate it when people who continually rock up late or, don't listen to the songs, then try to hide behind crap such as "God hears all worship as good worship, even bad worship".  I've heard some sung worship that borders on blasphemy.

This is so true @Nice Guy Rich. If you offering praise to the King of the Universe, it needs to be the best you can possibly play/sing. As an aside, it’s really difficult for a congregation to get a lead from badly played music. I remember one time when a music group was endeavouring to play “Indescribable” but really weren’t getting close and someone said it was more like “Unrecognisable “.

I hasten to add I was not in that band.

• Haha 2

Am playing the Cajon in a stripped back Good Friday service (just acoustic guitar, keys & cajon) tomorrow morning which should be fun. I was just listening to some of the songs and reminded myself of Iona's awesome cover of "When I Survey". We won't quite be doing it that slowly or with Dave Bainbridge's guitar work - but will try to get the Celtic feel!

Then we undo all the sobreity of Good Friday by having a full band practice for Easter Sunday straight after the service... "Greatest Day" etc. etc. back on bass.

Edited by SimonK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SimonK said:

We won't quite be doing it that slowly or with Dave Bainbridge's guitar work - but will try to get the Celtic feel!

He’s such a fantastic musician- still miss Iona. Will be seeing him playing up in London on Saturday evening, playing in Adrian Snell’s band for a live performance of The Passion, with full orchestra and choir! Can’t wait!!!

4 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

Hope all you playing this Easter have a great time of worship!! 

I'm playing at Easter Sunday morning service and looking forward to it. Looking through the hymns, we're doing "How Deep the Father's Love For Us". A little bit scary with its alternating 6/4 and 4/4 bars. Does anyone have experience of playing it?