Why become a member? ×

Flats on a Jazz

skywalker

I had some labella deep talking flats on my jazz for a while they were great but i went back to the roundwounds as i like bite with a jazz bass, if i ever get a precision it will always have flats i think its the perfect combination.
lee

[quote]What sound are you after? Different flats won't all sound the same[/quote]

+1 on that, I have used several brands. Roto jazz flats were quite bright, I think thats down to how they are made. I found that the lighter 40-100 guage felt like a set of 45-105 rounds tension wise. I have also used Ernie Ball flats, not as bright as the Rotos but I found the guages a bit odd (heavy top's med bottoms 50-70-95-105). Didn't quite work on my jazz, not sure if it was the odd guages with the slim Jazz neck but the E & A were slacker than the D & G. I tried Roto tru bass strings a la Herbie Flowers, they were great on my Stingray nice m'wah sound but couldn't seem to replicate it on the Jazz. The latest set of flats I am using are Status Hotwires, I have a set on my Warwick (is that ethical?) and they are sweet. I play the blues and they are spot on for that. I have yet to get a set on my Jazz but I am very pleased with the sound they produce, the tension and feel on the Warwick. Of corse there are other manufacturers to try but I think I have found the ones I like with the Hotwires.

I had them on the Jazz I sold y'day to Artisan and it played finger- and pick-style beautifully (obviously not great if you are a slapper) with very low action. I had the light-gauge Labella Deep talkin Flats (760FL code number) on them, which are best part of a tenner cheaper than TI Flats and very similar.

I use flats, great for reggae & dirty old skool funk vibes. I struggle to slap on em though (not that i'm any good at slap though) but then i suppose they're not really made for slapping. Anyone tried those nylons strings.?..am considering trying those out...bloody pricey though!

Thanks for all this. I like quite a "soft" sound as opposed to "hard and punchy". I suppose almost to sound like an upright (that might no be the best description, but I am sure you see where I'm coming from).

I think I will give it a try and see what I get.