Why become a member? ×

Underated - band and bass player?

The Admiral

another one for Pat Badger! Seen Extreme on the last tour and he was great, so tight, just what the band needs!

as for my personal underrated band... Symphony X (my favourite band) and they're current bassist Mike Lepond ... I've only seen them twice, because they're not big enough to do a full headline tour of UK, but each time they were amazingly tight, while putting on an awesome show! Better than Dream Theater IMO!

Oh and of course my current band is far too underrated ;)

[quote name='SJA' post='384585' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:47 AM']Comsat Angels, bassist Kevin Bacon (not the "6 degrees of" actor!)[/quote]

The Comsats were an f-ing brilliant band & I always loved his bass playing ([url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Bacon_(producer)"]Kevin Bacon[/url] went on to have a pretty successful career as a producer)... though I'm a bit biased as I count Steve Fellows as a really good mate...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='384625' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:26 AM']Nobody ever talks about Sublime any more, they had some great bass lines:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=09mwxh4ZvdA"]Doin' Time[/url] has a great bass line. Yeah it's ripping off Gershwin completely (and honestly!) but it's a brilliant track.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UkdHzUOHI"]Saw Red[/url] - Gwen Stefani pre-fame and a lovely punk/ska bass line. Barrington Levy's hook re-used.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8WVqjqakK0"]Superstar Punani[/url] - Great punk/ska tune.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVdwNSv-Xg"]Slow Ride[/url] - Eric's bass part on this really pushes things along.[/quote]

Big vote from me!!!! ;)

I love Sublime and Eric wilson's playing, the two tracks i play regularly are Badfish and Santeria date, '40oz to freedom' is another great line . 'Scarlet begonias' i could go on........

[quote name='NJE' post='387678' date='Jan 21 2009, 04:24 PM']When I was 16 i saw a Cornish band called rootjoose in my town, They were jaw droppingly good live and the bass player Harry Collier was brilliant. He was tasteful, clever in note choice, brilliantly melodic, fast at times and came up with the first slap riff i ever learned, oh and sang. The band as a whole wrote some genius pop/funk songs but were a little off the wall and too happy for some. Sham eHarry went on to form the rubbish band that was Cubb wgich was dull as dish water IMHO[/quote]

I'd forgotten all about them ! I played on the same bill as them at a festival in the late 90s and they were phenomenal.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='PJ Phillips' post='385341' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:22 PM']Oh Yes another f**kin awesome player.
Apparently he's a fire-fighter now.
I read it but don't know how true it is.

pj[/quote]

I've heard that too and he was studying to be one when the band got their record deal so it's quite likely that he went back to it.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='385257' date='Jan 19 2009, 07:01 PM']Deacon Blue with Ewan Vernal on bass - some genius playing

And maybe not underrated as a band but I don't think the bassist gets anywhere near enough recognition - Crowded House and the wonderfully wonderful Nick Seymour ;)[/quote]

+1 on the Nick Seymour front - never plays the obvious and is human enough to fluff at least once a gig, which always ends up with Neil Finn giving him the Paddington hard stare across the stage.

I read an interview with Neil Finn where he was talking about how the band got together, and his quote regarding Nick's audition was "..... he didn't have the best chops, but he had the best trousers..... so we picked him....."

A

[quote name='yorick' post='384741' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:18 AM']Helmet, and their bass player. Can't remember his name!!! ;)[/quote]

You mean Henry Bogdan? He was with them until '97, I certainly agree with you if so. Nothing too flashy, but exactly what the songs needed, nice powerful driving bass with a great SVT tone on top.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='384749' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:31 AM']Cliff Williams AC/DC absolutely rock solid, just what that band needs. I have huge respect for his playing.[/quote]

Another one I have to agree with, and again some nice driving basslines, played through a great sounding vintage SVT or 10 :P

Some others I can think of -

Johnny Colt - The Black Crowes.

Dusty Hill - ZZ Top.

Tom Hamilton - Aerosmith.

Mark Sandman - Morphine. Sure he only had 2 strings, but it's still a bass right?

PJ Harvey.

Guto Pryce - Super Furry Animals.

Simon Jones - The Verve.

Steve Jones - Sex Pistols guitarist. For his bass playing on 'Nevermind the Bollocks...' (yep he played bass on that too).

Klaus Flouride - Dead Kennedys. Easily my favourite punk bassist.

Kim Deal - Pixies.

Kurt Danielson - TAD.

Mike Starr - Alice in Chains.

Ben Shepherd - Soundgarden.

Dan Maines - Clutch.

Chris Kosnik - The Atomic Bitchwax.

Adam Yauch (MCA) - Beastie Boys.

Andrew Weiss - Rollins Band/Ween.

Melvin Gibbs - Rollins Band.

Kevin Rutmanis - Cows/Tomahawk/Melvins.

Joe Lally - Fugazi.

Bob Weston - Shellac.

David Sims - The Jesus Lizard/Scratch Acid.

Mike Watt - The Minutemen.

Eric Avery - Jane's Addiction.

Matt Lukin - Mudhoney/Melvins.

Morgan Nicholls - Senseless Things/Gorillaz/The Streets (although I don't like Gorillaz and despise The Streets immensely).

D'Arcy Wretzky or Billy Corgan - Which ever one actually played on the Smashing Pumpkins records.

Yes, I just went through my mp3 collection, I'm that bored. Insomnia es una puta.

• 4 years later...

I'll chuck Dennis Dunaway (Alice Cooper) & Joe Bouchard (Blue Öyster Cult) into the mix. OK, their respective ex-bands are hardly underrated*, but the personnel in each tended to get overlooked.

I reckon having 'ex-Alice Cooper band' on your CV must be a close call with 'ex-Jeff Beck' & 'ex-Frank Zappa'. If you're good enough to play with the likes of them, you're [i]really[/i] good.

[size=2]*possibly BÖC are... the three albums before Agents Of Fortune ('Don't Fear The Reaper') tend to get overlooked. They shouldn't be.[/size]

[quote name='silky13' timestamp='1232814095' post='390491']
another one for Pat Badger! Seen Extreme on the last tour and he was great, so tight, just what the band needs!

as for my personal underrated band... Symphony X (my favourite band) and they're current bassist Mike Lepond ... I've only seen them twice, because they're not big enough to do a full headline tour of UK, but each time they were amazingly tight, while putting on an awesome show! Better than Dream Theater IMO!

Oh and of course my current band is far too underrated ;)
[/quote]
Saw them at wembley support to dream theater. They were better imho