Why become a member? ×

Gig Prep

stewblack

40 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

When my old band spilt up for a few months i loved having my Saturdays back. Letting the mornings/afternoons/evening all blend to get her without having to look at my watch or inboxing i had to be home for a certain time was a lovey, new feeling for me. 

On gig days i hate sitting around, but cant seem to get motivated to do anything else. 

Evening gigs are a pain for that, I seem to spend my day sitting around waiting to pack up and go. My main band is going to try and do more Sunday afternoon work this year, which will cure that; love an afternoon gig.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I honestly can't think of anything I'd rather be doing on a Saturday (or any other day of the week) night than gigging.

I loved gigging , but I also love doing lots of other things , having had my diary prioritised by the band commitments , I had missed out on loads of family and friends occasions that I really wanted to do. A couple of well timed aggravations in the band setting was just enough for me to realise that my priorities now lie outside the band .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Evening gigs are a pain for that, I seem to spend my day sitting around waiting to pack up and go. My main band is going to try and do more Sunday afternoon work this year, which will cure that; love an afternoon gig.

As much as i like gigging, for me the worst part is the hours before leaving, and the journey to the gig. After that I'm fine. I just seem to be in limbo on a Sat afternoon. Plenty of time to do whatever i want, but I cant get motivated.

These days we don’t do many gigs, which suits us all. I could never go back to every weekend again. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I loved gigging , but I also love doing lots of other things , having had my diary prioritised by the band commitments , I had missed out on loads of family and friends occasions that I really wanted to do. A couple of well timed aggravations in the band setting was just enough for me to realise that my priorities now lie outside the band .

Fair point. There is nothing in my life that gets a higher priority than gigging, but that is a reflection on the fact that my family is small, my daughters grown & flown, and my social life mainly involves musicians.

• Like 3

I think my pre-gig prep is quick because of the post-gig prep I do - over a few days after a gig I always recoil the cables in the XLR and power cable trunks, print off fresh set lists, load the mixer with a patch for the next venue if one exists or if not a blank venue patch, clean basses, change batteries in IEMs/wireless packs/mics etc.  It's as much about this as it is is preparing on the day of the gig.  I know that if I grab a given case, box, etc its contents are correct and ready to rock, but I don't want to spend all gig-day sorted things out in a rush that could have done been at my leisure a few days before. 

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I honestly can't think of anything I'd rather be doing on a Saturday (or any other day of the week) night than gigging.

Definitely the case with this band - a fine set of lads and a lass...not so much with some of the bands I've previously been a part of.

I think with me it’s nerves. I don’t drive so I go with my singer, luckily we live together and she is my GF. She is a bit of a lose cannon when it comes to punctuality and quite often we arrive at places late. That’s not me at all, but until we get to the gig I worry, because this part is out of my control. So for me getting to the gig is the nerve wracking part, and I worry about it from the moment I wake up. 

• Sad 1

I was in my local pub five years back watching 6 Nations rugby with a bunch of mates, one who is a bassist for a ska band.  The second game was just finishing when 2 exasperated band members pitched up demanding to know how he had forgotten they had a gig that evening.  His missus had packed up his gear and the guys loaded it into the van beforehand, and they whisked Gary off to the gig.... about 9 pints in!!! 

He had a shocker, so I hear, but he did play!

Not ideal gig prep....

• Haha 1

Our PA is in my garage so I have to spend the afternoon checking stuff still works and that I've remembered everything, including my own gear. On the way to a gig I'll be worrying if I remembered to put the power amp (or my amp) in, and I have occasionally stopped mid journey just to check

On 01/01/2020 at 19:30, odysseus said:

I was in my local pub five years back watching 6 Nations rugby with a bunch of mates, one who is a bassist for a ska band.  The second game was just finishing when 2 exasperated band members pitched up demanding to know how he had forgotten they had a gig that evening.  His missus had packed up his gear and the guys loaded it into the van beforehand, and they whisked Gary off to the gig.... about 9 pints in!!! 

He had a shocker, so I hear, but he did play!

Not ideal gig prep....

To be fair  back in the day, my whole band prepared like this. Only once did I actually lose control of my fingers. 

Not proud of it and took years to become used to playing sober when I finally got clean. 

My prep now at least doesn't include so many bottles.