Why become a member? ×

Using the classifieds

lushuk

Hi guys does anyone get frustrated when posting a ad on the forum to see it disappear within a few hours by posts being bumped or bumparood or bumparama or a midday bump or a bump for a nice guy or a great avatar etc ive seen items bumped several times a day!
Would a @ least 24 hr bumping rule be a good idea to give all posts/ads a fair crack?
Sorry if this has been mentioned before I did type “bump” it into search but got 3 pages just from the last day……… you get what I mean.
Perhaps a leaf from another site may be a forward step and make it fairer to posters.

“TB rules in the Classified Section specify that you may bump your ads, but only under these conditions :

- No more than one bump per 24 hour period
- All previous bumps MUST be deleted

The reason for these rules are
a) Sellers have abused 'bumps' in the past
;) Reducing 'clutter' in for sale threads

A bump is not just a post that says “bump” or “Monday morning bump” or “bumpaboo”, but ANY POST that does not feed the thread with relevant information. Examples include, but are not limited to:

- “C’mon guys, this is a wonderful bass!”
- “Get it quick or I’ll put it on eBay”
- “No-one, really ?”
- “PM replied”

Adding of pictures is a valid reason to bump your forsale thread, as long as it falls within the above rules - no more than once per 24 hours and delete prior bumps beforehand.”

Just a thought Eddy

I agree that incessant BUMPing is a pain. Maybe I need to get out more. I like the TB 24 hour rule personally.

[quote name='lushuk' post='381165' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:35 PM']Hi guys does anyone get frustrated when posting a ad on the forum to see it disappear within a few hours by posts being bumped or bumparood or bumparama or a midday bump or a bump for a nice guy or a great avatar etc ive seen items bumped several times a day!
Would a @ least 24 hr bumping rule be a good idea to give all posts/ads a fair crack?
Sorry if this has been mentioned before I did type “bump” it into search but got 3 pages just from the last day……… you get what I mean.
Perhaps a leaf from another site may be a forward step and make it fairer to posters.

“TB rules in the Classified Section specify that you may bump your ads, but only under these conditions :

- No more than one bump per 24 hour period
- All previous bumps MUST be deleted

The reason for these rules are
a) Sellers have abused 'bumps' in the past
;) Reducing 'clutter' in for sale threads

A bump is not just a post that says “bump” or “Monday morning bump” or “bumpaboo”, but ANY POST that does not feed the thread with relevant information. Examples include, but are not limited to:

- “C’mon guys, this is a wonderful bass!”
- “Get it quick or I’ll put it on eBay”
- “No-one, really ?”
- “PM replied”

Adding of pictures is a valid reason to bump your forsale thread, as long as it falls within the above rules - no more than once per 24 hours and delete prior bumps beforehand.”

Just a thought Eddy[/quote]

I'm all for decluttering the active 'View New Posts' section.

I've no problem with keeping out bumps within 24 hours.

I've mentioned before, that it would be good to keep out non-interactive threads (i.e. posts that do not require a response). These include Feedback postings as well as Sold/Withdrawn thread enders.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='381192' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:54 PM']But this in turn would make other people bump their threads more...[/quote]

Most people already bump their threads though, you'd presume Lushuk isn't doing the same so based on that it would just be a case of if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

definitely agree!

I bump mine every two or three days after deleting some/most of the previous bumps.

probably would be difficult to moderate though?? perhaps as a community we need shake-up and re-think the classified and...perhaps a fee is overdue also?

andy

[quote name='lushuk' post='381165' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:35 PM']Hi guys does anyone get frustrated when posting a ad on the forum to see it disappear within a few hours by posts being bumped or bumparood or bumparama or a midday bump or a bump for a nice guy or a great avatar etc ive seen items bumped several times a day!
Would a @ least 24 hr bumping rule be a good idea to give all posts/ads a fair crack?[/quote]

which forum view? the view new posts view or the actual relevant for sale sub forum?

a bump should only be to bring it back into view on the first page of the relevant [i][b][u]sub-forum[/u][/b][/i], [i][b][u][color="#FF0000"]NOT[/color][/u][/b][/i] the view new posts first page...

a bump in all fairness, shouldn't be done until [i][b][u]both[/u][/b][/i]:
1) it is no longer on the first page of the particular sub-forum
2) more than 2 days since the last post in that thread...

I personally would like to see bumps reduced in frequency to no more than 1 bump in a week

Some good points.
For example there is a post on there now with 6 bumps in the last 24 hrs mentioning no names,,,,, to join in the bumpmania to keep it on the front page would just add to the clutter, as mr cooke suggests a week would be good although 3 days would be more realistic.
Theres even 1 ad which consists 27 posts in 6 days 21 of which are bumps of which 5 are threats to put it on ebay! by the way its still for sale by the looks of it lol

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='381240' date='Jan 15 2009, 01:19 PM']....the easiest way to do that is to take the Basschat Market Place out of the View New Posts....[/quote]
Nooooo.... I want to keep an eye on what's for sale.

OK, here's a compromise.... have 2 view new posts one with for sale and one without. Now we're all happy.

I think the key is that people would be bumping someone elses thread without any mallace; they’re just commenting on your gear in a positive way and would like to draw people’s attention to is cos they think it’s a great bit of kit. What you’re effectively saying now is “thanks for the nice comments but no thanks - don’t litter my for sale thread with small talk”. Maybe the classifieds isn’t the best place to talk about the intrinsic qualities of different bits of gear or to discuss the pros and cons of the gear for sale vs something else, but I’m always very happy when people comment on my for sale thread with stuff like “great bit of kit this – have a bump on me” cos it’s positive advertising; how can that be a bad thing? Quite honestly, I couldn't give a rats arse if someone gets annoyed that they've wasted 5 seconds of their day reading a positive comment from another member in my for sale thread.

I agree that people bumping their own threads should delete the old bumps to stop it becoming cluttered – that’s what I’ve started to do anyway, and I also leave it at least 24 hours and usually about 48 hours before bumping my own stuff - I think that should be standard; why bother bumping any more than that? – Everyone’s seen it so it just means they’re not interested in it.

[quote name='birdy' post='381302' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:12 PM']I think you should only be allowed to BUMP after you have had sex (and yourself shouldnt count).[/quote]

Well I suppose this means I'm well fecked then!! or will that count because I'm fecked for no getting fecked?? ;) :P

[quote name='birdy' post='381302' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:12 PM']I think you should only be allowed to BUMP after you have had sex (and yourself shouldnt count).[/quote]

Isn't it a bit over the top to bump 3 times a day though...? :brow: