Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

19 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a great song, I remember when it came out around 1985, still sounds good now 

Yup, once you start learning it there are a few little subtleties to look out for. Really enjoying it, I hope it goes down well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

We’re adding Audioslave’s Cochise to our set as an opener, will be practicing it for the  first time at rehearsal on Tuesday. Killer song. 

What a great opener, hope it works out.  Out of interest how are you getting Timmy’s killer tone from that album??  Good luck, I’m not jealous much 😝 

• Like 1

I have a couple I’m working on at the moment.  Little green bag cos I’ve started and stopped learning it so many times, I’m now keen to get it down 100% and Three days by jane’s addiction, just cos it’s an incredible song and I’ve again started and stopped a few times but gonna give them both more time to try perfect.

5 hours ago, gt4ever said:

What a great opener, hope it works out.  Out of interest how are you getting Timmy’s killer tone from that album??  Good luck, I’m not jealous much 😝 

Presently, I have no idea what we’ll be doing - trial and error to see what we can replicate. I’d be happy with anything that comes even close!

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Queen - I want to break free.

I’m doing Queen songs at the moment too, but more 70’s ‘flat key’ stuff (somebody to live, bo’ rap, don’t stop me now) just to learn how to read again after the ‘brain drain’ of long covid.

Learning a whole Queen set at the moment. We’re having to do it in chunks of 4/5 songs at a time as it’s too much to refine in one go.
The current batch is Keep Yourself Alive, Another One Bites The Dust, You’re My Best Friend, Under Pressure and Now I’m Here.

Under Pressure is no problem as I played it for years in a Bowie tribute. Another One Bites The Dust is not exactly taxing either.

You’re My Best Friend is an interesting tune as per the studio recording, but John played a lot of the high stuff lower on Live Killers which is what we’re using as a template. Now I’m Here and Keep Yourself Alive we’re equally interesting. The guitarist properly has his work cut out for him, but he’s doing a fantastic job. He’s not that keen on playing the Brian May guitar he’s bought though. He’s ordered one of the proper expensive ones hoping it will be better. I’m sure it will be.

Had a day off playing due to pain/spending time with my family and trying to take less pain killers, went back to bass for an hour this evening and pretty much nailed that George Benson track I was struggling with. I guess a break can be a good thing. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DTB said:

George Benson track I was struggling with. I guess a break can be a good thing

Having a break can definitely work, I’ve spent hours on some basslines trying to get up to speed unsuccessfully ,and I’ve come away from them sometimes for a few hours and sometimes for a couple of days, and when I’ve returned they just fall into place 

• Like 2