Why become a member? ×

A very special bass.....

GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='373672' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:27 PM']IMO the only way to buy an ACG is to call in and spend 3 hrs going through his stock and talking about your needs. Therapy in it's purest sense :)

Peter[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I spent that time and more on Tuesday picking the woods for the first ever Recurve 5 String. I met up with Peter and "our kid", Dave Perry. I went there with what I thought was a clear idea of what I wanted and came away ordering something completely different, (not in a Monty Python way).
Thought I wanted a Finn and ended up falling in love with the Recurve. Even the pick-up configuration will be different to what I originally envisaged. There are so many different variables that it is easy to get lost and some may even find it all too much, but there is indeed something therapeutic about laying pieces of wood on the floor and admiring them in all their glory.
Alan has an uncanny knack of being supportive in your choice without making it for you.
Thanks to Peter and Dave for confirming my choice.
Oh. nearly forgot, having seen the bass in the flesh it is indeed a thing of beauty and those pick-ups are something else.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='374524' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:14 PM']Spiffnifficent Pedro :) - I'm going to have to take the plunge methinks.[/quote]
Well AL i've pulled the trigger on one and I will guarentee you WILL get the sound you want out of one of Alan's creations. Best part is I'm not paying for it either. Happy days. :huh:

[quote name='BassBunny' post='374590' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:03 PM']Well AL i've pulled the trigger on one and I will guarentee you WILL get the sound you want out of one of Alan's creations. Best part is I'm not paying for it either. Happy days. :)[/quote]

Ahhh good man Stu. I've always wanted one since I saw and played Pedro's previous ACG and took the first steps exchanging emails with Alan but I backed down when he hold me how long it would be 'in make'. I told him that i didn't know what I liked in a bass and that I'd probably sell it before it was finished and left it at that.

However, I've given up alcohol (temporarily) and ridiculously strong coffee so it's possible that I may calm down sufficiently and develop the necessary patience to order one.

It'd be a Recurve 5 S/C for me. Sexy.

Peter is one lucky man....

Got to say this bass is [i]stunning [/i]in the flesh. I'm not a massive fan of single cuts (purely on looks) but Alan's do impress me every time.

But damn, when peter opened up the case and we saw the finished article....stunning.

This Harlot is a very small bodied bass making the neck look a little longer in scale than it is, I love it. Very light weight and the electrics are awesome....its a dream to play.

I can't comment enough on how nice a guy Alan is, and how spending time going through all the [i]little [/i]bits of the build is just of no apparent problem for him....

Looking like another 6ish weeks for my headless ACG....It will be my turn to drive up to moffatt then Peter....your turn to eat the biscuits at Alans...

Nice to meet up with Stuart (bassbunny) at the wonderful world of ACG.....no he aint my Dad...hes just older and [i]almost [/i]as bald as me.......His bass is going to be another stunner.....

Dave

I've been, surprise surprise - getting aquainted with my little Harlot indoors. It just gets better. The assymetry to the neck is more obvious with the narrower 4 vs the 5 and it's just perfect. Getting a 4 was the right decision for me no doubt, and I know that makes me some sort of an 'Uber Numpty' in ARGH's eyes but I can live with myself, just :P

I've been playing with the pre and getting dub, J, P, Piano and ultra bright. There are so many ways to change the tone and it all makes sense after a short while.

Balance is perfect and there's so much pickup it's almost a ramp (not that I dig in enough to need one). Not ideal for popping but that for me is a bonus ;)

Just like to say:

[size=7]Thank you Alan![/size]

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='373815' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:19 AM']...I may make the Yorkshire bash ;)

Anyone fancy an ACG pre demo?

Peter[/quote]

Yes please, that would be interesting, there should be some serious bits of bass there by all accounts - I'm planning on bringing a car full!

Given that they normally wouldn't notice if I brought along a broomstick and tea chest they were all very impressed, to the extent that they kept on remarking on it both looks and sound wise.

I usually take either my Warmoth or my Spector and they deliver very different tones. At one extreme the Spector won't do what the Warmoth does and vice versa. The Harlot does it all.

Edited by GreeneKing

Yo Jon

This is going through my LMII although I am going to swap over the LH and LM in my rack to see how it sounds.

The Alembic thing for me is not about the ability of an Alembic to do the job of a bass well so much as the whole package of looks, history and 'brand culture'. I really have my Ric CS and C64S for the same reasons although they both sound sweet enough. There's an investment angle too but that's an excuse really.

So there's no way I can afford an Alembic but if I could and the right one came along I'd be seriously tempted but like the Rics it'd stay in its case most of the time and come out on holidays ;)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='375957' date='Jan 10 2009, 10:12 AM']So there's no way I can afford an Alembic but if I could and the right one came along I'd be seriously tempted but like the Rics [b]it'd stay in its case most of the time and come out on holidays ;)[/b][/quote]

I promise you it wouldn't. I've got one of these and it goes everywhere with me.

[attachment=18456:MKDlx5Re...erLED2TN.jpg]

I would love to compare my bass with yours as it seem Alan is upholding a similar ethos to Alembic. Especially in the "these are musical instruments to be played" regard.

Edited by jakesbass

I've produced a few samples to try and show the versatility of the ACG pre-amp. I'm a basic bass player who enjoys himself so don't expect too much in terms of ability. Recorded into an Edirol R-09HR using a line input from my Warwick combo EQ flat. Massaged with Pyro Audio Creator LE and saved as a WMA file.

The 1st is an extreme, total dub. Neck pup only, low pass set to minimum and no treble boost at all.

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=420122402.wma"]http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=420122402.wma[/url]

Next comes the opposite extreme, bridge pup, low pass fully open and treble max boost high pass closed.

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=7723174.wma"]http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=7723174.wma[/url]

The above two samples are not selected to sound particularly 'good', just illustrate the extremes the pre is capable of.

Next up is my attempt at a P sound. Here the pickups are set individually with some treble added and all that I have done to change from P to J is adjust the blend control. An infinite range of tones is available in between.

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=643433909.wma"]http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=643433909.wma[/url]

and finally a J sound

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=880900521.wma"]http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=880900521.wma[/url]

Please bear in mind the amount of processing these samples have gone through between the bass and you computer speakers ;)

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing