Why become a member? ×

'73 Telecaster Bass

Beedster

[attachment=19159:CIMG0276.JPG][attachment=19160:CIMG0277.JPG]

Bought in several pieces as a project in October, it's far from finished but at least all the pieces are now together. Great bass, and likely a keeper. Stunning piece of wood albeit extremely heavy. Tone to die for (see the thread in Bass Guitars for discussion re sound and PUPs etc [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35826)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35826)[/url]. .

Couple of before pics above and and after pics below. No idea what the white stuff was but it took a hell of a lot of sanding to get rid of it. Lots of Danish Oil and Warwick wax later and it's starting to look like a bass again ;)

[attachment=19161:CIMG0420.JPG][attachment=19162:CIMG0431.JPG]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='390942' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:09 PM']I bet the fool who sold you that regrets it now. ;)[/quote]

You wouldn't have said that during the sandpaper phase :P

As for what's next with this, lots of playing I hope. I've ordered a Fender high mass vintage bridge as I want to play it with La Bella Deep Talkers which do not like to be strung through the body, plus I've no doubt the intonation will be much better with one saddle per string. Otherwise I'm very happy with the action (which is amazingly low, although it took me some time to get it there), and the sound, which is pure bass (I can turn the treble dial on my head through its entire range without affecting the sound in the slightest). For the time being then I'll content myself with making the lives of local earthworms somewhat more vibratory, whilst in the longer term, and as you may have read in the other thread, I'm thinking of putting a second mudbucker in the PPUP position, but that will require a lot of thought and cash so I'm going to wait a while.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='391478' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:17 AM']I've ordered a Fender high mass vintage bridge as I want to play it with La Bella Deep Talkers which do not like to be strung through the body, plus I've no doubt the intonation will be much better with one saddle per string.[/quote]

That the set up on my MIA P Bass, lovely sound!

• 1 month later...