Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

On 30/09/2023 at 20:55, bass_dinger said:

If Hillsong had people who could play like that, churches would not have people who could play like Hillsong!

Do churches still play hillsong?  
Isn’t that a bit like going to see a Gary Glitter tribute act?

On 01/10/2023 at 21:10, Richard R said:

Yep.

Give it a while and  I'm sure we can find a very tenuous interpretation of a really obscure verse to back that up. 😉

As prophesied by @Richard R, an obscure verse, misinterpreted, in order to prove that God plays bass...

"Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me” (Psalm 42:7).

Who needs an Eich baseboard, when one has waterfalls and waves to emphasise the low end!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/10/2023 at 21:16, DJpullchord said:

Cool. 
I played a gig in Brecon Cathedral once.

It sounded awful. Hope I wasn’t judged.

Judged? Only by other bassists....!

Those big buildings are notoriously difficult to balance sound in. Hard surfaces all round, and a lot of space to fill, and some standing waves (sound, not Mexican...), make it a challenge to get a good sound. 

Well done for getting the gig - I have never played in such a venue!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

@Chadu25 Love `PRAISE', it's a great song.  I'm planning on including it in a service in a couple of weeks.

Super! We've just started introducing this song to or church in West Kensington; and the congregation really loves it. It's like a batllecry of hope an encouragement.

On 01/10/2023 at 20:42, DJpullchord said:

Does god play bass?

On 01/10/2023 at 21:10, Richard R said:

Yep.

Give it a while and  I'm sure we can find a very tenuous interpretation of a really obscure verse to back that up. 😉

(Psalm 69:2,14,15) God holds the deep places... ?

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Loved this song since Elevation released it. Here's a short playthrough I did last night while practising for this coming sunday service. Have a blessed week bass friends!

Coincidentally we are just learning this song at the mo so thanks for the play through!!

Has anyone else come across or used this browser add-in?

https://transpose.video/

It does pitch-shifting on YT video in real time. Which could be incredibly useful as our worship leaders never play the song in the same key as the one used in their example link. Not used it in anger yet, but I wish I'd had it last week

Desktop Chrome or Edge only, and seems OK on the privacy front.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Richard R said:

It does pitch-shifting on YT video in real time. Which could be incredibly useful as our worship leaders never play the song in the same key as the one used in their example link. Not used it in anger yet, but I wish I'd had it last week

I use it! Super helpful for me, wish I had known it sooner so I don't have to learn the song in the original key and then transpose it to the WL key. Easier for me to practise the basslines or fills that I plan to do as I play it on the key the WL sends it and I don't have to shift positions. I'm still slow with the number system thing which is why this is really helpful for me :D

14 hours ago, Risk101 said:

Coincidentally we are just learning this song at the mo so thanks for the play through!!

You're welcome! Happy to know my vid can help you as you learn this song. God bless! I'm also serving this sunday and will be playing this too :D Cheers!

My first outing on Sunday for a couple of months due to work commitments, and it’s quite a fun set lis including a few old classics! Am really looking forward to it, especially as one of my girls is playing drums!

Hi Ian, song list for Sunday is

ALL AGE: 
We wanna see Jesus lifted high (G)

MAIN SET: 
We are here for you (A)
Holy, Holy aka Lift up his name with the sound of singing (E)
King of Kings, Majesty (E) 

REFLECTIVE SONGS
Build My Life (G)
Run to the Father (C)

JUST-IN-CASE SONG
Cornerstone (A)

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2023 at 19:56, Richard R said:

Ha this is great! Just stumbled across your post. Even just to hear Matt Redman sound like he's trying to sing like the Andrew Eldrich from the Sisters of Mercy :D

I am going to try this out! Great suggestion.

EDIT - Alright, maybe not as metal as I hoped for. 😅 Still great tool!

Edited by GoodShowSir
additional info
  • Like 1

There's nothing personal on there, it's just a long list of the arseholery that I have to put up with from other people;

• People turning up without their instrument and then wondering why they can't play.
  • Persistent lateness, these people must get bored of saying "sorry I'm late" every time they walk into a room.
  • People not even listening to the songs and then expecting someone else to teach it to them when we're supposed to be rehearsing.
  • People not turning up for rehearsal because they forgot they were playing.
  • Complete lack of communication, people not reading their Whatsapp messages for days and then, when they have finally read it, they don't bother replying to the question I asked them.

The list goes on....

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

There's nothing personal on there, it's just a long list of the arseholery that I have to put up with from other people;

• People turning up without their instrument and then wondering why they can't play.
  • Persistent lateness, these people must get bored of saying "sorry I'm late" every time they walk into a room.
  • People not even listening to the songs and then expecting someone else to teach it to them when we're supposed to be rehearsing.
  • People not turning up for rehearsal because they forgot they were playing.
  • Complete lack of communication, people not reading their Whatsapp messages for days and then, when they have finally read it, they don't bother replying to the question I asked them.

The list goes on....

Yep, been there.... 

If all these people  - the ones without instruments or the will to learn the songs - we're sacked, would your church be left with a good core of musicians, that you would be pleased to play with?

A conversation with the leaders, and a radical pruning, may be the way forward.

Sadly, no matter how good you are, you can't lift the output of the others.  However, the leaders often see the band as an opportunity for people to serve and get involved (but here's a clue .... to get involved one has to turn up with an instrument!).

But before you do all that, can you share the Pros list?

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Yup. In other words, it's a band :lol: 

" if a band rehearses without instruments, and by not turning up, does it make a sound....?"

• Like 1