Why become a member? ×

First bassline of 2009

ednaplate

I'll start this off with Pearl Jam's Black.

I've dozens of tracks I've torn out of guitar mags over the years and I was looking through them last night while watching Jools Holland (Martha Reeves was bloody awful) all on my tod (I do have friends except my wife's got the lurgy as have just about everyone I know). I came across this track that I haven't heard in years, had a listen on my ipod and loved the bassline. It sounds more complicated than it is and it is at quite a slow pace.

I'm slowly tabbing the piece (originally from Guitar World March 1994). In isolation many of the fills are very Jamerson inspired and follow the basic chords outline of E7 A D and C. I'm not a massive grunge fan but good playing is good playing whatever it is accompanying and Jeff Ament's on this is very tasteful. Didn't he play some weird 8 string fretless instrument? Sounds good whatever it was.

So what are you all playing right this minute????

Did anyone see my Doors/Casualty soundalike thread? I was a bit beery at the time but now my head has cleared it does sound very similar.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='367853' date='Jan 1 2009, 04:28 PM']Just played Jaco's "Come On, Come Over."[/quote]

Me too. Only I can't do the second half of the hook without my fingers getting in a a tangle - seems to be a mental/physical block

[quote name='ednaplate' post='367831' date='Jan 1 2009, 04:00 PM'].... Jeff Ament's on this is very tasteful. Didn't he play some weird 8 string fretless instrument? Sounds good whatever it was.[/quote]
IIRC that one is a standard 4 string fretless, although he did use a 12 string on Jeremy and there may well be some 8 string lurking on their albums too :)

It is a fantastic bassline though.

Haven't picked my bass up since finishing my NY gig at 1.30 this morning, but my next challenge may well be transcribing some of Muzz Skillings' playing on Living Colour's "Time's Up" CD.

Cheers
Alun

my first tune played in the new year way rio by duran duran at my mates new year party . we were fancy dress and all that 80s so who better than john taylor brought my bass for the photos etc but me mate hired a marque so brought the combo and wireless system and kick off the nightwalkin into the marque playing to the record went down very well , bit of a change from the usuall.

I got this DIVA CD off Santa and at first glance thought there was nothing on it really that I was particularly interested in and it would do for something new to listen to while driving. But, I put it on while playing earlier and listened to Cher, Strong Enough and the bassline is excellent!!!!!

That's exactly the sound I like, slinky sliding basslines. Anyone know the bass player is?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='368085' date='Jan 1 2009, 10:00 PM']Solange's "Sandcastle Disco"[/quote]

I love that tune!

First song I played this year was Rasberry Beret (Prince) and the first bassline I've been working on is 'Sitting On the Dock of the bay' (Otis Redding) - both great fun to do..

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='367839' date='Jan 1 2009, 04:12 PM']Am still trying to polish Talk Talks' its my life!

matt[/quote]

Here you go. This is the last one I learn't to play. Sorry I don't smile much in the video but there is a story behind that. For the last 20 years I have only ever played with a plectrum. I gave up bass for around 5 years and when I started up again at the end of 2007, I decided to learn to use my fingers so this is my first ever complete song I have played using fingers. So basically I am concentrating lots. Oh, plus I am playing on a fretless which is also my first song on a fretless. If you want any tips on the song then just ask.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nRqi9p8wA&feature=channel_page"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nRqi9p8wA&...re=channel_page[/url]

Not starting 2009 as I mean to go on... only managed to grab ten minutes or so with the bass and I fly away for a week tonight. Bah.

But, the first line I played this year was "My Michelle" (Guns and Roses). Played badly of course, I'm a newb and it turns out Duff McKagan was actually pretty good. :)

Followed by a few attempts to figure out "Feed The Gods" by White Zombie. Struggling... not helped that I'm pretty sure the guitar tab I looked at for a bit of a clue seems wrong.