Why become a member? ×

help please

greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='355804' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:44 AM']Hi all im thinking of trading my 08 p bass for a rickenbacker bass, but i have the problem that i have never heard one! can someone give me an idea of the tone? I love the p. but it lacks in the slap sound. How does a rick sound for slap?

Regards, Rich.[/quote]

Rickenbackers + Slap = Fail.

Umm almost anything by The Jam I guess, or Yes or early Rush.

They are generally very aggressive sounding, awkward to play and have looks only a proud mother could love. Yet they are an icon.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='355804' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:44 AM']Hi all im thinking of trading my 08 p bass for a rickenbacker bass,
Regards, Rich.[/quote]

I cant see anyone trading there Rickenbacker for an 8 pence Bass.. :)
Or maybe they would.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Josh' post='355810' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:49 AM']Rickenbackers + Slap = Fail.

Umm almost anything by The Jam I guess, or Yes or early Rush.

They are generally very aggressive sounding, awkward to play and have looks only a proud mother could love. Yet they are an icon.[/quote]

Haha i did think that but wanted to hear it from someone else. From what i remember they have a very mid sound with no bright treable at all. Maybe a good jazz is the answer for a good all round bass.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='355818' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:51 AM']Haha i did think that but wanted to hear it from someone else. From what i remember they have a very mid sound with no bright treable at all. Maybe a good jazz is the answer for a good all round bass.[/quote]

Rickenbackers have only one sound unfortunately, and thus is the lure to them but I've never seen/heard the fuss being justified. Though as previously said, they are just as iconic as the P-Bass and Jazz. A good Jazz will cover most of the tones, but it depends what tones your after exactly man.

Edited by Josh

They're not renowned as a slapper's bass at all. I think you'd be dissapointed if that's the reason you want one. As most of the other chatters have said, a good Jazz bass will cover 99% of everything and slap great. Having said that, they're well made, seem to hold their price and look seriously cool. If your trying for a swap, have a look at a Status. You can probably pick up an energy or energy artiste for not a lot of money and even find a staright swap if you're lucky. They'll do a great job in the slapping dept.

I've owned two Ricks (a 4001 and a 4003) and concur - no way do they work with slap style. They are clanky, honky mid-range rock beasts and - I think - fantastic looking. But they are rubbish for slap, period.

Change your p/u (cheapest option) or swap for a Jazz would be my advice if you want a versatile bass with slap-ability.

[quote name='ARGH' post='355844' date='Dec 16 2008, 12:12 PM']Save yourself the worry,and replace the P's P/U,a Dimarzio gives out a good slap tone[/quote]

+1 to Mr. ARGH's sugestion & possibly swap out the bridge also if you want.
P-Bass is the way to go if you want a nice old-skool slap sound - keep it, if it plays well for you.

There again if you want to do typewriter impersonations...