Why become a member? ×

Gail Ann Dorsey

neilb

[quote name='mikeh' post='41341' date='Aug 4 2007, 07:07 PM']Good stuff, would have been better had Bowie not been singing!! :)[/quote]

More important for me is that Freddie Mercury isn´t singing.

His pseudo-opera approach was such a turn-off for me that I never realized what a good song that is.

Killer singing and playing by Ms. Dorsey.

Need to replay that one more time (at the risk of developing serious Stingray GAS).

I love her playing and voice (and am a huge Bowie fan anyway) but don't think I've seen that clip before so thanks for posting it.

And just for SOulfinger, some more Stingray GAS inducing footage of Ms Dorsey with many close ups ( and one of my fave bizarro guitarists, Reeves Gabrels)...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGT9eC04Vg8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGT9eC04Vg8[/url]

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='41348' date='Aug 4 2007, 06:26 PM']bloody hell, her voice is awesome - strong and full and she holds the pitch by the scruff of the neck. She had a bit of a glitch getting over her second bridge though.[/quote]

I wish that someone could say that I had a bit of a glitch getting over the second bridge after I had been touring with Bowie for years.

[quote name='ARGH' post='41387' date='Aug 4 2007, 08:35 PM']You ever seen Bowie with Gabrels doing 'Heros'???[/quote]
No, but I've seen King Crimson doing Heroes, with two of Bowie's old collaborators: Fripp (who was on the original) & Belew.
Gabrels is awesome, though - who else would have thought of playing a chrome-plated Steinberger guitar with a vibrator..? He's been quiet for a few years due to illness, but he's on the way back. :)

[quote name='owen' post='41413' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:47 PM']I wish that someone could say that I had a bit of a glitch getting over the second bridge after I had been touring with Bowie for years.[/quote]
+1 !! What a great gig to have ..

Gail Ann Dorsey is brilliant and has been in Bowie's band for years now which says something in itself. And IMHO, amongst all the technical, slightly overblown guitar histrionics of Belew, Earl Slick etc, she brings something different to the party for an artist like Bowie in that she's really cool and very funky..

Have always enjoyed her playing too because she plays the song, which is what really matters at the end of the day.

[quote name='mikeh' post='41341' date='Aug 4 2007, 06:07 PM']Good stuff, would have been better had Bowie not been singing!! :)[/quote]

No you aren't serious, hence the wink!

I knew she did backing vox but I just wasn't aware that she did lead vocals, stunning.

Glitch! that's not a glitch, in our band that'd be called... 'jazz'.