Why become a member? ×

Right guys, help deciding

Russty_dub

right, due to money things and im trading a bass in, ive narrowed down my search to 2 basses

the Ernieball MM Sub in black, and Fender Jazz in black

theyre both around the £600 mark just wondering whats better

i mainly play rocky stuff, occasionally gets a bit heavier, ive always wanted a MM bass, but always like the fender Jazz

oh and other than shape, what are the main differences?

cheers yall

The Sub sounds a bit like a Stingray - and , at some future point , you'll wish it was one.

The Jazz sounds a lot like everything you ever heard with the possible exception of a Stingray but you might find a growly spot with the knobs that's getting there.

You wouldn't want a tool kit that only has a hammer - so get the Jazz , never sell it , and learn from long experience and adventures with it what other bass or basses you may want or need - very probably none.

Edited by Dr.Dave

If you prefer a narrower neck (like the Jazz) you may wish to contemplate a Sub-Sterling.

And you can get a s/h Stingray for around £650-750 these days if you're patient. A s/h Sub should, in theory, come in around £350-450.

Edit - and then ther's this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34547"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34547[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

MM SUB all the way, if you like a nice growly, punchy sound, that's the way forward. If you like a boring generic sound, get the jazz. (i have both)

I'm also of the opinion that EBMM basses (even the SUBs) are of much higher build quality than any fender, and EQ'd right, it can sound fairly similar too. Though a jazz will never sound like a musicman.

Edited by budget bassist

If you're gonna get a new MusicMan but you can only afford a Sub, I'd reccomend getting a used Stingray instead cos you'll just end up wanting one in 3 months. It's like a Porsche Boxster; you only get one if you can't afford a 911.

Personally I'd go for a Sterling if I was going for another MusicMan.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='363855' date='Dec 26 2008, 07:34 PM']If you like a boring generic sound, get the jazz. (i have both)[/quote]
Boring and generic are not adjectives I associate with any of my jazzes (Lakland DJ4, Fender Marcus Miller and a Reggie Hamilton)
I own a Stingray too. Whilst it's a punchy, slap monster it is nowhere near as versatile as the Jazzes.

So my vote goes to the Jazz.

My opinion is that stingrays (and subs, for that matter!) are like smaller versions of
God, but with more strings! I love the sound, and can't see me playin anything else, unless I'm bein paid handsomly to do so! Try one of each out, if you can...or research bands with a bass tone you like, and see if they use rays or jazzes. If your still undecided then get a 20p and heads is a ray, tails is a jazz!

[quote name='rayfw' post='363907' date='Dec 26 2008, 09:40 PM']Boring and generic are not adjectives I associate with any of my jazzes (Lakland DJ4, Fender Marcus Miller and a Reggie Hamilton)
I own a Stingray too. Whilst it's a punchy, slap monster it is nowhere near as versatile as the Jazzes.

So my vote goes to the Jazz.[/quote]
I have a reggie hamilton jazz (nice to see another reggie owner :) ) and a SUB, and while the jazz is a nice bass, i do find that it sounds a bit boring, i much prefer the musicman growl, but that's personal preference. It's just that almost every bassist uses a jazz, and while i can see that they're fairly versatile and have nice necks, i think that the musicman is just as versatile and sounds more interesting too.

[quote name='Hamster' post='364016' date='Dec 27 2008, 12:14 AM']As you're not asking for something that's versatile, and you play rock and heavier stuff, I'd go for the Sub. In fact, if you snipe about on eBay, you'll get a Stingray within your budget.[/quote]

True, I nailed a pristine mid90's figured-necked ray5 for £660, right now your cash will get a helluvalotta bass!

Owned a few of both Rays and Jazzes. For £600 you'll get a near mint MIA Jazz or Ray4.
TBH you're wasting your time asking our opinions. They are completely different beasts but are both basses! - so therefore you could use either in a band for the low end. Only you can decide whether it fits in with 'your' sound. IMHO neither is more versatlie than the other but if you're more of a 'Rock God' I'd go for the Ray.

the prob ive got is money flow atm, only reason why i could afford them is im trading my ESP LTD f104 bass in against it, and im struggling to sell my Bass collection,

still its my birthday in few weeks so i might have enough coin to buy one with out selling my bass collection!!

i like some of the quotes put here btw, but as some of you have noticed, i play more rocky stuff and ive always really wanted the MM sub,

only thing is i cant really tell the diff between the sub n ray, and ive played the sterling, i did not like that at all,

cheers yall!

[quote name='Russty_dub' post='364624' date='Dec 28 2008, 09:30 AM']only thing is i cant really tell the diff between the sub n ray, and ive played the sterling, i did not like that at all,[/quote]

Looking at the way you play (assuming that's you in your Avi), In the long run I think you'd find the Ray more comfortable than the Sub - profiled body!

[quote name='Linus27' post='365849' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:58 PM']Yes, please be aware that the SUB has a solid body, so no cut out at the back. You may find this a problem so worth trying one first.[/quote]

+1 - I tried a Sub and didn't get on with it at all - but for your budget you should be able to get a decent secondhand Stingray. I just bought this from someone on here for pretty much what you're looking to spend - I've seen some go for cheaper than that on Ebay recently as well.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='363855' date='Dec 26 2008, 07:34 PM']I'm also of the opinion that EBMM basses (even the SUBs) are of much higher build quality than any fender[/quote]

Having recently bought a 2008 MIA jazz I have to disagree with this statement.

Russty as others have suggested if you decide to go down the 'Ray route then go with a second hand EBMM. These have been going for stupid prices in recent months so for about your budget you could get a hell of a lot of bass.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='365999' date='Dec 30 2008, 08:50 AM']Having recently bought a 2008 MIA jazz I have to disagree with this statement.

Russty as others have suggested if you decide to go down the 'Ray route then go with a second hand EBMM. These have been going for stupid prices in recent months so for about your budget you could get a hell of a lot of bass.[/quote]

All the MIA Jazz's (and the MIM and Squiers for that matter) I played when I was deciding what bass to go for were extremely good quality wise - the build quality on the MIA's I played is easily up there with Musicman - I would definitely say that the Stingrays feel more substantial (they are built like tanks) but I don't think it's a "quality" issue more to do with how they are built/designed - completely different feel to both basses and you should go for what feels right for you.