Why become a member? ×

Underated - band and bass player?

The Admiral

[quote name='Alun' post='385322' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:11 PM']Another underrated player - Muzz Skillings from Living Colour. Was overshadowed a bit when Doug Wimbish replaced him but some of the playing on Time's Up is scary.[/quote]

Oh Yes another f**kin awesome player.
Apparently he's a fire-fighter now.
I read it but don't know how true it is.

pj

[quote name='simon1964' post='385359' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:35 PM']Another that's just occured to me is the bass player for Elvis Costello early on in his career. Some great bass lines on tracks like Oliver's Army. No idea who he is though (and before someone says it - I did quickly google it!)[/quote]

That would be Bruce Thomas ,I think.

[quote name='PJ Phillips' post='385335' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:17 PM']NAH YER TAORKIN-A

Great bass player

Also just watched the Del Amitri link. That Justin Currie can sing can't he?
Great band.

Cheers BCers
pj[/quote]

But not on this Del Amitri encore............. great cover version!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z9t6aaDaBws"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z9t6aaDaBws[/url]

Love the Blankety Blank 'choose your encore' backdrop too.

A

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='384396' date='Jan 18 2009, 09:41 PM']At the risk of being hated and shunned.......Graeme Clarke, Wet Wet Wet's bass player is hugely underated, I reckon anyway.[/quote]

I recorded with him several times in the mid 80s and his playing was jaw dropping. Some of the early demos had basslines that would silence a room full of musos. He played mostly fretless at that time.

His recorded output was produced and controlled in my opinion but that is what happens in pop.

That was 20 years ago and I don't doubt that he could still play many of us under the table if he got the chance.

He was a really nice guy too giving up his time for free to help other people's projects

Edited by JohnR

[quote name='The Admiral' post='384365' date='Jan 18 2009, 09:11 PM']I was having an argument - as you do - with a friend the other day about a particular band, and it has prompted me to start this thread.

Which band do you think is criminally underated, and within the band who is the bass player who is also overlooked. My nomination, and the ones that featured in my argument were :

Del Amitri and Justin Currie (a less is more kind of guy - but always what is right for the song)

A quick video as evidence : [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-bkwz1iXjK4"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-bkwz1iXjK4[/url]

Your turn....

A[/quote]

+1 Love Del Amitri and that man is a great pop rock bass player, he plays exactly whats needed and very melodic both his bass playing and his songwriting.

[quote name='Josh' post='384501' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:12 PM']Simply Red's Bassist and Moloko's Bassist.

If anyone knows their names I would greatly appreciate it :P.[/quote]

Yes Steve Lewinson has been their main bass player for years, tidy player and an inspiration for me when I started as my dad was a huge SR fan. Steve Lewinsons brother plays drums for SR too I think.

[quote name='Rich' post='384834' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:53 AM']It Bites - Dick Nolan
Extreme - Pat Badger (that solo in Cupid's Dead, ye gods ;))[/quote]

+ infinity on Pat badger, awesome bass player and anyone who can keep up with Nuno Bettencourt is a legend in my eyes.

[quote name='William James Easton' post='386154' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:35 PM']crazy gods of endless noise.... the name of the bassist escapes me.[/quote]

Dont know the guy but great band I loved Razor baby i think it was? wish I had a cd of theirs.

Ok my own....

When I was 16 i saw a Cornish band called rootjoose in my town, They were jaw droppingly good live and the bass player Harry Collier was brilliant. He was tasteful, clever in note choice, brilliantly melodic, fast at times and came up with the first slap riff i ever learned, oh and sang. The band as a whole wrote some genius pop/funk songs but were a little off the wall and too happy for some. Sham eHarry went on to form the rubbish band that was Cubb wgich was dull as dish water IMHO

[quote name='NJE' post='387678' date='Jan 21 2009, 04:24 PM']+ infinity on Pat badger, awesome bass player and anyone who can keep up with Nuno Bettencourt is a legend in my eyes.[/quote]

Bit of Extreme YouTube action on a Jazz : [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vFN4Tu5yUN8"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vFN4Tu5yUN8[/url]

I saw them live at Cardiff Arms Park in 92 and Pat Badger played BC Rich Mockingbird and Warlock basses for all of the set, bar a couple of the slower ones, where he had a really nice Hofner violin bass. Good gig that : Squeeze, Little Angels (another really good band who never made it seriously big), and Bryan Adams headlining.

A

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='388052' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:45 PM']I lied guys, I've 2 more......

Alan Jones - Played Bass with the Shadows in the 80's
and also, John Farrah, again, playing with the shads.

2 awesome players.[/quote]
Aled jones was wicked i loved that snowman stuff,i never realised he played for hank and the guys though.

[quote name='Eight' post='384566' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:17 AM']I don't know about Simply Red, but Moloko's Mark Brydon used to play bass and may have played on their tracks. Fine Geordie lad there - always did like that band.[/quote]
umm no he didn't paul akbakoba played on the early stuff (he was on the tv shows) but didn't get credited due to a fall out.. he plays jazz in sheffield..
as for simply red .. the early stuff was played by shaun ward.. the sheffield legend ..