Why become a member? ×

Is it possible to slap on a Fender P-Bass?

You can slap anything that has a gap between the neck and neck pup so yes you can - just as you can slap a 'Ray (and many have). Probably the only basses that cant be slapped are gibson style with a pup right next to the neck. Why you would want to is another matter.

I find p basses one of the easiest basses to slap, because of the pickguard, the distance between that and board/fret is quite small, especially if you have a low action which is what you want for slap bass. Same applies to jazzes I guess. My jackson has no guard and a big distance between the body and the board, and I really think it makes things more difficult, especially with thumbing..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Talking of slap, I just received from Amazon Level 42 'Live at Wembley' on DVD, way to go Mark!

Seriously, I dream to be able to play like the meister of slap. The fact I was also a drummer first might help me on my way!

Back to the DVD - great show, great tight band, they really were superb live - great, great, great Mark King!!

[quote name='ped' post='61085' date='Sep 16 2007, 11:28 AM']Listen to 'I don't trust myself (With loving you)' by John Mayer on iTunes or something - Pino tweaks some lovely little pops out of his P bass, and is a great example of how it can be the most funky sound imagineable![/quote]

Ped,

You da man....... I'm well into JM and Continuum is the dogs danglies and trying to pick up PPs basslines is challenging as there are some real sublte little bits in here and there.....

Those little pops are a little finger tweak....

Gravity, is a particular favorite of my guitarist and me, and we're getting it pretty tight now!

:)

do NOT slap on a P bass... a rare and unfounded urban myth is going around that a saw blade will materialise between the 2 coils and saw off your pinky's nail...

Course you can slap on a P bass... you can slap on a rickenbacker, you can slap on a fretless bass... Hell, Reggie Wooten slaps on a stratocaster!

[quote name='SJA' post='78181' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:08 PM']Derek Forbes is slapping a P bass in this clip-
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJE3FQR6orE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJE3FQR6orE[/url][/quote]
Thats the first time I've seen another P bass [b][i]exactly[/i][/b] like mine. I believe fender only made them in that colour in 81/82 (unless I'm misinformed of course). Mine weights about a ton.