Jump to content
Scales

Light Weight Cab

Recommended Posts

Hi

Not sure if this has been raised before, I'm thinking of making my own light weight cab for small pub gigs and open mics. I'm thinking of a 1x 10 in a cab which is very transportable, the head would be small and in fit into a rucksack. Has anyone completed a similar project and has any knowledge to share?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the casing is not stiff and tight, the bass response is affected. Very small box raises the lowest reproducible frequency. If you need an efficient and small box, the low end response is also sacrificed. What else you needed to know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this nominative determinism?

How light are you thinking? The long thread on Stevie's 1x12 design will give you a lightweight cab at about 14kg, that's not in Barefaced 1x10 category but it's an easy one hand carry. Alternatively you could use the Faital neo driver Stevie used in the 'Easy Build' 1x12 that I designed. that would not just be lighter but crucially would be an easier carry because it is so small. if you used poplar ply I reckon you could come in just under 10kg.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil's easy-build cab is a good solution. See if you can find the video, which is on Basschat somewhere and contains step-by-step instructions for assembly, along with lots of useful hints and tips along the way. The cab would also be suitable for a 10" driver.

The BCcab 112s seem to be coming in at under 13kg, Phil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I haven't made a 110 work on a gig yet, but I've used a 112 quite often. 

I've gigged a single Barefaced one10 on lots of gigs in small pubs with drummer and guitarist.  It coped easily enough using with a GK MB200 or, over the last couple of years, with a Quilter BB800.

I have a pair of one10s and combined, they can cope with any gig I'm likely to do.:)

Frank.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input all, I've watched the video and read the 12inch cab build thread. That's the kind of thing I'm after only smaller, l'd go for 10mm ply etc to save weight. Around the 10kg mark would be good, so easily carried in one hand. Construction isn't a problem for me but I'm totally new to self built cabs,  is there any guidance on speakers and drives out there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just weighed the 30l easy build and with a beyma fitted it's 11.4 kg. If you fitted the faital 320 it would save you around 1.9kg so 9.5kg and you might be able to save a further kg using poplar ply. If you got it down to 8.5 kg that would only be a kg more than the Barefaced One 10. It would be 2-3db louder too. So is it the size that concerns you?

There aren't any definitive guides to drivers out there and that's why a group of us have been designing things on here on BassChat, it gives you the chance to build something with a high probability of success with a tested design. Designing speakers is not rocket science and there is all the information you need out there but it does involve  a lot of knowledge. If you are looking for smaller than the 30l cab then you are probably going to be limited to a single 10. If that's what you absolutely want I'm sure people on BC would help you with that design process.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weight saving is possible, but the box has to be rigid. It can be done with supports from around the center of the opposite panels.

Remember to tighten the screws after a month or so, and use a good material to seal every single seam. Leaks weaken especially the bass response. Element needs a gasket to prevent air leaks, which would also equal weak bass response. You can easily test this by trying to play (with a low volume) with the element only, and then put it to a whichever box or tube. The difference is drastic.

If you know something about photography, then the ISO-aperture-time -triangle is familiar to you. The same in bass is: efficiency-cabinet volume-lowest reproducible frequency.

Do not hunt for 20 or 30 Hz. 50 - 60 Hz is already very good, because ear works in a bit funny way.

Edited by itu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

There aren't any definitive guides to drivers out there...

Eminence has cabinet designs for most of their bass/pro-sound woofers posted on their website. In most cases they have two or more designs in various sizes, ported and sealed if the driver is suitable for both. Low frequency response charts and other details like impedance, excursion and maximum SPL charts. The only thing they don't show is how to build the cabinet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Eminence has cabinet designs for most of their bass/pro-sound woofers posted on their website. In most cases they have two or more designs in various sizes, ported and sealed if the driver is suitable for both. Low frequency response charts and other details like impedance, excursion and maximum SPL charts. The only thing they don't show is how to build the cabinet. 

That's true, they are really helpful and I know people here have used those designs. Unfortunately other manufacturers aren't so helpful so comparisons with the other ranges isn't covered. I guess that's the advantage of having a stable range of products. One up for the USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input all, I've done some further reading and Phil's easy-build cab would work for what I need. I have some questions as a beginner to this, I've always used combos:

How important are the ports? Can they be reduced in size or only one used to save height on the cab.

Can someone point me to a good supplier where I could buy a good quality 12 speaker for this build? 

Are there any pointers to specs for a head for a 12 inch cab?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, itu said:

Every parameter counts. If you change the size of a port, you tune the cab.

Fair enough, I can work to the original design. Are there any pointers on speaker supplier or model and amp out there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to go out for a gig :)

I'll get back to you soon but am happy to make talk through any problems you come across.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 10:02, Scales said:

Hi

Not sure if this has been raised before, I'm thinking of making my own light weight cab for small pub gigs and open mics. I'm thinking of a 1x 10 in a cab which is very transportable, the head would be small and in fit into a rucksack. Has anyone completed a similar project and has any knowledge to share?

Hi Scales,

I'm not sure where you are based, but I am using a home-brew 1 by 10 that weighs about 7 kg.

The build thread and drawings are here 

I roam around south Manchester / Warrington / M6 J20 and if you are in the vicinity you are welcome to come and audition it.

David

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mottlefeeder,  many thanks, that's a good read, I like your mk1 with a 10inch speaker and your cabs look good! This is food for thought for me as 7kg using 9mm ply would put the cab weight where I'd like to be. Have spent a long time lugging heavy kit around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting to me...

I have a a big TE combo, and 150W Laney head plus some hefty cabs (1x15, two 2x12), then my tidgy Orange Crush.

It looks like I will be doing some small venue/low volume gigs with acoustic guitar and singer, but even for a cafe bar session I don't think teh Orange will be up to it. The laney plus a 2x12 is my only realistic option at the moment.

But... I have a 'mini' 50W amp I made with 4 x 4" speakers that sounds good (and loud) through a 2x12.

You have me thinking I could rehouse it in a small cab with a decent 10" speaker (or just saw off the top of the mini-amp and make a stand alone 10" cab). I certainly don't need thumping low-end to compete with an acoustic guitar or a keyboard (on piano or electric piano setting).

Alternative is go through the PA but I have no idea what we will be using for one yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This is interesting to me...

I have a a big TE combo, and 150W Laney head plus some hefty cabs (1x15, two 2x12), then my tidgy Orange Crush.

It looks like I will be doing some small venue/low volume gigs with acoustic guitar and singer, but even for a cafe bar session I don't think teh Orange will be up to it. The laney plus a 2x12 is my only realistic option at the moment.

But... I have a 'mini' 50W amp I made with 4 x 4" speakers that sounds good (and loud) through a 2x12.

You have me thinking I could rehouse it in a small cab with a decent 10" speaker (or just saw off the top of the mini-amp and make a stand alone 10" cab). I certainly don't need thumping low-end to compete with an acoustic guitar or a keyboard (on piano or electric piano setting).

Alternative is go through the PA but I have no idea what we will be using for one yet.

That sounds interesting- got any pics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

That sounds interesting- got any pics?

I haven't made it yet...

Actually I measure up and there's JUST enough room for an Eminence Alpha 10 instead of the four small speakers and the volume will be an almost ideal 11.8 litres, not huge response below 100Hz, but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

 I have a 'mini' 50W amp I made with 4 x 4" speakers that sounds good (and loud) through a 2x12.

I meant this bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I meant this bit!

Hah! I'll photograph it tomorrow 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2019 at 21:49, Mottlefeeder said:

Hi Scales,

I'm not sure where you are based, but I am using a home-brew 1 by 10 that weighs about 7 kg.

The build thread and drawings are here 

 

Absolutely brilliant David!

I'm going to build a similar cab to your MK1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...